Single Digit Club Running 9s or quicker? Damn!

9 sec 67 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9 sec 67 camaro

I also used this car for road racing with just a change of tires and shock settings. you tube TWIN TURBO Z06 CHANNEL (Z06 RACING).

Best of 9.89 @ 138.59 BBC th400 with gear vendors for 165 in the straights
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats...
Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dbs1
I also used this car for road racing with just a change of tires and shock settings. you tube TWIN TURBO Z06 CHANNEL (Z06 RACING).

Best of 9.89 @ 138.59 BBC th400 with gear vendors for 165 in the straights
What are the details of your combo? Engine size, vehicle weight, rear gear converter, front suspension, etc...? Thanks! Good job and the dual purpose car too!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car weighed 3450lbs empty. 468 BBC with ported edelbrock heads (rovals) and a somewhat mild solid cam, 950hp carb, th400 (big trans cooler) w/gear vendors and coan 3500 stall convertor, 3.73 gears. QA1 adjustable shocks in front and rancho's in the rear with cal trac bars. 12bolt posi 30 spline hardened axles with c-clip eliminators (leaked on the roundy round). full interior (back seat removed/alum racing seats in front) with 6 point cage/5 point harnesses. I removed the front inner fender wells and front bumper, but full glass, no a/c. 1" drop spindles, willwood 6 front/4 rear with hydratech brake setup that would throw you through the window, but it liked to spark doing burnouts. No line lock, street car with insurance and plate. Could drive the 200 miles to track and back. Big sway bars front and back, CCW wheels 17/18 on NT01 rubber.
10.8 on the engine/9.8 with 150 shot, 1.4 short times

If I had it to do over again, I would have built a wicked LS engine to get some weight off the front & cooler for 30 minutes, but boy did the Z06/Porshe guys get a surprise on track day-especially on the straights!

If you go to you tube on the site mentioned (TT Z06 channel) he followed me around the track for awhile and took a few pics of the car. I have not figured out yet how to post the 9 sec run video online yet.

It's now in Australia.

I am currently going through withdrawls trying to get my jollies with a high 11 sec 02 camaro, and trying to get used to getting spanked by mustangs I used to lap. Damn economy!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:46 PM
9 Second Club

Car weighed 3450lbs empty. 468 BBC with ported edelbrock heads (rovals) and a somewhat mild solid cam, 950hp carb, th400 (big trans cooler) w/gear vendors and coan 3500 stall convertor, 3.73 gears.
All I can say is effin' awesome! I love to hear about a road race and/or stock car with a big block. The surprises it gave them...indeed! I imagine it is truly a challenge to get it handling as it should around a road course. To hear about one with an automatic is also interesting to me. I presume your converter is rather tight in order to get that thing to work as it should- and Coan provides top notch eqiupment if you ask me. Congrats on a great build. I bet there is more in that motor too if you ask me.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can i please see pics of this car.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have the ability to post pics up. If you'll go to the spot on you tube I mentioned you can see the butt end of the car from a Z06 and then at the end he has some footage of it with the hood up. TTZ06 He has a few different video's on there, but it's the one at the winterfest @ firebird raceway in Az. It's got 40,000+ hits. More comments about my car then his which I think po'd him a bit.

Yeah there was more in the car from a drag racing standpoint, but the whole idea was to be able to drive it the 200 miles to the track and back., and it had to have a fairly tight convertor to not overheat the trans on the street/road course. I had 4.10's in it and changed back to the 3.73's for that purpose, along with the somewhat mild solid roller cam, along with the full interior/radio/ect... You can't have an all out drag car and still do the other things well.

With just the 4.10's and a 200 shot and a little more weight out of it, I'm sure it could have broken into the 8's. I was only legal to 9.99 so I'd save the romping till the end of the night with a hairy burnout and hitting the shift rpm's a little different because they would promptly boot me after a 9.8 run. Typically keeping the shift rpm's to right at 6000 it would run 10.0 @ 135+, and beat a bunch of hairy chested, full out drag cars in the process. The last night at the drag track I cut a perfect light while beating by .02 a pretty tricked out mustang, so at least I went out in style. My last venture at the road course I managed a 360 in a tight turn, but was 1/4 mile ahead of the pack so I didn't get t-boned. It needed 9 inch ends on that 12 bolt to stop the axles from leaking fluid onto the tires, and if you got even close to the top with fluid in the th400 it would spit it out the overflow tube until we put a catch can on that. Not pleasant on the street in Phx in the summer, and hell hooking up from a dead stop anyway with anything but full MT slicks, but fun as all get out!

The road course would be the next day at the same place, and I just put the NT01's/ccw wheels on, changed the shock settings up front on the qa1's to full firm, filled the tank with 100 octane and off we'd go.

The car was no Z06 in the corners but handled pretty good for a 35 year old chassis (see the video) and when I would get guys on my ace on a full length course they were waaay dissapointed down the straights.

Only car that blew my doors off was a specially modified viper acr. I had one porsche that was on my tail in the twisties, and I would barely pull him in the straights (short track). I had to go see what he was sporting after the race, and he felt the same. Turns out his was the $450,000 version (according to him). He was surprised how well I hung in the corners and I was surprised how well he hung in the straights. I felt better when he told me what he was running. After that I started using a 50 shot with wot switch just in case (not on the video).

Damn I miss that car! I sold it for $15,000 (wouldn't cover the engine cost now) and that guy sold it for $24,000 with a fresh interior and paint job. He advertised it as having over 500hp, when in reality it was pushing over 700hp na.

One other thing I did with the car was go to the silver state challenge. I didn't run the challenge itself as I don't race on Sunday, but I did the 1/2 mile run, and then for giggles just kept running it clear up to the mile. They'll allow turbo's and sc's, but no N20??? My time would have taken 2nd or 3rd the year before but lots of guys were thinkin the same thing as me and most had sc's. It had a da of 7000 the day I ran that and I was told it would be 70* and the elev was 2500. More like 90* and 5000ft. With the bottle in I think I could have beat the 147 that won it, but who knows. I did get 165 in the mile. It's a fun deal if you get the chance!

Last edited by dbs1; 08-25-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 PM
9 Second Club

With just the 4.10's and a 200 shot and a little more weight out of it, I'm sure it could have broken into the 8's.
If you took off 350 pounds and was making about 900hp (spray or whatever), you may be able to click off an 8.99 pass. But I don't really see it happening with the current set-up. Regardless, cool car.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

According to the calculator-you are right. I'd needed to drop 400 lbs and add another 125 hp. Lexan, fg front clip, gut interior, go on diet, ect...Then...no more street car (it was borderline as was). 10.0 was fast enough (kinda) and still be able to do the other things well.

Quick Reply: 9 sec 67 camaro