Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

LWP vs. TA girdles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LWP vs. TA girdles

So like the name entitles what would be better? I seen the TA has the bolts that push againts the bearings but the LPW has the attachment for the braces. So in your guys opinion which one would be better I like the idea of the braces but the bearing bolts sounds even better. I couldnt find anywhere that the LPW had the bolts for the bearings so it seems that it's impossible to have best of both worlds. I have a 2000 z28 with a A4 I don't drag the car its built up ish but only for car shows and daily driving and having fun. So i dont need to invest in a 9 or 12 anything like that. I know some people say its more a peace of mind thing which is fine but there has to be some truth behind it or people still wouldnt use them. And dont tell me that its because of the drain and filler because I'm sure I seen a kit for that at auto zone for like $20 lol. So my question is what would be better axel braces or bearing brace? I could find anything comparing the two so Idk. Maybe the TA and have someone weld pieces to it to make axel braces lol
Old 02-02-2018, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

TA covers are nice. Ive had a few.

Took the whole rear end for powder coating

Then I put this one on my Yukon but you can see is the same style.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Get one with the bearing cap bolts plus a brace kit. It is the common cover we use here when we build 8.8 for the Mustang crowd.

We offer them with a brace kit.
Diff Cover With Brace Kit.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
TA covers are nice. Ive had a few.

Took the whole rear end for powder coating

Then I put this one on my Yukon but you can see is the same style.

wow looks really good. Did you notice a difference like if it felt stronger or lasted longer?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Get one with the bearing cap bolts plus a brace kit. It is the common cover we use here when we build 8.8 for the Mustang crowd.

We offer them with a brace kit.
Diff Cover With Brace Kit.
do they actually work I mean they look Nice lol but do they actually do anything? Plus how do you hook the braces to the rear piece not the girdle but the tube lol
Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm curious about this as well. From what I've read it's highly debatable if these girdles are even worth it all on a 10 bolt. I have an opportunity to buy a ProForm girdle for about $60, so I think I'll try it, but I'm not so sure it's worth the $150 new that most cost. They do look nice though, so that's worth a couple bucks itself lol
Old 02-02-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its really hard to imagine they do much. I mean just realistically thinking, it doesnt SEEM like the cap will deflect much. However, I have heard the caps do flex quite a bit more then you would think. Whichever school of thought you believe, they dang sure wont hurt and you get something that looks better, and has a dedicated drain and fill.

For slightly less money they do make aluminum covers without the bearing supports. Id spend the little bit more money and get the full package. Tip, If you go bare aluminum, at least clear coat it. Will make it slightly less likely to stain.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its really hard to imagine they do much. I mean just realistically thinking, it doesnt SEEM like the cap will deflect much. However, I have heard the caps do flex quite a bit more then you would think. Whichever school of thought you believe, they dang sure wont hurt and you get something that looks better, and has a dedicated drain and fill.

For slightly less money they do make aluminum covers without the bearing supports. Id spend the little bit more money and get the full package. Tip, If you go bare aluminum, at least clear coat it. Will make it slightly less likely to stain.
How did you like that Perfect Launch girdle? Any issues at all? That's looks exactly like the one I'm considering for $60
Old 02-02-2018, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its on the yukon which is a GM 8.5 10 bolt. Seems fine to me.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good deal. Figured why not at that price.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'm curious about this as well. From what I've read it's highly debatable if these girdles are even worth it all on a 10 bolt. I have an opportunity to buy a ProForm girdle for about $60, so I think I'll try it, but I'm not so sure it's worth the $150 new that most cost. They do look nice though, so that's worth a couple bucks itself lol
same reason I asked because someone offered me on cheap and I figured I'd ask to see what the hype is or isnt about.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

it could all be a joke I mean they could work but if you launch it at like 5k I dont think anything will hold it in there lol. But for daily driving and the occasional red light to redlight cough cough lol it mind hold it up just fine. Idk I'll get one and let you guys know.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like mentioned above, it certainly can't hurt. I'm right there with on trying this since it will be cheap. Keep us posted and I'll do the same when I do mine
Old 02-02-2018, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Philhippy45
it could all be a joke I mean they could work but if you launch it at like 5k I dont think anything will hold it in there lol. But for daily driving and the occasional red light to redlight cough cough lol it mind hold it up just fine. Idk I'll get one and let you guys know.
I run a TA girdle on my 10 bolt with 3.73's. Have been for about 5 years now. I absolutely think the studs help support the bearing caps imo.

A 10 bolt will live a while behind a A4. Here is my stack of slips with all of them being anywhere from a 1.7x 60' to 1.5x 60'.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'm curious about this as well. From what I've read it's highly debatable if these girdles are even worth it all on a 10 bolt.l
I gathered the same in my search for info. I had my 10 bolt rebuilt years ago when it started whining, and went from 3.23 to 3.73, without an aftermarket cover. It's not a daily driver and I don't go to the track, but I'm not exactly nice to it on the street. Its survived pretty darn well for roughly 10 years behind a H/C LT1 and an M6, so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by Spartan7; 02-03-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I gathered the same in my search for info. I had my 10 bolt rebuilt years ago when it started whining, and went from 3.23 to 3.73, without an aftermarket cover. It's not a daily driver and I don't go to the track, but I'm not exactly nice to it on the street. Its survived pretty darn well for roughly 10 years behind a H/C LT1 and an M6, so take that for what it's worth.
How much power were you making? What kind of tire did you run? Anytime I see a M6 setup beat on a 10 bolt and survive, well let's say it really captures my interest lol
Old 02-03-2018, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure on power, probably close to 400 to the tires. Right now I have BFG Comp 2's.

To be fair, I'm not doing 5k clutch dumps or anything really abusive like that, just spirited street driving. And it probably only sees roughly 1k miles a year now.

What I find funny about it is that my uncle set up the rear end for me when he was working at a Jeep dealership and only charged me beer, and it's still as silent as the day I picked it up.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I'm not sure on power, probably close to 400 to the tires. Right now I have BFG Comp 2's.

To be fair, I'm not doing 5k clutch dumps or anything really abusive like that, just spirited street driving. And it probably only sees roughly 1k miles a year now.

What I find funny about it is that my uncle set up the rear end for me when he was working at a Jeep dealership and only charged me beer, and it's still as silent as the day I picked it up.
Yeah it really seems hit or miss with the 10 bolt. In my case I make around 600 at the tire with a M6, 4.10 gear, and drag radials all on the stock 10 bolt. But I pretty much baby it. Just hitting it hard from a roll and whatnot
Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I run an LPW on mine. Chose it in case I ever wanted to get their brace kit in the future.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Philhippy45
do they actually work I mean they look Nice lol but do they actually do anything? Plus how do you hook the braces to the rear piece not the girdle but the tube lol
For the non drag racer they will work just fine and give some support, if you plan on drag racing invest into an aftermarket rear end.

The tube side gets tabs welded to them.

Quick Reply: LWP vs. TA girdles