Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Precision turbo reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Precision turbo reliability

im looking at picking up a pair of 6766 cea with ceramic bb but i see in the past they had reliability issues when then stopped using garret internals and started making their own. The most recent thing i could find is that the bearings may have fitment issues on the shaft and because the bearings are a little loose that the shaft spins on the inner race causing failures. Looking for opinions or any info people can give me
Old 03-17-2019, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

If anything most failures I've heard of online were much older units and oil journal.

Havent really heard any horror stories in the fast few years ?

Are you buying new or second hand ? BB Essential ? They do add to cost significantly.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I am going to purchase new. I would also rather pay more up front for better durability. So had anyone else heard about the bearing race issue and them not being as “press on” as they should be. I actually heard someone recommendin putting some loctite on the inside race
Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Im less than impressed. Had one lay down at around 10k miles.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Which model? How long ago? What was the cause of the failure?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Which model? How long ago? What was the cause of the failure?
Billet GTS 7675. Piston let go, what really upset me was they would neither sell me the parts so I could fix it myself, or give me an estimate. Just told me to "send it in, we will take care of you".
Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year before last, I had one of my 6766's starting leaking some oil, so I assumed it was a seal. I ran them all season, and hard. I sent it in to be repaired. They said it was an unusual failure and covered replacing the center section, turbine side, and paid return shipping. I had put them on my car at the end of the previous season, so they were purchased more than a year before the failure.

Everyone's situation is slightly unique, but I can say, without a doubt, this particular experience they went above and beyond without me asking about a resolution.

It was because of this service I didn't hesitate buying my 7675's January 2018. So far so good, but I also run them hard and I'll probably wish I would have went BB.

Just my $.02, but so far I've been happy.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought a single PT7675 w/Billet wheel, journal bearing in 2012. I first ran it on my all forged LT1 in my 96 z28 M6. After 2 years, I decided to follow the herd, pulling out the still running LT1 (sold it to a gent in Austin, TX) and put in a built 5.3. While it was down, I thought, "Hey, I'll send it to Forced Inductions and have them check it out, put in fresh seals, etc. Can't hurt" . Well, like GamOva said, they don't like to sell parts (okay, they WON'T) for their turbos. So, when it took forever to get the news that Forced Inductions were finally able to source the seals etc, I was over the moon. Until then, I had no idea they were so proprietary about their parts. It wasn't Forced Inductions fault. Heck, they probably groaned when they opened the box and saw I wanted new seals. The turbo, new, cost either $1,300 or $1,400 and the refresh was only about $250.

It has been a solid unit though. No failures. I've ran it on a daily driver in both Houston and Upstate NY. Commutes to/from office, weekly drives from Albany on Sunday to Rochester, then on Thursdays, back home (3.5 hours each way). Racing a pesky WRX/STI every now and then on the way. Never missed a beat. No restrictors -3an oil feed, -10an drain. I've run it at 15 psi for most of its early life, a week or two at 21psi on the LT1. With the 5.3 it's *normally* at 21psi and has been at a transmission and differential wrecking 29 psi a few times. The turbo's fine. The 'built for 800hp by Century" (Richmond, TX) broke hard parts, the Ford 8.8 broke off the tranny mount (admittedly a dicey design but hey, it had lasted from 2003 till 2018 on slicks, nitrous, turbos, and all kinds of drag racing previously)

If I had the money these days, I'd still buy Precision. Even though I'm still struggling to finish my twins install (good weather is approaching fast!), I still have the PT7675 to put back on if I can't get them finished!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ran both over the years. If u want dependability go with a Garrett. I have NEVER had a Garrett fail or had friends have one fail.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What MIA said!!! This is my personal experience also.