Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reaction shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Reaction shaft

Help me understand why the reaction shaft and hub are not sold as a one piece unit.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 578 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by reubone
Help me understand why the reaction shaft and hub are not sold as a one piece unit.
How would you even be able to machine it in one piece? Seems pretty much impossible unless it casted... and it would not be as precise or as strong.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

While with present 3d printing and more I would imagine it could be done, But would be difficult and pricy I would imagine, Anything is usually possible but cost effective or practical not so much lol.

Old 06-15-2024, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok difficulty in machining or manufacturing. Making it two pieces solves that equation while adding a significant wear point. Gotta do what ya gotta do I reckon.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by reubone
Ok difficulty in machining or manufacturing. Making it two pieces solves that equation while adding a significant wear point. Gotta do what ya gotta do I reckon.
Comes down to as with everything cost effectiveness. Kinda like Ideally all the units I build should be the stage max but then the market would decline massively due to cost.
Logically every part every product everything should be made the best possible out of the best materials . Which in a different economic system that would indeed make sense, In ours however it would put most things out of the reach of over half if not more of the people financially.

I will say some manufacturers have actually hurt themselves by doing things so well. Look at cars , When I was growing up I bought a car with 80k miles on it , At the time that was considered nearly worn out, Today that is a relatively low mileage car just getting started 200k 300k not uncommon.

Its like today I see people fuss about a 4L60E dying at 150k miles , I remember when a TH350 at 70K miles was considered a core a much much simpler trans lol.

I do like the idea of a 1 piece billet part for this however. and who knows with 3d printing and beyond someday parts like that may be common place, Want it just program it in and wahla you have it. However when that day comes I HOPE our economics system has changed evolveD or people like me and you and more will be living in boxes LOL.

Old 06-15-2024, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,246 Likes on 871 Posts

The Metallurgy and Surface Treatment for the Two different Components ideally should differ.
The following 2 users liked this post by vorteciroc:
bbond105 (06-15-2024), FranksCustomTrans (06-15-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Im in the same boat where the cost would not be worth the end result I would assume. They fixed the splines from twisting by heat treating them compared to the earlier version, and the wear on the teeth where they spline with the ring gear for what a new part cost and for the time it takes for the teeth to have significant wear to warrant replacing you got your moneys worth. The Sonnax 74602-01K is a very nice piece. Allows one to run early or late style planetaries, adjustability on rear end play, bearing type thrust. Seems the metal might be different compared to the GM one? But im not totally sure on that?
Old 06-23-2024, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
The Metallurgy and Surface Treatment for the Two different Components ideally should differ.
You correct

Quick Reply: Reaction shaft