LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuners for LT1

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuners for LT1

Who tunes LT1s? a shop in McKinney TX dyno tuned my 95 corvette but sold software and now does not tune and i just did more mods and need a new tune. any suggestions pls thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuning LT1s is becoming a rare art in quick order. I have the stock ECU and took it upon myself to learn to tune on my own. With a Moates cable, some free software (or paid), and a heavy amount of research, you'll be in good shape. I've spent a lot of time going through some other tuning specific forums and with a little bit of theory from that, you can apply what you learn and with some luck, get some appreciable results.

Beyond that, most guys convert to an LS1 PCM and then pretty much anyone can/will tune it.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 132 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_fast_1le
Who tunes LT1s? a shop in McKinney TX dyno tuned my 95 corvette but sold software and now does not tune and i just did more mods and need a new tune. any suggestions pls thanks
TunerProRT or Tunercats and get the LT1 flash utility. Get onto Gearhead-EFI.com and do a lot of reading. Tune it yourself. I have tuned a few of them but it has been years since I messed with one.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Solomon, Moe Bailey, and Ed Wright "if hes still tuning" are a few of the best around.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:01 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still tuning.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

If you are looking for some information on how to tune, this guy on YouTube - Mega Mechatronics has a phenomenal Tuning 101 series that gives, what I would consider, some critical building blocks to tuning your own car. Talks about Fueling/Spark and gets into things like looking at LTFT and VE, MAF calibrations, etc. It's pretty straight forward if you willing to sit through all the videos, take some notes and learn. He is using HP Tuners but the theory could easily be applied to other tuning platforms.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I'm still tuning.
That's real good to hear.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went TorqHead 24X The Works kits.

Moe actually tuned my PCM for my LS1 ignition setup.

I'm in Nebraska and if you don't have LS you are SOL real quick. Plus I want to be able to throw it on the dyno and have some good tuning do that is fairly close to me such as through the SHOP INC or BarnYard Garage which is just a few miles out from where I live. I know the name sounds funny but they build awesome cars (the shop as well as barnyard).
Old 03-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Teching In

I'm still tuning.
Where are you located ?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97sswcubes
Where are you located ?

http://www.fastchip.com/

Oklahoma
Old 03-18-2019, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blk97z28

He just tuned my 1996 Trans Am a few weeks ago on a mail in order. I haven't had a chance to move it further than the end of the driveway yet, but it idled a lot better rolling down the driveway before the water pump decided to **** on everything. Putting in a EWP now so I'm hoping to have some better insight for everybody soon.

Do your research, there are quite a few tuners, but only a select few who are known to do it consistently well.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Please Mr. Wright see my post about cam and Injections issues. I believe my brothers custom chip was done in OK. By whom I do t know. Any insight would be great.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:21 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaytek
Please Mr. Wright see my post about cam and Injections issues. I believe my brothers custom chip was done in OK. By whom I do t know. Any insight would be great.
OK. I found your post. If plugging a different chip in it seemed to help for a while, then went back to very rich, would tell most people the ECM is "seeing" data telling it the engine needs a lot more fuel. A person competent with a good scan tool could diagnose that for him in a few minutes.
Any thing else is guesses.
Make sure the Coolant Temp sensor is plugged in correctly. A faulty connection there tells the ECM the engine temp is 40 degrees below zero, which would require a LOT more fuel.
If I made it, there will be a sticker on it saying Fastchip. So many guys either don't actually know what their new injectors are, and seem to not know where to set their unneeded adjustable fuel pressure regulators. Besides there is no need for one, they are prone to have leaky diaphragms, that allow fuel to be sucked through the vacuum hose, causing a rich condition. Adjustable regulators are pretty much monkey see, monkey do Internet message board deal. Simply not needed.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Teching In

OK. I found your post. If plugging a different chip in it seemed to help for a while, then went back to very rich, would tell most people the ECM is "seeing" data telling it the engine needs a lot more fuel. A person competent with a good scan tool could diagnose that for him in a few minutes.
Any thing else is guesses.
Make sure the Coolant Temp sensor is plugged in correctly. A faulty connection there tells the ECM the engine temp is 40 degrees below zero, which would require a LOT more fuel.
If I made it, there will be a sticker on it saying Fastchip. So many guys either don't actually know what their new injectors are, and seem to not know where to set their unneeded adjustable fuel pressure regulators. Besides there is no need for one, they are prone to have leaky diaphragms, that allow fuel to be sucked through the vacuum hose, causing a rich condition. Adjustable regulators are pretty much monkey see, monkey do Internet message board deal. Simply not needed.

yea thanks I will check the temp sensor. the injectors and regulator are stock replacement. nothing upgraded just new parts. Being it is OBD1 and the oldest LT1 platform it is very hard to find someone who can tune it or do anything with it.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
If you are looking for some information on how to tune, this guy on YouTube - Mega Mechatronics has a phenomenal Tuning 101 series that gives, what I would consider, some critical building blocks to tuning your own car. Talks about Fueling/Spark and gets into things like looking at LTFT and VE, MAF calibrations, etc. It's pretty straight forward if you willing to sit through all the videos, take some notes and learn. He is using HP Tuners but the theory could easily be applied to other tuning platforms.
Mega Mechatronics has my favorite video series on engine tuning. Much better than most people providing info on youtube, though I appreciate their efforts of putting the info out there.

Here's the best sites for reading info
http://fbodytech.com/tutorials/
http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/
http://www.ltxtech.com/forums/showth...5-Obd1-Version
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php
Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaytek
yea thanks I will check the temp sensor. the injectors and regulator are stock replacement. nothing upgraded just new parts. Being it is OBD1 and the oldest LT1 platform it is very hard to find someone who can tune it or do anything with it.
OBD1 sucks due to lack of support, but makes up for it with free/affordable software. You can setup for tuning for around $50-80 what easily costs 10 times as much for more modern platforms.