Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.8l 351ci iron block (bored 5.3l)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 5.8l 351ci iron block (bored 5.3l)

Non-Sponsor Soliciting Policy

Last edited by KCS; 10-22-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 541 Likes on 386 Posts

How much power does it make?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
How much power does it make?
544hp on the engine dyno. Its in a AWD Denali right now and I do not have a AWD Dyno to get accurate WHP so i can only assume 20% loss in a 2wd car would be 430+

The combo is practically a 30 over ls6 with cam, head work, long tubes, CAI, and a hot tune. The 799 heads are the same as 243s which come stock on ls6. it also has a FAST 92mm intake on it which I forgot to mention above it had been collecting dust on a shelf it had a PTM throttle body for the engine dyno but it's DBW now in the Denali . The FAST doesn't really help till 5500rpm. & with The cam advanced 4° the cam falls off around 5800 so it's a waste and doesn't help much in this application (heavy suv needs torque) I recommend a truck intake or tbss if clearance is a issue.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 341 Posts

the price of the engine doesnt really count if you already have a ton a "free parts" "laying around collecting dust"
Old 10-20-2019, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 541 Likes on 386 Posts

Im impressed!!
The following users liked this post:
Touched By Pros (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
the price of the engine doesnt really count if you already have a ton a "free parts" "laying around collecting dust"
Go figure, the junk yard motor for $200 comes with heads on it, why can't you use them? I nice milled set of 862 does great. Yeah I stuck a FAST intake on it that's is only good over 5500rpm. Use the truck intake and make the same #'s...

Not sure what your argument is other than to argue but I don't see why you are assuming you can't use the heads and intake that come on the Lm7. This post was mainly aimed at the bore/piston size indicating you don't need a 6.0 when you can make more power per dollar with a 5.3l
Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Cool! My '01 Camaro still has the original LS1 in it. However, if the engine ever goes I know I can build a 5.3l to match the std LS1 bore or go .030 over. And there are plenty of 5.3l ls V8s in the junkyard nearby. I rebuilt the 350 in my '73 Nova so this would be more of the same. Thanks.

Last edited by KCS; 10-22-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

How much hp and tq and where?

Do you have a dyno graph?

I like the build and the 3.930 bore with cheapo flat tops! Curious if they hold up long term or if you have used those in other builds and have some long term experience with. A set of 8 pistons for under $70 is kinda scary but if they work they work!

Over all I dig it but man that's a lot of info to give without giving us the number 1 thing we all want to know and that's what are the numbers!!?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

So, where can we get those pistons at for that price?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever

Thanks.
Ebay, type in ls1 pistons and scroll down. I just checked again and they are on there.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
How much hp and tq and where?

Do you have a dyno graph?

I like the build and the 3.930 bore with cheapo flat tops! Curious if they hold up long term or if you have used those in other builds and have some long term experience with. A set of 8 pistons for under $70 is kinda scary but if they work they work!

Over all I dig it but man that's a lot of info to give without giving us the number 1 thing we all want to know and that's what are the numbers!!?
As mentioned I currently don't have a AWD dyno and I have only done first oil change after the first drive and second at 3k miles. This engine is performing extremely well. I will do a YouTube video of it this Thursday after I touch up the Tune on it. I will post a link. I have used the $68 diamond pro pistons in a stock bore 5.3l that the customer hammers on very hard daily with no issues. He has over 20k miles with zero problems. I have nothing to gain here by telling you a junk piston is good for a budget build, but I can say with confidence the engine is holding up to a daily 6750rpm beating.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SoCalDave
Cool! My '01 Camaro still has the original LS1 in it. However, if the engine ever goes I know I can build a 5.3l to match the std LS1 bore or go .030 over. And there are plenty of 5.3l ls V8s in the junkyard nearby. I rebuilt the 350 in my '73 Nova so this would be more of the same. Thanks.
We DO TONS of LS builds and more common than not F Body guys wind up with a 5.3l in their car when they come to my shop simply because the cost. I can put a cammed/tuned 5.3l in for half the cost and spank a 5.7 all day long. A 5.3l and Ls1 are pretty much the same engine. The ls1 has the weight advantage but I have put plenty 100lb girls in my front seat and it doesn't feel slower by any means lol.

A 5.3l and 5.7l share the same crank/rods bore size is larger on the 5.7l but if did the match the larger bore in the 5.7l is good for less than 2hp. Its the flat tops that give it the edge. If you put 4.8l flat tops in a 5.3l they dyno the same as a ls1 if not more because of the smaller CC 862 cylinder heads. A l33 is a factory flat top 5.3l which matches the ls1 HP.

Check out my Instagram page @touchedbypros
Old 10-21-2019, 04:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever

Thanks.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ng-policy.html
This is where I got the pistons.

Last edited by Che70velle; 10-21-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I think the general issue is with the FAST intake setup. Having an $800 intake/TB setup "laying around" is hardly fair when talking about extreme budget. A stock intake manifold would have been a better test. And since the cam peaks north of 5500 rpms, claiming the FAST only helps above 5500 rpm's is pretty moot.I think it's a cool build, but saying the FAST setup is an after thought is a bit of a stretch.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I think the general issue is with the FAST intake setup. Having an $800 intake/TB setup "laying around" is hardly fair when talking about extreme budget. A stock intake manifold would have been a better test. And since the cam peaks north of 5500 rpms, claiming the FAST only helps above 5500 rpm's is pretty moot.I think it's a cool build, but saying the FAST setup is an after thought is a bit of a stretch.
Not sure if we are on the same page here. I guess stating that the 4° I have the cam advanced brings the power band 400rpm lower making the cam fall off around 5500rpm didnt process so here I'll put it in simple english.

The FAST intake is useless on this engine and it makes the same HP and more torque on a stock truck manifold with longer runners. Please tell me again on how it's a stretch?

If the cam were retarded 4° and I had the FAST on it and PTM TB then your argument would be valid. But stating that the FAST intake helps this engine with 4° of adv. cam timing and such a low duration makes no sense.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Touched By Pros
Not sure if we are on the same page here. I guess stating that the 4° I have the cam advanced brings the power band 400rpm lower making the cam fall off around 5500rpm didnt process so here I'll put it in simple english.

The FAST intake is useless on this engine and it makes the same HP and more torque on a stock truck manifold with longer runners. Please tell me again on how it's a stretch?

If the cam were retarded 4° and I had the FAST on it and PTM TB then your argument would be valid. But stating that the FAST intake helps this engine with 4° of adv. cam timing and such a low duration makes no sense.
If you posted a dyno graph there wouldn't be any vagueness about power/peak etc. If the FAST intake is so worthless, happy to trade for a stock intake You're not a sponsor on here, but post up a build with your info all over the place, leave out details in the initial post, and get defensive when people question parts of the build....why is this a surprise?
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Teching In

If you posted a dyno graph there wouldn't be any vagueness about power/peak etc. If the FAST intake is so worthless, happy to trade for a stock intake You're not a sponsor on here, but post up a build with your info all over the place, leave out details in the initial post, and get defensive when people question parts of the build....why is this a surprise?
Why is there always that one guy? I posted a extreme budget build mainly directed at the bore and cheap piston set and a cam spec that works well to achieve low end torque from a scrap 5.3l... and your comment about not being a sponsor, I gave the readers who are here for a budget build a free spec and free knowledge to build their engine. Sponsors pay the page, im giving directly to the people also I'm not selling anything nor do I do mail orders so no harm here. If you want to check my credibility I donated a $10,000 LS last week to a offroad charity auction would you like the link to view it on the local news. I have no problem helping anybody who is dedicated to their LS build and give away used parts daily. I'm not here to profit and make money I'm here to offer help and show people on a tight budget a way to make their dreams come true on a basic average income.

I posted a solid build, I didnt post it for a guy like yourself to come on here and be combative and try to pick it apart. All the data I posted adds up and if you dont have any intentions on a 5.3l budget build then your opinion is not needed here. This forum is loaded with very valuable information site wide but as I browse around it's also very muddied up with guys like yourself who chime in just to stir the pot. Why dont we all practice making the forum a better/friendlier place.

The Tiffany's Blue engine is what I built last week and donated to a charity so please dont act like I'm posting my name all over in attempt to "profit"

Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Touched By Pros
Why is there always that one guy? I posted a extreme budget build mainly directed at the bore and cheap piston set and a cam spec that works well to achieve low end torque from a scrap 5.3l... and your comment about not being a sponsor, I gave the readers who are here for a budget build a free spec and free knowledge to build their engine. Sponsors pay the page, im giving directly to the people also I'm not selling anything nor do I do mail orders so no harm here. If you want to check my credibility I donated a $10,000 LS last week to a offroad charity auction would you like the link to view it on the local news. I have no problem helping anybody who is dedicated to their LS build and give away used parts daily. I'm not here to profit and make money I'm here to offer help and show people on a tight budget a way to make their dreams come true on a basic average income.

I posted a solid build, I didnt post it for a guy like yourself to come on here and be combative and try to pick it apart. All the data I posted adds up and if you dont have any intentions on a 5.3l budget build then your opinion is not needed here. This forum is loaded with very valuable information site wide but as I browse around it's also very muddied up with guys like yourself who chime in just to stir the pot. Why dont we all practice making the forum a better/friendlier place.

The Tiffany's Blue engine is what I built last week and donated to a charity so please dont act like I'm posting my name all over in attempt to "profit"

Why is there always that 1 arrogant shop??? Last time I checked I wasn't the first one to question in this thread. I simply explained why others have a problem with "free parts on the shelf collecting dust". Maybe next time post the complete story in the 1st post with a dyno graph and state the "free parts" and people won't take issue.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Why is there always that 1 arrogant shop??? Last time I checked I wasn't the first one to question in this thread. I simply explained why others have a problem with "free parts on the shelf collecting dust". Maybe next time post the complete story in the 1st post with a dyno graph and state the "free parts" and people won't take issue.
The free parts were stated from the beginning, you just dont know when to quit do ya?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:22 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

More money than a 6.0. Had to machine the motor and build it vs a cheap 6.0 for $800 that's ready to go .. and running a fast intake . Lol man this is good stuff. *budget* .

Edit . And no dyno graph

Quick Reply: 5.8l 351ci iron block (bored 5.3l)