Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

8" Tablet Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 8" Tablet Headunit

I have to think I'm the first person to do this. Here is my motivation for doing this... My car is used mostly to Autocross. Recently I bought SoloStorm data logger software. It is possible to collect and review data real-time with this software. Last week we used this on my phone and it was just too much data on a tiny screen and having the phone attached to the windshield was annoying. So I decided to buy a tablet to review data, at first I thought I would just mount this in front of the radio, but that would look dumb. So I decided to mount in the double DIN opening bezel I had. So I bought a Samsung 7" tablet which would fit perfectly behind a double DIN opening. Those tablets use an old non-updatable version of Android OS and my GoPro App would not work with it. So I returned that and bought an 8" tablet with no plan on how to install. I decided to hack up my factory radio bezel. Doing this I lost the buttons and the CAMARO nameplate. I now have the fog lamp button just buried in the dash, I could mount it somewhere else, but I don't care I leave them on anyway. The only other button my car had was ASR and that is completely removed.

Everything works great except the USB used to power the tablet has a ground loop issue. If it playing audio there is zero buzz. If not playing audio there is buzz. If I unplug the power no buzz. I found this is common and a USB filter can be used. It is $40, I'm not going to bother with that right now.

I used a DC-DC converter for a USB outlet with a USB to 90 degree USB-C. A 90 degree headphone to RCA to connect to the amp. My mounting plate was 1/8" aluminum plate with a tablet case double sided to the mounting plate. This took some trimming to get it to fit.

I had to hack the hell out of my bezel to get this thing to fit. It is a clean edge, but not finished on the edge, but I think it still looks good enough. This tablet only has Wifi, so my plan is to use my phone as a hotspot if I want to use data of any sort. If no data I will download offline content for google maps and amazon music. The lock button is hidden, so I downloaded a simple app to lock the screen. The volume buttons are also hidden, so I downloaded an app to put volume buttons on the screen at all times (you can see the little blue icons)... works great. Some tablets have FM radio chips, this one does not.

The rest of my system: This year to put my car on a diet and not lose my radio I chucked my huge PPI amp and 12" speaker box. I also chucked all the original Monsoon amp wiring. This was a HUGE amount of wires. I have Focal separates in the doors and just installed Kicker Comp VR 6.5" subs in the sail panels.

I replaced the huge amp (15 lb) and mounted this Kicker 300.4 mini amp (2 lb) to the right quarter. Only problem with this little amp is that it can't do HP/LP filtering the way I would need. So I'm just running all channels with unfiltered signal for now. The tablet has an equalizer.

The tablet is pretty slick looking and operating. The sound is pretty good, bass / mid-bass hits pretty hard and overall can hit some serious volume out of a tiny little amp. My old system is far better, but my car is so loud with engine/exhaust/road noise inside audiophile quality is pointless.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is sick!
i want to do same but couldn’t figure out mounting.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

You can hit Amazon or eBay and find 10" android based tablets that fit double din. Here's a newer one that has nice features
xtrons 10.1 xtrons 10.1
Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

A 10" screen won't fit in a double DIN opening, so I'm not sure what you mean. Double DIN fits about a 7" screen.

I am a bit weary of some of these odd brands of Android stuff, but it is an interesting option, I just don't want to be the guinea pig... that one you linked to has 3 stars. The tablet I got is a Samsung, I got a good deal on this $130 1.5gb 32gb, and it is reliable.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Look better at the link. It's a double din stereo with an adjustable 10" screen off the front.

I only linked that specific one because I've been watching something from that brand so it was quick to find the link. There's some for 200 all the way to 500 depending on the Android version and memory/processor and if they include the dash cam, backup cam or other options. The reliability is hit or miss on Android stereos at this point, but the features for the price make them a good option on a budget.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

00PewterSS is correct in that there is no way a 10" screen will fit into a double DIN opening. The Double DIN standard defines the display size not the frame size of the head unit. That standard is defined as 180mm x 100mm (about 7" x 4") so a larger screen would have to be stuck on the front outside of the dash bezel. If you look at the photo accompanying the first review, you'll see that it looks like someone stuck a tablet onto their dash. Not nearly as integrated looking as what 00PewterSS did with the 8" tablet.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

this is very nice work!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
00PewterSS is correct in that there is no way a 10" screen will fit into a double DIN opening. The Double DIN standard defines the display size not the frame size of the head unit. That standard is defined as 180mm x 100mm (about 7" x 4") so a larger screen would have to be stuck on the front outside of the dash bezel. If you look at the photo accompanying the first review, you'll see that it looks like someone stuck a tablet onto their dash. Not nearly as integrated looking as what 00PewterSS did with the 8" tablet.

That's what I said in my last post. They run the large screen off the front of the double din. Depending on the shape of the dash it can look really good or really bad. It can also block access to anything that sits behind the screens final resting place. You can see in that pic it's blocking part of a vent and something else in the bottom right.