Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Mild Build Desire for 2004 GTO LS1/T56

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mild Build Desire for 2004 GTO LS1/T56

Looking to do a mild build for a 2004 GTO LS1 / T56 driveline. Engine / trans has around 100k on it.

Looking to start planning on a mild build for the engine / trans and would like opinions / input. This engine/trans is in a Honda S2000 but posted out here because I anticipate you guys would have the best information for this specific engine/trans.

I am thinking 400-450 rwhp would be the goal but not absolutely needed. I am thinking mild cam, intake, throttle body and headers (already have these but not installed) then having the car tuned. Heads are a possibility too. Looking to do this build to wake up the car a bit but not going crazy, I dont want to go forced induction. Car is a street machine and occasional track car (road courses).

I would like to hear people opinions on what route to go with this keeping budget in mind. I am perfectly good spending money when needed but same time not looking to be the fastest LS S2000 out there.

I have heard good things about 243 heads for the car, this worth while?

I know asking something like this is very subjective. I am looking to keep good strong reliability but just wake her up a hair.

We will be pulling the motor and trans for this build. Anything at 100k we should be considering to do while its sitting there? Oil pump / timing chain I am figuring.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Teching In

I guess some further thoughts / questions.

I have been reading the FAST 92/102 intake and throttle body are great ways to go but costly of course. How much better are these then the OEM LS6 intake? What TB would match well with the LS6? Would porting the TB with an LS6 intake be a decent cost continence approach?

For heads, sounds like 243/799 are the same. A ported / cleaned up and gone through set of these is a good bang for your buck?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by yonkerss
I guess some further thoughts / questions.

I have been reading the FAST 92/102 intake and throttle body are great ways to go but costly of course. How much better are these then the OEM LS6 intake? What TB would match well with the LS6? Would porting the TB with an LS6 intake be a decent cost continence approach?

For heads, sounds like 243/799 are the same. A ported / cleaned up and gone through set of these is a good bang for your buck?
If you search through the threads on this site FAST 92/102 theirs a ton of info on the stock vs fast and the arguments for and against. Me personally I would sell the LS6 intake and search the for-sale thread on here you can usually find a used FAST for a decent price. A fast will definitely make power over the LS6 intake how much depends on your setup.

Last edited by Chris25; 07-10-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used 243/799's, cam kit, self-ported ls6 and headers should get you over the 400 mark on a budget. I like the used FAST idea too. Might as well change the oil pump and lifters, etc. Also get a new hi-po clutch.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much does the Honda weigh with the new engine?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Car on the scales was 2983 lbs. Still maintained the 50/50 L/R, F/B weight distribution. I bought the car as is, can't take credit on the build. 2002 S2000 curb weight advertised online is 2810 so a little higher but also has a camaro SS rear end and axles so I gotta assume some weight increase here over factory too.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At that weight and if you have the tire width to go with it I would recommend treating it like a C5 FRC/Z06 Corvette in terms of modifications and expected response.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by yonkerss
Looking to do a mild build for a 2004 GTO LS1 / T56 driveline. Engine / trans has around 100k on it.

Looking to start planning on a mild build for the engine / trans and would like opinions / input. This engine/trans is in a Honda S2000 but posted out here because I anticipate you guys would have the best information for this specific engine/trans.

I am thinking 400-450 rwhp would be the goal but not absolutely needed. I am thinking mild cam, intake, throttle body and headers (already have these but not installed) then having the car tuned. Heads are a possibility too. Looking to do this build to wake up the car a bit but not going crazy, I dont want to go forced induction. Car is a street machine and occasional track car (road courses).

I would like to hear people opinions on what route to go with this keeping budget in mind. I am perfectly good spending money when needed but same time not looking to be the fastest LS S2000 out there.

I have heard good things about 243 heads for the car, this worth while?

I know asking something like this is very subjective. I am looking to keep good strong reliability but just wake her up a hair.

We will be pulling the motor and trans for this build. Anything at 100k we should be considering to do while its sitting there? Oil pump / timing chain I am figuring.
I hate to sound like a dick, but a mild build will not be good for anything. If you have a 350HP motor in a lightweight car already, then the fact that you want more precludes a mild build. Anything you do that people here would consider mild will be a waste of money that will not satisfy your goals. The most cost effective route would be to keep the intake and cam, and spend that money on building a turbo kit. The lightweight car with small wheel wells may even keep you from needing any transmission upgrades.

Quick Reply: Mild Build Desire for 2004 GTO LS1/T56