Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4th gen Fbody Upper A-Arm mounting plates - where to get 'em

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 4th gen Fbody Upper A-Arm mounting plates - where to get 'em

I'm in the process of installing a BMR Turbo K-member, with upper and lower control arms. My mounting plates, which the upper control arm bolts into is really rusted out. I don't see the point of bolting a new A-arm and shock mount to this rusty old PoS. I've seen a few used ones available, which are in better shape than mine, but still not great. I'd rather have new if possible. Does anyone know who may have these available for sale?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Rockauto
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked on rockauto and couldn't find them? What were they under?

They have the piece that goes on the top of the shock, the "strut mount", that holds the spring to the top of the shock. What I need is the piece that sits on top of that "strut mount", that holds the A-arm. The strut mount locks into the plate I'm looking for. It may be called a "strut bearing mounting plate"?

Last edited by ScottyBG; 12-04-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
I'm in the process of installing a BMR Turbo K-member, with upper and lower control arms. My mounting plates, which the upper control arm bolts into is really rusted out. I don't see the point of bolting a new A-arm and shock mount to this rusty old PoS. I've seen a few used ones available, which are in better shape than mine, but still not great. I'd rather have new if possible. Does anyone know who may have these available for sale?
No sense in being picky. Buy a nice used set and have them sandblasted and lay some paint on them. Be as good as new. The problem is it is hard to find someone that will sell them without the upper control arm still attached. It is usually sold as a set.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I sandblasted mine at work, then primed and painted them. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find any except on ebay and they looked way worse than mine. I don't think there's an aftermarket one available.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess there's not enough market for them to be made. Seems like most all of them need replacing in a way.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my passenger side a few years ago. I found it on gmpartseast, but that site is now chevypartsprime.com It came already attached to the upper control arm. I couldnt find the mounting plate by itself anywhere. Price was ridiculous I think it was $220 plus shipping.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the feed back. Looks like I'm searching salvage yards for the best set I can find.

The main reason I want really solid ones, is because I'm going to coil overs which eliminates the bracket on the top of the shock, that contains the spring. The coil over double shear bracket bolts directly to the center of this A-arm mounting bracket, so it will take the entire force of the shock, and spring. These bracket do hold the entire weight of the front end of the car on them. The factory setup, that upper shock mounting plate distributes the force more evenly, so in that case it wouldn't be so critical, but still a very important functional part.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well just to update this thread, in case others are looking for these, I found a really nice set at Trans Am Creations. For those of you who don't know about these guys it is basically an F-body specific salvage. They are in Alabama, about 1 hr east of Atlanta on I20. I had to make a business trip to Atlanta, so I went over in person and sorted through the ones he had for the ones with the least amount of rust. He had about a dozen sets there. I thought about buying all the really nice ones, to make a buck on 'em. As there is no production of these items at this time, and they are very rust prone.

This set looks near perfect. If you need them, you better get them before they are all gone. I can't imagine any on any northern cars, where much salt is used, are worth a crap any more. Mine was always a KY car, and they were shot on it. Cars in Ky are not as prestine as some of the more southern states, but typically are better than most northern states for rust.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I am looking for a set of control arm mounts like these for a 097 fb are these still available ? Or do you recommend a site were I can get them ?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I got mine from Hawk Motorsports about a year back. $50 per as I recall. Make sure you send them a picture of the item.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paint them with POR-15!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grifter
Paint them with POR-15!
This!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine didnt look too great either, but after sand blasting them and black powdercoating they look great now, but Im in Texas and not up North.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 383z
Mine didnt look too great either, but after sand blasting them and black powdercoating they look great now, but Im in Texas and not up North.

Did you powdercoat your rotors?......if so why?
Old 03-30-2018, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 383z

awesome idea with spindle and all
Old 03-30-2018, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I did read here lately that there is a company I think maybe in the works to start reproducing these mounting brackets. We definitely need them. Bought used ones myself. Sanded, primered and painted them myself. Every piece I pull off the car when I'm working on it usually gets reconditioned before it goes back on.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

UMI is making them now. They are starting with the transverse style mount for the coilover setups but will then make OEM style ones. They look good.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Did you powdercoat your rotors?......if so why?
I poweder coated my rotors so that rust does not form anywhere but where the pads touch. I hate the look of rust. Im going to have them turned before they go back on the car.
The end result will looks similar to this picture.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

racecraft is making a set now

Quick Reply: 4th gen Fbody Upper A-Arm mounting plates - where to get 'em