Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48 Studebaker LS3 swap Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48 Studebaker LS3 swap Build Thread

I just thought i would start a build thread for this 1948 Studebaker Business Coupe,the excellent folks on this site have given me help,maybe this thread can be of help to others who are contemplating a similar unconventional build.I bought this car (not running) out of a barn in maryland ,where it had been sitting since 1972. The body is extremely solid and the original paint is still in pretty decent shape. The car only has 29,000 miles on it.My plan for this car is to transplant a Ls3 and TR6060, i got out of a 2010 Camaro SS ,,along with the necessary upgrades to the differential,suspension,braking,and other systems in order to make this a well functioning car. I am a blue collar family man with three sons still at home so this build is being done with an eye on the $. I really like the look of this car so I want to keep it stock looking as much as possible.Having said that,putting 430 HP in a 2500 lb car that originally had 80 HP is really going to wake it up !! The ultimate SLEEPER !!

Me making room for the LS3

First we got the running gear to fit,we are figuring motor mounts

Had to modify the floorboards!!, TR6060 was a tad bigger than the 3 on the tree!!

Got Motor Mounts made

Fabricated Transmission cross member

Transmission cross member
I really like the style of the car and want to keep the car stock looking as much as possible. Having said that ,putting 430 HP in a 2500 lb car that originally had 80 HP ,is really going to wake it up!!! The ultimate SLEEPER !!!

just hauled out of the barn getting ready to load

Pulling out the original flathead 6 and 3 on the tree

First car up on our newly installed lift!!

The complete 2010 LS3 Camaro SS Pullout bought from Olmstead Automotive ,$6700

oil sump was in wrong place for the Studebaker, Moroso had a replacement Pan with front sump

I must have been delusional to think this would fit without removing the entire front clip

Last edited by 48studebakerbusinesc; 03-12-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: pictures out of order
Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like fun.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Default 48 Studebaker LS3 swap build Thread

Does anybody know what this goes to? I think it is coolant line ,but part of the oil cooler system. Can I just remove it and plug it ?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Looks like it's screwed into the side of the block, but into an oil gallery or water jacket? I would think either way you could remove it and plug the hole
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Default 48 Studebaker LS3 swap build Thread

more pictures of the Build

I wanted to use original pedals and corresponding set up, so I Had to Fabricate pseudo-firewall to mount master cylinder and clutch master cylinder

This was where original single reservoir master cylinder was. To fill with fluid there was an access panel in the floor, I will make it bigger to access both master cylinders

Took out gas tank, re-lined it with POR-15, put in high pressure fuel pump,new sending unit for fuel, and put tank back in

Ready to hook up

tank didn't have fuel pump so i had to make a hole in trunk, so tank would fit,I will make an access panel

put in 2000 corvette fuel filter /regulator
Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What are you using for fuel line? I've never seen red rubber fuel line.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Default 48 Studebaker LS-3 conversion rear end width

Got it at Napa,it is rated for 200 psi
Old 03-14-2019, 04:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 48studebakerbusinesc
Does anybody know what this goes to? I think it is coolant line ,but part of the oil cooler system. Can I just remove it and plug it ?
Pretty sure that's an oil cooler line. I think there is a block off you can get for it.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Teching In

here are some pics of the ford 9 inch out of a 70 ford bronco I put in.Original rear end was a Dana 30,57 inches wide regular rear end (will only spin one tire)s 57 inches wide . Bronco rear is 58 inches wide ,Posi , 4-11 gears

Old 03-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Teching In

The LS3 Tranny I put in is a TR6060 6 speed manual, It has tranny fluid cooling lines, what should i connect these to? the radiator i am using does not have tranny cooling lines.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

The LS3 Tranny I put in is a TR6060 6 speed manual, It has tranny fluid cooling lines, what should i connect these to? the radiator i am using does not have tranny cooling lines.
Get an external tranny cooler. Even easier.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I see in your fuel tank hose connections you are using worm gear clamps, those are incorrect for fuel injection lines, at your fuel regulator you have a mish mash of the correct and incorrect fuel injection hose clamps as well. Another note those quick disconnects at your fuel regulator have the plastic retainers which have been known to not retain the quick disconnect properly and pop off causing fuel leaks and possible fires. I also have never seen red fuel injection hose, as you say it may be rated for 200#’s of pressure, but is it fuel injection hose rated? Just a few words of caution.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:30 AM
Teching In

What would be a better set up? The last thing I want to do is have the incorrect set up and have problems. Although I have 40 years shade tree mechanic experience,This is my first build , and there is a lot I don't know
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Pretty sure that's an oil cooler line. I think there is a block off you can get for it.
That is a coolant line for a cooler...……. You can remove it as GM has plugs for cars not having that function...…. But.... Beware that when GM installs them at the factory the sealant they use usually causes thread damage during removal...… happened on every one I removed...…. If that happens I had a tap made for fixing that issue...… Let me know and I will send it to you to re-tap the hole...…

Ken
Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Should be interesting, once this gets on the road.
Stock, 70 y/o suspension, & a ton of HP.....
We just completed a similar build, on a 62 Stude. Fatman ft suspension, Caltrac springs, bars, 8.8".
Good luck w/ the build.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Should be interesting, once this gets on the road.
Stock, 70 y/o suspension, & a ton of HP.....
We just completed a similar build, on a 62 Stude. Fatman ft suspension, Caltrac springs, bars, 8.8".
Good luck w/ the build.
I here you,in the long run probably better off to get rid of all the old stuff and upgrade everything . The reason I am not doing it now ,$$, I am a blue collar worker with 3 Teenage sons still at home, I figure its better to do this now and drive and enjoy the car with my family,than wait until I can afford to do it right and my sons are gone away.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Here are some more pics

There are 3 types of LS manifolds :Camaro,Corvette, And Truck. None would work (something was always in the way) Came up with the idea of switching sides . It works !!

Moroso had a bolt on oilfilter attachment

Alternator wouldn"t work low,ICT Billet had a relocation bracket kit that works great

Using the Ford 9 inch out of the 70 Bronco is great, Brake parts are right on the shelf!!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kwhizz
That is a coolant line for a cooler...……. You can remove it as GM has plugs for cars not having that function...…. But.... Beware that when GM installs them at the factory the sealant they use usually causes thread damage during removal...… happened on every one I removed...…. If that happens I had a tap made for fixing that issue...… Let me know and I will send it to you to re-tap the hole...…

Ken
Went to dealer today,ordered the plug. When I removed the hose , came out very easy and nice,I will have to wait and see how the threads are when I get the plug.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I have a problem with the transmission yoke,I bought a Sonnax flanged yoke to connect to my TR6060 trans. It is going to work but one problem , the 3 holes in sonnax yoke are 1/2 inch , the 3 holes in the trans. are 12mm. Any ideas? how have other folks dealt with this? I have included picture of back of trans.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Sonnnax yoke