Sponsored by:

A-Body LY6 questions about FEAD & VVT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A-Body LY6 questions about FEAD & VVT

Guys,

What is this plug between the balancer, and the water pump pulley I have the yellow arrows pointing at?? Is this something for VVT ?? Excuse my ignorance, I've forgotten ALOT of details about my looooong ongoing swap into my 70 A-body and I'm trying to regroup here, and finalize this year (the plan anyways). 2 kids, work FT, other hobbies, and another car, this one has been on the back burner for too long.....forgot alot.

Also , if this IS a VVT portions connection, what are my NEWER options for FEAD with VVT for now??? I don't like the Vortec giant bracket for the alternator & power steering. It's an eye sore to me, and I know Corvette FEAD is an option but VVT has to go. For brakes I'm going Hydraboost, but haven't ID'd which setup I'm going with. Prefer to stay OEM GM if possible.

I'm not going with the Hooker setup before anyone suggests that....lol

Eventually it will change if I swap out VVT, but for now I'm just trying to get the car running for a year or two......and then reassess.

A-Body LY6 questions about FEAD & VVT-duf9jzjl.jpg
Old 03-25-2018, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That’s for the cam sensor. There are a lot FEAD choices. Truck, 5th gen Camaro , Holley etc. basically anything with truck spacing. You could also delete the vvt pretty easy. I’m using the corvette ps/alt bracket with Holley spacers with a 2010camaro water pump
Old 03-25-2018, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is my 2010 ly6 with a mast vvt cam, whipple 2.9 , C6 ps/alt bracket with a Holley spacer, 2010 Camaro water pump, dirty dingo Ac bracket.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimmyg
That’s for the cam sensor. There are a lot FEAD choices. Truck, 5th gen Camaro , Holley etc. basically anything with truck spacing. You could also delete the vvt pretty easy. I’m using the corvette ps/alt bracket with Holley spacers with a 2010camaro water pump
Ok, so where I'm getting confused I suppose, is with several other options of FEAD I don't SEE the cam sensor.

I just looked up the 5th gen FEAD and I don't see the cam sensor in that same location.
Is it behind the water pump notched in or something ??

This is the 5th gen setup correct ???

Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

It’s hidden on the front cover . There is a little sub harness that goes from the front of oil pan on dr side up behind the water pump. I’ll try to find a pick. This a non vvt motor but they are similar . Vvt motors have a bulge for the vvt .

Last edited by jimmyg; 03-26-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Ok, so where I'm getting confused I suppose, is with several other options of FEAD I don't SEE the cam sensor.

I just looked up the 5th gen FEAD and I don't see the cam sensor in that same location.
Is it behind the water pump notched in or something ??

This is the 5th gen setup correct ???

That is my engine (LY6 with VVT) and it's a hybrid of FEAD components. It uses a '10 Camaro water pump and power steering pump with a '07+ truck ac compressor/bracket and '07+ truck alternator mounted in a '02 Camaro bracket with spacers. The '10 Camaro alternator and bracket are a little different and I decided not to use them on mine. You can't see the can sensor or VVT actuator magnet because they are hidden in this view behind the water pump. Here is a photo of the same engine with the water pump off. The component with the beige/white colored connector is the cam sensor. The VVT actuator magnet is next to it on center with the cam and painted black

There are two connections on the VVT timing cover. One off center from the cam is the cam sensor and it is the same for VVT and non VVT applications. The other is mounted on center with the cam and is for the VVT actuator/solenoid.

What are your goals for your FEAD in terms of fitment and location of components? For me, I wanted all my accessories compact/low and I was willing to notch my subframe ('70 Nova, same frame as '67-'69 Camaro) to make that work. Some applications don't have room down low or don't want to modify, so a truck FEAD, Corvette-based FEAD (with spacers), or aftermarket FEAD are better options.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
What are your goals for your FEAD in terms of fitment and location of components? For me, I wanted all my accessories compact/low and I was willing to notch my subframe ('70 Nova, same frame as '67-'69 Camaro) to make that work. Some applications don't have room down low or don't want to modify, so a truck FEAD, Corvette-based FEAD (with spacers), or aftermarket FEAD are better options.
Ultimately with more research into Chevelles with Vortec swaps I think the FEAD I have will be fine.
I think what was driving me insane was my entire front end is off and I couldn't visualize the final outcome ....thought it'd be too high.

I just have to determine what AC mount bracket I'm going to utilize lastly on the passenger side. ANY help with that would be great.
I saw some finalized setups and it looks like the vortec bracket isn't too bad after all with the right alternator.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on Ac compresser. I used a sanden SD7 with a dirty dingo .low mount bracket. Holley also sells a low mount bracket. SD7 is a nice compresser . It’s compact but works well and doesn’t mind high RPMS . It’s also a 1wire hookup.