Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LH9 VVT 5.3L 2011 build cam choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LH9 VVT 5.3L 2011 build cam choice?

I'm hopefully picking up a 2011 Colorado VVT 5.3L LH9 V8, so swap in place of my 2007 5.3L LH6 (LS3 cam/springs, comp pushrods, LS2 intake, LS2 TB) Long tube headers. Engine is mated to a T56 and resides in a 2004 Colorado.

So my current 07 5.3L has bad piston slap when cold, and burns decant amount of oil Hence why I buying the 2011 motor.

Now I'd kinda like to run the VVT, for curiosity sake, can I use the LS3 cam, with that setup? Or would I need to get a phase limiter? Is there any performance advantage to keeping VVT? Or should I just use the cam gear, and cover from my LH6, and delete VVT? I can easily add the he extra wires for VVT, and I'm 99% confident I can get one of the first E67s to run a VVT motor, with a manual trans, and have factory cruise speedo working! Electronics side of things is my forte!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LS3 Engines never used VVT, but the L99 engines did. You would need to remove VVT hardware to use that cam. You will need a Non VVT front timing cover as well as the correct cam sprocket.

I would look into TSPs line of VVT cams, you must use a Phaser Limiter when using any aftermarket cam.

Generally, VVT is removed to use a aggressive cam. You can't go to radical with lobe design for VVT. VVT has great potential for more power when tuned correctly and cam provide more low-end torque and more high-end horsepower.

Adding VVT to a NON-VVT vehicle is not super simple. You will need a ECU from a VVT equipt vehicle, and possibly the engine harness as well. Others will chime in that deal with VVT more than I do.

What vehicle is this going in, I assume a E67 BMW?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

So the ls3 cam has too much lift? To use vvt even with a comp cam phase limiter?

No as I posted earlier it's in a 2004 chevy Colorado An e67 is a gm gen iv pcm, I need a specific service number for vvt. Which I have, wirrring wise, and programming wise I
Shouldn't have much trouble, I build swap harness and do custom programming in hex. Dialing the fuel trims might be harder with vvt? When it comes to the virtual ve table. I have hpt, efi, and tuner cat.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 94camaroz28lt1
So the ls3 cam has too much lift? To use vvt even with a comp cam phase limiter?

No as I posted earlier it's in a 2004 chevy Colorado An e67 is a gm gen iv pcm, I need a specific service number for vvt. Which I have, wirrring wise, and programming wise I
Shouldn't have much trouble, I build swap harness and do custom programming in hex. Dialing the fuel trims might be harder with vvt? When it comes to the virtual ve table. I have hpt, efi, and tuner cat.
In order to use the vvt system you have to have a cam with the vvt groove in the cam journal. The ls3 cam does not have that so you cannot use it. You can only use other vvt cams.

Vvt is removed not only to use a more aggressive cam, but also ease tuning. Talking straight, ive never really seen a vvt cam gain over a proper std cam when comparing the same setups. Locking any cam out of full range limits what it can do.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
In order to use the vvt system you have to have a cam with the vvt groove in the cam journal. The ls3 cam does not have that so you cannot use it. You can only use other vvt cams.

Vvt is removed not only to use a more aggressive cam, but also ease tuning. Talking straight, ive never really seen a vvt cam gain over a proper std cam when comparing the same setups. Locking any cam out of full range limits what it can do.
Good info, vvt groove in the cam? What's that for, hydrolic for vvt? The blocks the same for non vvt right? So it just takes oil from a regular cam journal?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Good info, vvt groove in the cam? What's that for, hydrolic for vvt? The blocks the same for non vvt right? So it just takes oil from a regular cam journal?
Right. It uses the oil from the journal that goes through the cam bolt (gm calls it a valve) that provides pressure to the actuator. The cam bearings are the same besides sometimes the front and rear are wider. Thats it otherwise. Ill get a pic of the bolt in a few.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Right. It uses the oil from the journal that goes through the cam bolt (gm calls it a valve) that provides pressure to the actuator. The cam bearings are the same besides sometimes the front and rear are wider. Thats it otherwise. Ill get a pic of the bolt in a few.
The 2008-2009 LH8 doesn't have a oil relief valve in the oil pan, and has non VVT.

The 2010-2012 LH9 has vvt and the oil relief valve in the oil pan, so what do I do? When I install the LS3 cam, gear, cover, and springs. Do I also plug the relief, and order a low volume oil pump?? So confused about the relief?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Use a std volume high pressure pump. The 10295 is it. Dont sweat the pan issue. use a pan. if it has the bypass in the inside above filter remove and plug it with an m14 plug. If the bypass is on the outside right above the filter, remove and use the sac city bypass delete.
Thats it. Youre sweating it too much.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Melling 10295 Pump is your best option replacement pump, you want to avoid the 10296 unless you are using aftermarket bearings with excessive bearing clearance.

Like WS6Store mentioned, if the Relief is in the oil pan you can plug it with the Dorman Auto Grade 090-171 plug, or if it is above the oil filter, SacCityCorvette has a Bypass plug for that. Gen3 Oil Pans have the relief right above the oil filter, and in most cases, Gen4 oil pans have the relief inside the oil pan.

The pressure relief inside the oil pans, for AFM/DOD, goes off at 55 psi, so your oil pressure will not exceed that if you leave it in.

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 10-20-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
The Melling 10295 Pump is your best option replacement pump, you want to avoid the 10296 unless you are using aftermarket bearings with excessive bearing clearance.

Like WS6Store mentioned, if the Relief is in the oil pan you can plug it with the Dorman Auto Grade 090-171 plug, or if it is above the oil filter, SacCityCorvette has a Bypass plug for that. Gen3 Oil Pans have the relief right above the oil filter, and in most cases, Gen4 oil pans have the relief inside the oil pan.

The pressure relief inside the oil pans, for AFM/DOD, goes off at 55 psi, so your oil pressure will not exceed that if you leave it in.
Is it bad to leave the relief in? Maybe that's why my lh9 is Knocking cold? I'm pretty sure it's piston slap? It was a dod afm motor i installed ls3 cam, ls3 valley cover, ls2 intake.ls3 springs, front cover, and ls7 lifters, and a new high volume oil pump. It uses a lot of oil smell it burning, and knocks cold, could that be due to the relief and dod oil pump? Checked my oil pressure it was 50-55psi should it be 60 or 80?? What happens if you plug the relief?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Is it bad to leave the relief in? Maybe that's why my lh9 is Knocking cold? I'm pretty sure it's piston slap? It was a dod afm motor i installed ls3 cam, ls3 valley cover, ls2 intake.ls3 springs, front cover, and ls7 lifters, and a new high volume oil pump. It uses a lot of oil smell it burning, and knocks cold, could that be due to the relief and dod oil pump? Checked my oil pressure it was 50-55psi should it be 60 or 80?? What happens if you plug the relief?
Why use a high volume pump? That could be where your issues are coming from. Its not bad to leave the relief or plug it but if you have the option plug it If there is a relief in the pan it can cause issues such as excessive oil consumption esp with using a high volume pump. GM has a tsb out about it and they have a cover that fits over the valve to stop it from erupting oil all over the place.

Quick Reply: LH9 VVT 5.3L 2011 build cam choice?