What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Camaro Z28 Purple Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Camaro Z28 Purple Metallic

Auto
Salvage due to theft

Only 107 Z28's had the 88U Purple Metallic paint. 34 of which had the Y3F Sport Appearance package. The car is about as clean as a 180k mile car can be no surprises whats it worth? The car is currently for sale though I'm not sure if linking craigslist is allowed. Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

With the salvage title, high mileage and low trim level, the rarity factor is almost entirely negated since all those things are turn-offs to the vast majority of collectors. Your biggest market for a base trim, high miles + salvage title car will be bargain shoppers looking to get into a decent LS1 car for a cheap price. Any significant premium for rarity will just turn most of that market away. Also, it appears that all of the Y3F package is gone other than the spoiler lip (might not be a bad thing, most folks dislike the Sport Appearance Package and it's typical to remove it - but that's yet another reason why the rarity has been negated.)

Having said that, it does look nice for the mileage. Interior is nice other than the dash mat (due to a cracked dash I assume?) and the gutted lighter plug area.

Even show quality Z28s don't bring the kind of money that comparable condition higher trim levels would, especially with an A4 trans and being an early year LS1. In this case, you have several factors working against its value, including the fact that the color (rare though it may be) is not popular with most in the 4th gen crowd.

Not sure what the market is like in your area, but $3-4k would be a good target range IMO (of course, that's depending on mechanical condition, maintenance status and in-person inspection.)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Region will also play a factory here as well.

The only bonus I see with this one is the t-Tops. I am thinking you are in the $2500 - $3500 range.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Wow, very detailed feedback! I have the ground effects still they were removed for detailing. I'm now questioning if I'd profit more selling them separately from the car. I'm located in the mid-west where 6 speed cars are no less than 7k, so that leaves the cleanest A4 cars in the 5k range. I'm still kicking myself for selling my last M6 for 4500 and don't want to end up in that boat again so the help is appreciated.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BTGSTUDIO
Wow, very detailed feedback! I have the ground effects still they were removed for detailing. I'm now questioning if I'd profit more selling them separately from the car. I'm located in the mid-west where 6 speed cars are no less than 7k, so that leaves the cleanest A4 cars in the 5k range. I'm still kicking myself for selling my last M6 for 4500 and don't want to end up in that boat again so the help is appreciated.
You can get a lot more than $5k for the cleanest of A4 LS1 F-bodies (some still sell in the 5-figure range, depending on various details), just not stock ones with nearly 180k miles and a salvage title. There isn't much demand for this particular color, even among the "rare color" enthusiasts, but even if that weren't the case you're still up against the title status, high miles and base trim level.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Teching In

FWIW, I would be all over that car for $3K, although I am somewhat fond of the rare color options. This particular color is not one of the desired rare colors like SOM or hugger orange, but this is the only color of Camaro I have never seen in person, and as such would without a doubt draw my personal attention to the vehicle. While I think that $5k would be the absolute max that I personally (and my guess would be a good majority of people)would pay if there is nothing that keeps it from being immediately driveable reliably, I would hand over $3k without thinking twice.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies! I posted the car for 4500, I imagine it will be sold by the weekend.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

$4500 is a strong price for the specs, and the weekend is less than 2 days away. Not likely to sell that quick unless you're negotiable, though I do see you have it listed on this site for $4k. I imagine a sale in the $3500-4000 range could be possible in the near term if the car checks out well in person. The trans type, mileage, title status, trim level and seasonally unfavorable time of year will all make a super quick sale very difficult unless the price is quite attractive.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
$4500 is a strong price for the specs, and the weekend is less than 2 days away. Not likely to sell that quick unless you're negotiable, though I do see you have it listed on this site for $4k. I imagine a sale in the $3500-4000 range could be possible in the near term if the car checks out well in person. The trans type, mileage, title status, trim level and seasonally unfavorable time of year will all make a super quick sale very difficult unless the price is quite attractive.
You're correct I priced at 4500 expecting a negotiation to be made. It's true there are a lot of factors against me indeed. However, I only stated that it would be sold due to the amount of inquiries I've gotten. I've agreed to meet 3 people this weekend, so we'll see what happens.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd be about it for like 3800 around the 1st of the year
Old 05-20-2018, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Is this still for sale?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wgreen02SS