Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E38 / E67 With T87/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default E38 / E67 With T87/A

Playing with the T87 / T87A TCM for some GM retro fit projects, in both the gas and diesel OS versions. Have the CANbus related stuff all sorted, able stay out of limp mode tables, and keep the ECM and TCM speaking happy on the bench for several hours with just a crank/cam emulator faking our LS spinning hardware.Everything in the TCM responds as should, and ready to go further.

The BCM and EBCM communications require a bit more work to keep the "No Comms" DTC's away, depending on the body year. But so far the 2012 E38 OS and 2016 T87 OS combo looks promising. Anyone interested in beta testing some new hardware, and has a 6,8, or 10spd they would like to connected it to something GM didn't intend, PM me..

The following users liked this post:
rsz288 (12-23-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 11:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Have you figured out how to handle the torque input for the transmission?
rsz288 (12-23-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by minytrker
Have you figured out how to handle the torque input for the transmission?
As far as getting the correct values from the ECM that the TCM requires for shifting and such, yes. I've been playing with high speed GMLAN for a good while. Mostly in stand alone or marine setups. So I have a complete GlobalA DBC file showing the parameters details down to the bit, and hardware to manipulate said data on the fly. I've had it talking for some time, just need to record it making some shifts live now.
rsz288 (12-23-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:04 AM
Teching In

And before ya ask, yes I can most likely make the T87's play nice with Holley also. Pretty familiar with the Holley Standard protocol, I also build those marine gateways.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

We have had holley working with 6l80's for probably three plus years. IMO our way is much better than how holley came out with but I understand why holley did what they did, Our way is easier to tune the 6l80 better,
Old 12-22-2023, 12:31 PM
Teching In

We probably spoke about that setup in the past. Several people hit me up over the years about converting HEFI to GMLAN. I only did Racepak protocol until they dropped it in TermX, then I finally reversed the standard protocol also. Then someone hit me up about these new TCM units, which are quite robust I must say Just really picky on their data packets, and the addition of Permanent DTC's is an interesting touch. But with a little hacking help, and the A2l files, it's actually pretty nice TCM option. I just need someone to help verify the two way communications works across all the different platforms in the real world. Got the Truck stuff sorted also.

rsz288 (12-23-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

Shoot me an email with your information. I'm sure we both have alot of the same info but maybe I can help. There is a lot of info I wont post online.
rsz288 (12-23-2023)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Playing with the T87 / T87A TCM for some GM retro fit projects, in both the gas and diesel OS versions. Have the CANbus related stuff all sorted, able stay out of limp mode tables, and keep the ECM and TCM speaking happy on the bench for several hours with just a crank/cam emulator faking our LS spinning hardware.Everything in the TCM responds as should, and ready to go further.

The BCM and EBCM communications require a bit more work to keep the "No Comms" DTC's away, depending on the body year. But so far the 2012 E38 OS and 2016 T87 OS combo looks promising. Anyone interested in beta testing some new hardware, and has a 6,8, or 10spd they would like to connected it to something GM didn't intend, PM me..

Hey kidturbo I've seen your work here and on another forum interfacing this setup and you seem to know your stuff. I can't get approved on the other forum and can't pm you here because it's a new account.

I have a 2005 ctsv with an ls6 and 8l90 currently running and driving for a while now with the tcm2650. All is well and I love the setup but my engine is tired and lack of torque management has me up in the air.

I have an arduino and can tools although im nowhere near as advanced as you and others are, the 06-07 model cars came with an e67. I want to interface the e67 to the t87 I have to be able to run a gen 4 setup. Otherwise ill be looking at a full gen 5 swap and losing factory functions on car.

Is there anyway I could get with you on this and maybe just get some advice on where I need to proceed? I'm going to start pulling can data today but I'm very new to this.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Default Interested in this

Hey man can't dm you, but looking and super interested. Love to know (not looking for handout) how to possibly get E38 os to cooperate with t87a on 10spd os to kinda 10spd swap my own stuff. Love to get talking and if I can test and work with you on stuff.

kidturbo;20534672]Playing with the T87 / T87A TCM for some GM retro fit projects, in both the gas and diesel OS versions. Have the CANbus related stuff all sorted, able stay out of limp mode tables, and keep the ECM and TCM speaking happy on the bench for several hours with just a crank/cam emulator faking our LS spinning hardware.Everything in the TCM responds as should, and ready to go further.

Old 06-03-2024, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the lag on replies, it's been busy past couple months. Have made great progress on the T87A platform thanks to the help of a couple other members. Have tested a running E38 fuel LS, bolted up against the 10L90 in a stand alone environment. Making it much easier to sort out the missing pieces, compared to just sifting through data collected from an ECM/TCM combo on the bench. Based off this data I was able to isolate what the T87A is requiring hardware connections wise, as well as the CANbus / GMLAN side of life.

With all this data, I've been tackling the hardware side, while another buddy went to work on the T87A 10L90 OS "insides.." And he's hacked us out a little custom TCM calibration that seems just peachy happy without any BCM, EBCM, or other network nodes attached. All comms report happy, without any DTC's being disabled in the actual tune. We just told it, ya don't really need all that extra data to pick a gear do ya?? Talk about a birthday present, I just had to share these results. Proving this software approach just opened the door to bolting this transmission up to anything, literally..

Here is an EFIlive DTC check with only the TCM wired up on the bench. Nothing but power and 2 CANbus wires attached. I'm feeding it minimal recorded GM ECM data, and while it has set every possible permanent code known to man, there is zero communications related code in the list. Nor does it request a MIL over CANbus. So next, if it shifts, it ships.. lol.

Old 06-03-2024, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is awesome. Just subscribed to stay up to date on your findings.

this may come in big for me in the future.

I also just started researching e67 swapping my gen 3 truck. I’ve read about 10-15 threads so far across a few different sites. Trying to figure out exactly how to go about it.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 441 Likes on 311 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
This is awesome. Just subscribed to stay up to date on your findings.

this may come in big for me in the future.

I also just started researching e67 swapping my gen 3 truck. I’ve read about 10-15 threads so far across a few different sites. Trying to figure out exactly how to go about it.
The E67 swap can and has been done on 03-07 trucks. Current Performance will modify your wiring harness for the swap in your truck. I believe you use a trailblazer operating system on the engine side and I know they have been able to get them to work with the T43 in the 6L80E

Now making it all work with the T87A and a 8 or 10 speed is going to take a little work for those trucks. But if anyone here can do it, kidturbo can.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kidturbo
As far as getting the correct values from the ECM that the TCM requires for shifting and such, yes. I've been playing with high speed GMLAN for a good while. Mostly in stand alone or marine setups. So I have a complete GlobalA DBC file showing the parameters details down to the bit, and hardware to manipulate said data on the fly. I've had it talking for some time, just need to record it making some shifts live now.
How would one go about talking to you VIA DM?

Last edited by Piston_Killa; 07-02-2024 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Piston_Killa
How would one go about talking to you VIA DM?
Think you have to post a few here to get DM rights. However you can contact me directly at https://marinemods.us
Old 07-19-2024, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Last week we managed to make a little more progress on the LS3 with 10L90 stand alone setup. Was able to run the engine / transmission through the gears on the floor without any load on it. Overall it's happy now, and we logged a few runs capturing raw CANbus data. In which I found a couple calculated torque values someone fat fingered.. Those were making the TCM think the engine max torque is only 110nm. Yet somehow it still managed to find all the gears. Next up, tires attached to a driveshaft...

Quick Reply: E38 / E67 With T87/A