Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Check Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV Check Valve Question

Hey Guys,

Question for all the PCV Gurus on the forum. I have an LQ4 with TBSS Intake, Holley EFI Throttle Body, and Holley HP EFI Controlling. I have stock truck valve covers and a mishimoto catch can. This is a purely race only application. I would like to run the Driver's Side Rear Outlet to the catch can, and then from there to the intake manifold would provide clean PCV vapour back into the system. My question is on the fresh air input side, I'd like to connect the Throttle Body "Fresh Air" supply to the front pipe on the Passenger Side Valve Cover, like it should be. However, I've seen other people find under high engine load and speed, oil can be forced back up this line and into the throttle body, contaminating the intake.

If/has anyone installed a one-way check valve in this line from TB to Valve Cover, to prevent oil from travelling back up, but allow the engine to pull as much fresh air the other direction. If you did, what kind of inline valve did you use? I see some designed for vacuum brakes that are around 2lbs, just wondering if the engine would draw fresh air still or if these inline valves are too much of an obstruction.

Application is a pulling truck, spends 25 seconds at 7,500RPM straight, so worried about excessive blowby at the end of the run.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't see why it would be an issue. The crankcase is going to get air regardless, because of blow by. If for whatever reason it can't get some fresh air for a moment, I don't see how it could be dangerous.

I went with a vacuum pump on my engine. I don't have any of these issues, but in checking vacuum and other small maintenance things, I have ran it with the oil cap (vacuum pump hook up) off, and it just lets the pressure out normally. Normally just at idle, or revving a bit, looking for leaks etc...

You can also consider a larger diameter pcv line from the back of the driverside head to the catch can. That will give it less of a chance to build pressure on the fresh air side.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

You can always run a vented can on the fresh air side instead of pulling from in front of the throttlebody.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like losingits idea there. That's pretty creative too. That looks like a vacuum pump puke tank. If oil ends up in it, it won't go anywhere, and it acts like a filter. Pretty brilliant solution there.

The old school way was just a vented cap, no tank. I have a modified version of one that I used to make my vacuum pump cap.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you worry about unmetered air through a vented Catch Can? I realize I’m not running MAF, and only MAF and WBO2, but wondering if it’s still better to pull from Intake charge.

Dont want oil blasting back into the Intake tract
Old 02-20-2018, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The air won't make it into the intake any more than the air coming in from your catch can. And since you have no MAF, I don't see the issue even if there is an increase.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

As I think about it, you might actually need to have more positive pressure than what the tank would offer. The valve covers, and lower block are under a positive pressure, and not vacuum.

Maybe the check valve is indeed the answer. Or a second catch can in the fresh air line perhaps. You could run that tank in line.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyes50
Do you worry about unmetered air through a vented Catch Can? I realize I’m not running MAF, and only MAF and WBO2, but wondering if it’s still better to pull from Intake charge.

Dont want oil blasting back into the Intake tract
You run your regular PCV system and catch can as usual, The can I posted is added to that system on the fresh air side so no oil can be forced backwards out of the fresh air side and sucked into the inlet of your throttle body.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Some people have a line going from the fresh air inlet port on the passenger side valve cover to the catch can. Then another line coming from the dirty air driver's side valve cover port to the catch can as well.

With the catch cans that have the little air filters on top, that air would be completely isolated from the inlet and exhaust ports as it would be inside the crank case via the cylinder heads and could only seem like an issue if the piston rings sealed very poorly.

At least that's how I see the unmetered air debate, but if the intake manifold or the throttle body behind the blade was tapped into, or I suppose anywhere after the maf, that air would be unmetered air if using a maf.
SD (no maf) would calculate incoming air primarily via the map sensor based on what it senses in the intake manifold...so in that case it shouldn't affect it much.

The only issue I see is if behind the throttle blade or intake manifold are tapped into for a catch can vacuum source, and the catch can is vented with the mini air filter on top, it would be like making a vacuum leak. While in front of the throttle blade would forsure be fine as the throttle blade would be regulating the air coming in no matter what's going on in front of it.

Last edited by foxsl; 02-21-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, about the passenger side fresh air inlet and issues under load. For a whole season I had a clear hose coming from a port in front of the throttle body blade to the fresh air inlet on the passenger side valve cover. In between I had a little clear air compressor filter. I'm naturally aspirated around 380 rwhp unlocked but I drag raced it very hard and the clear hose and the filter were spotless. I've taken the mini air compressor filter off since then because the line stays clean so a filter isn't needed there. Under boost though? That could be the issue people were talking about with high crank case pressure possibly backing oil up the lines.

Last edited by foxsl; 02-21-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a check valve on my clean air hose (from TB to valve cover). I got it online, a "boomba" check valve. Its either unsprung or very lightly sprung, and made of aluminum.

Quick Reply: PCV Check Valve Question