Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Better shock than koni Str.t ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better shock than koni Str.t ?

Hello

I'm running a Vogtland / koni str.t setup on my 95 trans am, and i choosed the vogtlands pretty much because i needed the added springrates in the rear for long trips with a lot of stuff on europen roads. Really happy with the stance and all, but.. front end rides perfectly, but I need a better shock for the rear. rebound is ok but bound,, what shock would be a better one ? Koni SA ? viking ? is there a lot of difference on the damping going from the Str.t to yellows ? is it still possible to get DA konis ?
Old 04-21-2018, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've heard the yellows are quite a bit better, but of course they are a lot more money as well. I run the STR.T's myself
Old 04-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've heard the yellows are quite a bit better, but of course they are a lot more money as well. I run the STR.T's myself
Just worried it will be to little difference to justify the money. on my second gen trans am i had good luck with rear shocks from pro shocks
Old 04-21-2018, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eirik Heggli
Just worried it will be to little difference to justify the money. on my second gen trans am i had good luck with rear shocks from pro shocks
Unless you race or push the car to it's limits a lot I personally don't think it's worth it at all
Old 04-21-2018, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Considering the koni sports are adjustable im sure you could probably adjust them to satisfy your needs. I run the on car adjustable ones in the rear and honestly even just one full turn on the adjustment **** makes a huge difference.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
Considering the koni sports are adjustable im sure you could probably adjust them to satisfy your needs. I run the on car adjustable ones in the rear and honestly even just one full turn on the adjustment **** makes a huge difference.
Do you run Koni SA ?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Any truth in that the 3rd gen konis are set up to handle higher springrates than the 4th gen konis ?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Teching In

well, just spent 428 dollars for a pair of yellow konis for 3 rd gen, sure hope they work good he he
Old 04-22-2018, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Eirik Heggli
Do you run Koni SA ?
yes im running the koni sa's
Old 05-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Teching In

got the yellow konis installed, made big difference would i like to be even better,, yes
Old 05-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Sounds like you were unhappy with compression performance of the Str.t with your rear spring combo, but are you saying the da konis performance isn't quite as good as you expected given the price bump?
Old 05-26-2018, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Would the afco/umi coil over setup be the end all be all for his application?
Old 05-27-2018, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by txazformula
Sounds like you were unhappy with compression performance of the Str.t with your rear spring combo, but are you saying the da konis performance isn't quite as good as you expected given the price bump?
you are correct. I would wish for a tad more compression performance given how the roads are here in Scandinavia, especially in Norway. The front is working really good with the Vogtlands and the koni STR:T and the rear would work great if the yellow konis was just a little better. But for better roads, and not a lot of load in the car, the yellow konis work really good, Pretty strict rules over here, so going through the hassle with getting a TÜV approved coilover kit, and have this approved by the government and listed in the cars registration data.... then i'll do better packing light when I travel down on the continent. speeds are really high, especially in Germany with no speed limits, so it is important to have control.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:55 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You are running the on car, single adjustable shocks, correct? Have you messed with the adjustments to see whether it helps?

Last edited by BTC; 05-27-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTC
You are running on the on car, single adjustable shocks, correct? Have you messed with the adjustments to see whether it helps?
I went with 3rd gen shocks since they are supposed to be mono shocks, and thereby giving a little better performance ( supposedly) set rebound on step 2 and that works really well, would not want rebound any stiffer than that
Old 05-27-2018, 01:13 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I just realized I had an extra word in my first sentence.

I have Koni Sports as well, but no idea what generation they are. I know that they are on car single adjustable. I believe Koni used to make a dual adjustable shock for the 4th generation fbody, but I don't think they are available anymore.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTC
I just realized I had an extra word in my first sentence.

I have Koni Sports as well, but no idea what generation they are. I know that they are on car single adjustable. I believe Koni used to make a dual adjustable shock for the 4th generation fbody, but I don't think they are available anymore.
On board is twin tube shocks from what i have learned ( googled ) I was able to find a pair of double adjustable ones in Holland if I remember correctly, but the price was waaay over my budget.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Interesting. I had always just assumed my SA Koni Sports were a monotube as opposed to a twin tube.