Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 newbie question

I assume this is the place for the iron block LS?

new to LS engines, and engine building in general.

In general this is what i want to do, please let me know your thoughts. I have zero plans for boost, and this is a budget build which is why I am choosing stock stuff for the most part

I can get a LQ4 for very cheap, ran well and vitals were good on dash. 125k miles. With ECU and harness from 2004 something, I can get for about $600 USD (from a buddy)

Quick plan;

- LQ9 rebuild kit, new timing chain, oil pump, flat top pistons, rings, etc. This puts me up to 10:1 with the stock 317 heads I thnk?

- Trading the 317 heads for a set of mildly worked 243 heads plus a bit of cash (from a cousin, so fairly cheap on the money side). What does that do to my compression? 10.5:1? Do I try and get more with thinner head gaskets? Is that a thing?

- Would like a better cam, but not silly like the one I have in my 408W. I would like some drivability. I like some lope like the next guy, but within reason as I would like to not kill my low end. Any recommendations?

- Have read I should look at new rockers and lifters. The rockers because they can fail and liberate their needle bearings I have read? The lifters I don't quite get. The roller lifters out of the roller SBF's are almost passed down to generations as heirlooms and reused

- As far as the block goes, can i get away with just a hone and use standard pistons, or will I most likely need some work, and does that lead to a rabbit hole with these engines?

- What else am I missing?

I am not concerned if this goes very badly. It is a hobby after all and I think if I am going to learn about building an engine, an LS is the best place to start

I know I am vague about my plans, still learning. What kind of power do you think I would be looking at?

the three cars I have in my head for the swap are 99-04 Mustang , E36 BMW, 300ZX Z32

I have searched endlessly, however, because I don't understand alot of the LS world I figured I would ask

Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot depends on the vehicle you are looking to put the motor in and if it is a daily driver. You are on the right path with upping the compression on the rebuild kit and going with a cam. Is this an auto or stick? For a daily driver I would keep the duration under 230 and you would be fine. You can get LS7 style lifters on the cheap, I picked up mine for $100. You should be just fine with a hone assuming the engine hasn't been beaten on severely. Only thing you are missing is swap in some gen 4 rods while you are doing the pistons.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are going through it it would be a good idea to refresh like you are looking to.

You can put a set of LQ9 pistons in the motor for $299, Add new rings for $99. If you have pressed rods a set of floated core rods are $69.50. If you dont want to mess with it at all send me your block and I will build a 370CI SRP with flat tops for $1999 if you supply the block.

The 317 is a great head but you will have better luck with the 243 on a NA build as discussed. The 243 on a flat top LQ9 piston will put you at 11.0:1CR. If you are not able to get a set from your cousin I can get you a set fresh remanufacured for $450 a pair with the 317s sent back as a core.

We have tons of great cam options, Give us a call if we can help there. We have camshafts for $319 and cam kits from $587 and they include PAC springs and chromoly pushrods.

The lifters are a great idea, $159 for a set of our RPM Series and never look back. The stock LS lifter is prone to collapse. A lot of people will argue the rockers, I say run them. If you need to upgrade the trunnions it is $159 for the kit or $299 for a set of all new rockers with trunnions installed.

You will also need basic gaskets, The bottom end gasket set is $129.99 Head gaskets are $79.98. Head bolts $69.99.

I would put a good oil pump, It is $119.99 for a melling 10295. That is a cheap insurance policy.

If we can help with this in any way give us a call.
972-853-2450
Kyle, Thompson Motorsports
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Teching In

I want it to a daily driver, but I doubt I will daily drive it... hopefully that makes sense. My fox notch with the 408 is not much fun to drive, constant failure watch, stinks, and you feel rattled at end up drive....I do smile alot though.

Stick, assume a 99-04 stang with 3:73's.

Sounds good on the lifters. Why the rods? I have read that gen 3 rods are a failure point, is that simply the answer?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks Kyle, that is great info. Appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Banned

I am sure he is recommending the rods so the LQ9 piston will work. The LQ9 is floated, Most LQ4 are pressed unless a very late model rod.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Good deal. FYI you can find the Melling M295 pump, which is the standard volume of the 10295. It is listed for $100 most places and $60 on amazon. Bought one yesterday for my LQ4.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Banned

Joejamesatou is right, The m295 is more accessible at most auto parts stores and all over online.

The 10295 is the anodized housing pump. We only sell the race series. I prefer the race series pumps and that is all we offer on our motor, We just figure the extra few dollars is worth the peace of mind of the highest quality pump.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thompson
Joejamesatou is right, The m295 is more accessible at most auto parts stores and all over online.

The 10295 is the anodized housing pump. We only sell the race series. I prefer the race series pumps and that is all we offer on our motor, We just figure the extra few dollars is worth the peace of mind of the highest quality pump.

Agreed. If you are spending a lot of time above 6K rpm it is probably worth it.

Quick Reply: LQ4 newbie question