Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Default New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info

Since the new Holley oil pan has just been released and we are moving forward towards the release of the new Hooker LS swap parts for the 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova, I thought it would be efficient to establish this thread as a single depository for all related info for anyone interested. I'll post up photos and technical data here that I think will be useful for users and also respond to specific questions that are posted about the products from other members.

As a general release timeline, the engine swap mounts and transmission crossmembers will be released within the next few days to be followed by the long-tube headers near the end of the month and then the mid-length headers and exhaust systems in January. This is the plan but things can and to change due to day to day operations, so the release of some parts could move up in the timeline (like the oil pan was) and some could end up being delayed. I will keep you posted on all release dates here, so check back often.

To start of the thread I'm posting these two shots depicting the Hooker ceramic coated long-tube headers, the forward sections of the Hooker 3" exhaust system, the Hooker 4L60E transmission crossmember and the new Holley 302-2 oil pan installed together in a 68 Camaro.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-under.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-under-shot.jpg  

Last edited by Toddoky; 12-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks nice, but hard to tell from the pics, but does the oil pan hang below the crossmember any at all?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Looks nice, but hard to tell from the pics, but does the oil pan hang below the crossmember any at all?
Yes bczee, it does by 1/2" when installed with the new Hooker engine mounts. The bottom of the pan is exactly even with the transmission bellhousing so it is as high as you can practically go.

For those running an extremely lowered ride height/stance, a crossmember extender or deflector plate could be easily fashioned that attaches to the bottom of crossmember and that extends below the bottom surface of the pan if desired.

In my opinion, it's better to extend the bottom edge of the crossmember, when less than 3/4"drop is needed, than to raise the engine to get the pan above the bottom of the crossmember on a 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova.

I originally tried positioning the engine in the subframe in that fashion and the results were undesirable from a operationa/functional perspective. More specifically, it created a scenario were you would have to modify the floor tunnel of the car to get desirable engine/U-joint working angles and would take a whole lot more work than making an easy-to-fabricate extender plate (which you can remove later and restore the car to original condition if you wish) to attach to the bottom of the crossmember if you really feel you need that extra protection.

Raising the engine also negatively affects the top-side clearances of the intake manifold, accessory drive components/brackets and turbo plumbing if used.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd,

I've been following a few of your threads here and over at Pro-Touring. Do you have a similar shot to the ones above featuring the mid-tube headers? I'm about to pull the trigger and am still on the fence between the long-tubes and mid-tubes.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sixgunsuperman99
Todd,

I've been following a few of your threads here and over at Pro-Touring. Do you have a similar shot to the ones above featuring the mid-tube headers? I'm about to pull the trigger and am still on the fence between the long-tubes and mid-tubes.
Yes I do in my files at work. I will post something up for you on Monday morning. You can envision the mid-length ground clearance by just extending the plane of the lower edge of the 3" exhaust tubing forward and then turning it up into the subframe. In other words, they extend no lower that the 3" system does you see under the car in the side-shot photo.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Ordered my new 302-2 Pan to replace the 301 I returned to Jegs.....will be ordering the mounts and headers as soon as they hit the street!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yes I do in my files at work. I will post something up for you on Monday morning. You can envision the mid-length ground clearance by just extending the plane of the lower edge of the 3" exhaust tubing forward and then turning it up into the subframe. In other words, they extend no lower that the 3" system does you see under the car in the side-shot photo.
Thank you in advance!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Thank you in advance!
As requested, here's a side shot of the ground clearance with the 1-7/8" Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova mid-length headers installed with the Hooker 3" exhaust system and mounting components.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-mid-length-ground-clearance-1.jpg  
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
As requested, here's a side shot of the ground clearance with the 1-7/8" Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova mid-length headers installed with the Hooker 3" exhaust system and mounting components.
That really tucks up there. Thank you for posting this!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

That really tucks up there. Thank you for posting this!
No problem. It's my intention to provide any such information I can on the New Hooker components for this application here on this thread between now and the time the parts are released. I have plenty of photos that can be posted to assist anyone needing visual clarification of the fitment of any of Hooker mounting or exhaust components, or even the new Holley oil pan in regards to 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova fitment...ask away.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

will the stock F-body accessories work with the engine mounts? just wondering if the low mount alt will clear without hitting the subframe
Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jaycoy65
will the stock F-body accessories work with the engine mounts? just wondering if the low mount alt will clear without hitting the subframe
You will need to clearance/notch the subframe if you want to run the stock F-body accessories with the low-mount alternator; the amount of notching required to perform this modification would be considered minor by anyone with basic fabrication skills. Mounting the engine forward or high enough to be able to clear the alternator without notching the subframe is counter-productive to achieving optimized weight distribution and/or U-joint working angles on a well engineered swap vehicle.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Todd,
does the exhaust go over the rear end or stop just in front like the shot you posted.
Randy
Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tod, I already have my engine in and need some long tubes. I am also running a muncie with my mechanical linkage. Did you even try the stock trans crossmember to see if the tubes are close to the hump. Is there enough room for the stock z-bar. A picture of the drivers header would help. Do you have a part # and cost yet on the long-tubes.. Also is there going to be any 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 step header. Do you know the engine angle you base your setup at.

Last edited by homemade87; 12-15-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by randyrats
Todd,
does the exhaust go over the rear end or stop just in front like the shot you posted.
Randy
Yes Randy, the exhaust kit includes overaxle pipes. The image posted was taken from the system I built up for the live LS engine swap done by Roadkill at PRI show this past week and was terminated with dumps due to the unknown geometry of the Ford 9" they had in the car.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by homemade87
Tod, I already have my engine in and need some long tubes. I am also running a muncie with my mechanical linkage. Did you even try the stock trans crossmember to see if the tubes are close to the hump. Is there enough room for the stock z-bar. A picture of the drivers header would help. Do you have a part # and cost yet on the long-tubes.. Also is there going to be any 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 step header. Do you know the engine angle you base your setup at.
If you already have your engine installed with frame stand style mounts and swap plates the new Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova headers will not be a good choice for you as their unique bend geometry requires the specific geometry provided by the Hooker clamshell-style retrofit mounts to obtain proper fitment.

It's very doubtful that you will be able to use these headers with a mechanical clutch set-up as the location of the steering box prevented the ability to accommodate that same provision in the way we were able to do so with the design of our new 2nd-gen LS swap headers.

The headers will be available with either 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries, but not in a stepped-tube version. The engine inclination angle used for prototyping all the Hooker components for this application was 3 degrees and allows the installation of any GM/Tremec trans without requiring tunnel cutting with the exception of a T56 Magnum or 6L90E transmission. This was only made possible through the design/use of the new Hooker engine mounts as we were not constrained by the discrete height limitation imposed by using the typical frame stand/swap plate mount set-up.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Todd,

Questions concerning the swap "kit". It will be used in a first gen F body convertible. Will the 302-2 oil pan clear my Unisteer rack & pinion setup? Will the exhaust clear the convertible's support plate on the floor pan? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by x-sprint
Todd,

Questions concerning the swap "kit". It will be used in a first gen F body convertible. Will the 302-2 oil pan clear my Unisteer rack & pinion setup? Will the exhaust clear the convertible's support plate on the floor pan? Thank you in advance.
All the components were developed primarily for use on 1st-gen hardtop F-bodies and 3rd-gen Nova's equipped with stock subframes and steering gears with all additional compatibility being a secondary consideration. The oil pan may very well fit your Unisteer rack, but I have no way to validate it as the ability to test it for compatibility during development of the Hooker component package was not provided for.

The exhaust system is a no-go on a convertible due to non-compatibility with the floor stiffener brace. Those cars really need specific components as their geometry is unique.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the extra clearance in the front half of this pan, is it possible to use the big block frame stands and big block mounts with 1" setback plates now, or are the small block stands/mounts still required?

This is going in a 3rd generation nova. I read that some of the pans with more front clearance allow for the engine to sit a little lower so that the big block stands/mounts can be used. This didn't apply to the older pan, it was 2.4" tall in the front compared to the new pan at 1.25"
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thread! I bought the autokraft pan and mounts already, but they recommend running hooker headers. When will the long tubes be available? These work with the motor sitting in stock sbc location? Can you supply part numbers for the headers and for the trans crossmember? Thanks Chris.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info