Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best rear gear to run with 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best rear gear to run with 4l80e

Whats a good gear to run with 4l80e (2.48 first gear) ​​​to make up for the different first gear in the 4l60e(3.06 first gear).....Car will be ran in the quarter mile and currently running 410 gear. Just want to make up for the different gear ratio and extra weight from transmission.
Old 09-20-2024, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 672 Likes on 464 Posts

They is about a 20 percent difference in 1st gear ratios. So if you want the same feel you will need to raise the numerical ratio by about the same . So rough guess 4.88s or higher to get the same or similar first gear feel (I am not a rear end guy or a good mathematician ) but rough guess.

Old 09-20-2024, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
They is about a 20 percent difference in 1st gear ratios. So if you want the same feel you will need to raise the numerical ratio by about the same . So rough guess 4.88s or higher to get the same or similar first gear feel (I am not a rear end guy or a good mathematician ) but rough guess.
yeah, that's what I figured. I knkw forbsure i dont wanna do 4.88's being i like to drive car. I probably would run out of gear in the quarter mile, but thanks.
Old 09-20-2024, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 553 Likes on 429 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

A 4.10 gear is very streetable with an overdrive trans.
Old 09-20-2024, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98 blkmamba
yeah, that's what I figured. I knkw forbsure i dont wanna do 4.88's being i like to drive car. I probably would run out of gear in the quarter mile, but thanks.
Yes that is a common let down people get when they make the switch. Options do exist during the build. Sonnax offer 2.84 1st ratio set for the 80e but its high 1000 plus last i checked

Old 09-20-2024, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by bbond105
A 4.10 gear is very streetable with an overdrive trans.
Yes but he has 4.10s and did a swap from the 4l60e to the 80e and is disappointed in the first gear ratio change and wanted to know what rear gearing he would need to get back close I was thinking 4.88 would get him close

Old 09-20-2024, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Yes but he has 4.10s and did a swap from the 4l60e to the 80e and is disappointed in the first gear ratio change and wanted to know what rear gearing he would need to get back close I was thinking 4.88 would get him close
haven't made swap yet but I do have an 80e transmission...my 60e has been out my car 3 times and I'm just getting fed up with it and I'm considering doing 80e but I just hate adding the extra weight.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

What is your power level ? weight?

Old 09-20-2024, 01:08 PM
Teching In

What is your power level ? weight?
Currently lil over 500 to rear wheel......never weighed car but it has been lightened so 3400-3500 guessing
Old 09-20-2024, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yiu should have no issue running a 60e if built properly

The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 390 Likes on 251 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

4.10's are about perfect, maybe a 3.90 if you want a touch more topend. I would never put a dollar into a 60 in any place an 80 fits, jmo. I have an 80 in my TBSS and daily it with the 4 10's and it's fine.
98 blkmamba (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Yiu should have no issue running a 60e if built properly
point me in right direction cause I have been having bad luck thats why I'm considering 80e even though I hate to do it
Old 09-20-2024, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Depends on the tire. I'm not familiar with the f body's, but all my trucks run the 4L80e.

Don't forget the 4L80e has closer ratios between 1-2, which helps since you don't get a significant drop in RPM. That helps a lot. The lower gear is not as bad a people make it sound in my opinion. I also thought the same thing when I swapped the transmission on my 99 Silverado. I've been driving it with the stock 3.42 on that one. All my other trucks are 2500/3500s and have stock 4.10s. And 4th gear is a little numerically higher gear ratio also, which seems to hold gear better on the highway.

One number higher than what you have now would all you probably need.
Old 09-20-2024, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Depends on the tire. I'm not familiar with the f body's, but all my trucks run the 4L80e.

Don't forget the 4L80e has closer ratios between 1-2, which helps since you don't get a significant drop in RPM. That helps a lot. The lower gear is not as bad a people make it sound in my opinion. I also thought the same thing when I swapped the transmission on my 99 Silverado. I've been driving it with the stock 3.42 on that one. All my other trucks are 2500/3500s and have stock 4.10s. And 4th gear is a little numerically higher gear ratio also, which seems to hold gear better on the highway.

One number higher than what you have now would all you probably need.
Yes that what i read about the closer ratio...then i do plan on adding a power adder so its a no brainer
strutaeng (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 05:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

point me in right direction cause I have been having bad luck thats why I'm considering 80e even though I hate to do it
Well there is me lol and several other sponsors here,. Your weight to power ratio is well within a properly build 60es capabilities .

bbond105 (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 05:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This is a list of what I offer 60e wise and various builds and prices

ranks Custom Transmissions Build sheets and prices
Stage -1 up to 500 RWHP based on a 4000 lb car or truck
New Frictions
New steels
All seals
29 element input sprag
Heavy duty sunshell
Corvette servo
New borg pro series band
Resurfaced reverse input drum
7 friction 3-4 set with full thickness steels and custom made backing plate. Apply plate surfaced to be perfectly flat.
Custom shift kit with moderate firm shifts that are progressive
Full time overrun mod to protect sprag keeps overrun clutch on in all forward gears except actual 4th gear
Modified but not eliminated PWM circuit
AFL valve reemed and replaced if needed after testing
Custom 2-3 shift valve not sonnax for quicker upshifts on the 2-3
.500 boost valve set with PR set up for 200 psi max line based on factory tuning set up.
New wiring harness and shift solenoids
New factory style pan with removable drain plug heavy duty not cheap tin.
New bushings throughout
(dual bushings in rear sungear)
This unit is suitable for every day driver with light to moderate performance and heavy duty use comes with a 1 year no hassels warranty its simple you break it Ill fix it. just send it back.
PRICE = $2100 WHICH INCLUDES SHIPPING NO CORE REQUIRED TO ANY PLACE IN MAINLAND USA
Price is for 1993 TO 2006 4L60E YEAR FORWARD OF THAT PLEASE ASK FOR PRICE AS I HAVE TO CHECK PRICE AND CORE AVAILABILITY.
NO RETURN CORE REQUIRED
BIG NAME BUILD AT AFFORDABLE PRICES, DELIVERY TIMES VARY BUT CAN LET YOU KNOW AT TIME OF ORDER, ALL BUILT BY ME WITH 40 YEARS EXPEREINCE AND KNOW NOW.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
STAGE 2 4L60E BUILD UP TO 750 RWHP BASED ON A 4000LB CAR
New Frictions
New steels
All seals
29 element input sprag
Beast sunshell
Corvette second servo
Billet Dual servo overdrive 4h
New wide band
New reverse input drum.
8 friction 3-4 set carbon alto with custom made thick backing plate. Apply plate surfaced to be perfectly flat with specially modified steel plates to aid in cooling
Custom shift kit with moderate firm shifts that are progressive to aggressive as throttle increases.
Full time overrun mod to protect sprag keeps overrun clutch on in all forward gears except actual 4th gear (Engine braking 1-2-3 gears even in OD position.
New valve body plate
Modified but not eliminated PWM circuit custom.
AFL valve reamed and replaced if needed after testing
.500 boost valve set with PR set up for 200 psi max line based on factory tuning set up. Can go as high as 230psi with tune change to 99 percent max
New bushings throughout
This unit is suitable for anything everyday driver to all out performance beaten on
PRICE = $2500 WHICH INCLUDES SHIPPING NO CORE REQUIRED TO ANY PLACE IN MAINLAND USA
Price is for 1993 TO 2006 4L60E YEARS FORWARD OF THAT PLEASE ASK FOR PRICE AS I HAVE TO CHECK PRICE AND CORE AVAILABILITY. 700R4 ALSO AVAIABLE IN THIS BUILD CALL OR MESSAGE FOR PRICE.
NO RETURN CORE REQUIRED
BIG NAME BUILD AT AFFORDABLE PRICES, DELIVERY TIMES VARY BUT CAN LET YOU KNOW AT TIME OF ORDER, ALL BUILT BY ME WITH 40 YEARS EXPEREINCE AND KNOW NOW.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
STAGE 3 4L60E BUILD UP TO 900 RWHP BASED ON A 4000LB CAR
New Frictions
New steels
All seals
29 element input sprag
Collared input drum re-enforcement
Sonnax smart shell
Fairbanks superior 2nd gear servo for maximum hold in 2nd and quickest apply to 3rd gear.
New wide band
New reverse input drum.
9 friction 3-4 set carbon alto with custom made thick backing plate. Apply plate surfaced to be perfectly flat with specially modified steel plates to aid in cooling
Custom shift kit with moderate firm shifts that are progressive to aggressive as throttle increases. This build is more aggressive than the lower ones.
Full time overrun mod to protect sprag keeps overrun clutch on in all forward gears except actual 4th gear (Engine braking 1-2-3 gears even in OD position.
New valve body plate
5 pinion GM ONLY planets
.500 boost valve set with PR set up for 200 psi max line based on factory tuning set up. Can go as high as 230psi with tune change to 99 percent max
New bushings throughout
This unit is suitable for anything everyday driver to all out performance beaten on
PRICE = $3200 WHICH INCLUDES SHIPPING NO CORE REQUIRED TO ANY PLACE IN MAINLAND USA
Price is for 1993 TO 2006 4L60E YEARS FORWARD OF THAT PLEASE ASK FOR PRICE AS I HAVE TO CHECK PRICE AND CORE AVAILABILITY. 700R4 ALSO AVAIABLE IN THIS BUILD CALL OR MESSAGE FOR PRICE.
NO RETURN CORE REQUIRED
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
STAGE MAX 4L60E BUILD UP TO 1000 PLUS RWHP
New Frictions
New steels
seals
29 element input sprag
Sonnax smart drum
Sonnax smart shell
Fairbanks superior 2nd gear servo for maximum hold in 2nd and quickest apply to 3rd gear.
New wide band
New reverse input drum.
10 friction 3-4 set GPZ. Apply plate surfaced to be perfectly flat with specially modified steel plates to aid in cooling
Custom shift kit with moderate firm shifts that are progressive to aggressive as throttle increases. This build is more aggressive than the lower ones.
Low reverse clutch mod turns on the low reverse clutch in first gear to protect and massively increase low roller holding on extreme power launches D3 position only.
New valve body plate
5 pinion GM ONLY planet rear
Sonnax 2.84 6 pinion front planet for better ratio spread 1-2
Billet input and output shafts
New bushings throughout
This unit is built to take whatever its aggressive and no hole barred
PRICE = $6200 WHICH INCLUDES SHIPPING NO CORE REQUIRED TO ANY PLACE IN MAINLAND USA
Note this unit will only be built into the bolt on bell style case as I do not feel the older cases bells housing as up to its power rating.
NO RETURN CORE REQUIRED
Note this build requires a number of specialty parts and delivery times are unpredictable if you order this please be prepared to be patient .
Notes none come with a bell or tail housing unless bell made on to case with the exception of the STAGE MAX it comes with both in the LT-1 298MM input shaft configuration however tail will not be camaro or firebird type as torque are should be relocated for this power level unit,
Bell and tail housing for others are available at additional cost and separate shipping.

You can also see them here and photos of builds .

Facebook Post

bbond105 (09-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Best rear gear to run with 4l80e