Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the TSP 3.5" catback on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Anyone have the TSP 3.5" catback on their car?

I have the 3" version and have always wondered how the 3.5" version would sound. I love the way mine sounds now but curiosity has me wondering about the bigger version.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had no idea this exhaust even existed until earlier today I ran across it looking to see what all types of catbacks were out there. This looks promising because a single 3" exhaust is just not enough pipe for one of these cars especially once you start modding the engine.

I like it very much. Its on my wish list
Old 11-06-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it sounds anything like the 3" version that I have you'll love it. Better than any catback or true dual setup I have ever heard for these cars for sure.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I thought it was the same muffler... just larger inlet. And the 3.5" cutout. So it should sound pretty similar.

This is a great setup for a sleeper/daily driver turbo car. Cap the exhaust and run it through the muffler for a pretty tame sound. Pop the cutout and bam. Of course, it may be too far back for it to work... may want the cutout near the motor. But for the price, it's a good mass-market exhaust.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

All the piping is 3.5" with the exception of the tailpipes which is probably 3" now or maybe 2.5"
Old 02-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still wondering about TSP's 3.5" catback. Has anyone used this yet that wouldn't mind reviewing their experience or sharing pictures? Curious as to fitment and clearance, sound, and power level at which this is overkill and also becomes necessary. I would've thought with all the hype around less restriction and squeezing extra hp out, that this system would have taken off by now.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Its halfway on my car now lol. I just havent felt like working on the car. Its been too cold. I will try and finish it up this weekend. It doesnt fit the car right in the back can already tell. That part I have already got hanging from the hangers. The whole rear section is offset to the driver side and the pipe is up against the frame.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Its halfway on my car now lol. I just havent felt like working on the car. Its been too cold. I will try and finish it up this weekend. It doesnt fit the car right in the back can already tell. That part I have already got hanging from the hangers. The whole rear section is offset to the driver side and the pipe is up against the frame.
I don't blame you there lol. I hope you can bend some hangers around and tweak a few things to get it to fit well. Looking forward to some pictures and info after you finish it! I think this could be a really good system.
Anyone else?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
I don't blame you there lol. I hope you can bend some hangers around and tweak a few things to get it to fit well. Looking forward to some pictures and info after you finish it! I think this could be a really good system.
Anyone else?
Its not a bolt on system. Its a 3.5" intermediate pipe so you have to mod your y pipe to slip fit into the 3.5" pipe.

The rear section is off by a good inch. The OEM passenger side hanger is solid mounted to the car so you cant get any side to side adjustment out of it. Im probably going to have to make a whole new bracket off of the over axle pipe to make it work. The fit is pretty bad.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Its not a bolt on system. Its a 3.5" intermediate pipe so you have to mod your y pipe to slip fit into the 3.5" pipe.

The rear section is off by a good inch. The OEM passenger side hanger is solid mounted to the car so you cant get any side to side adjustment out of it. Im probably going to have to make a whole new bracket off of the over axle pipe to make it work. The fit is pretty bad.
That is a shame to hear. I was looking forwad to a kit with factory type fit capable of supporting a decent amount of power. I had assumed one would need to cut away at the Y collector and fit a piece of 3.5" to it. But, if fabricarion is necessary all around with pipes rubbing on the car, at $600 bucks, it may not be the kit we were all hoping it could be. I know personally, no vibrations is one of my main priorities. I'm thinking now that the 3" system is probably more right for me. Thanks for your input, I hope you are able to fab a few brackets and get it to fit okay.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very interesting. So does the 3 inch version have these same fitment problems?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Very interesting. So does the 3 inch version have these same fitment problems?
I cant confirm but I havent heard of issues so probably not
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cant confirm but I havent heard of issues so probably not
If that's the case it sounds like a much better deal overall then. I mean the difference in flow is probably easily offset with having the cutout right?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
If that's the case it sounds like a much better deal overall then. I mean the difference in flow is probably easily offset with having the cutout right?
My thought exactly.
Can anyone confirm?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

The reason I went with the 3.5" is because of the 2.75"bottleneck of the out of the box y pipe fitment to the catback. 3.5" pipe is massive compared to 3" pipe
Old 02-08-2018, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 3 fits good but needs to be tweaked, mine it the upper PHB so I relocated it and mow it clears fine. HP seems fine to me, Im only at 450 so your results may vari.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 3" fit fine once I replaced the over the axle hanger and added hooks to the tail pipes to pick up the stock hanger location there. I plan to do new headers sometime soon and then I want to have it tucked better by a shop but otherwise no issues for me.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
My 3" fit fine once I replaced the over the axle hanger and added hooks to the tail pipes to pick up the stock hanger location there. I plan to do new headers sometime soon and then I want to have it tucked better by a shop but otherwise no issues for me.
So you cut off the over axle hanger that was welded to the over axle pipe? You made a new hanger?

Im sorry but this is unacceptable.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

So what I'm getting from this is the neither 3" or the 3.5" setup is a true direct bolt on like other setups for our cars. This is unfortunate since the idea behind it is really great. Most people simply won't want a system that needs to be tweaked or modified to fit when there are other options that bolt directly in
Old 02-09-2018, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Crying shame really and I dont wanna hear about "all cars are different". That only goes so far. The system I have is impossible to make work with hacking

Quick Reply: Anyone have the TSP 3.5" catback on their car?