Single Digit Club Running 9s or quicker? Damn!

old boring small block, 9.41

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep it in the car with you then you can just toss it out the window
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you're going to sell your car and build a 66-67 nova?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

im thinking, hmm couple grand in this for the chute, and etc, or lets see a chassis kit from v/p for example costs what 2500 and they are on sale now....this car has a history as "that car that was......" so i kinda want to make my own hey thats.. I need to look at some rules for local races to see what i will do, nostalgia classes could be fun but some limit engine choices, meaning that injected twin turbo lsx would be out, so i may need to look at that, i just like the look of those year nova- chevy II what ever you want to call it, i might need to consider aerodynamics though.......they are kind of well a brick. I want to get something diffrent that isnt at every drag race you go to around town. although 3rd gen f-bodys are not too common the body is a handicap, especially with most class rules saying you must keep the floor pan and un altered rails to the rear of the door opening..which sucks on a third gen..so that is part of the reason, i could pick up a 4th gen roller loljust kickin ideas around, plus i got someone supposedly interested in the car...i want to see cash (cash is king!) first
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Some of the fastest cars aren't the most aerodynamic, wasn't the first 3 sec 1/8th mile done in a 60's Camaro? The Ice man Jenkins?

Unless you are building it to compete all out I think you should go with a body style you like the look of most.

66-67 nova's are way cool. So are 4th gens

I bet you just saw how cool my car looks and wanna make one for yourself now huh LOL.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

actually been thinking about a different car for awhile now. I could turbo this engine and then i wouldnt have to worry as much about exhaust clearance lol.
i see alot of 4th gen camaros around, so i would lean to a bird if i went 4th gen f-body. as for the nova....well they are cool no matter what, especially low and fast. id have to find like rusty primer color , so people are like what the .....what a turd, then whoosh whered he go? holy $#!*. hmm woner how much boost i can run on vp16 with 13 to 1 comp........

and uh your car looks pretty drafty right now , and kinda dangerous
Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by car_fixer
actually been thinking about a different car for awhile now. I could turbo this engine and then i wouldnt have to worry as much about exhaust clearance lol.
i see alot of 4th gen camaros around, so i would lean to a bird if i went 4th gen f-body. as for the nova....well they are cool no matter what, especially low and fast. id have to find like rusty primer color , so people are like what the .....what a turd, then whoosh whered he go? holy $#!*. hmm woner how much boost i can run on vp16 with 13 to 1 comp........

and uh your car looks pretty drafty right now , and kinda dangerous
Why don't you turbo the motor you have now and put it in a 4th gen?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

I dont know if i want to go with a 4th gen.....then it would look like yours, then you would say i copied you again lol. hmm a turbo would hit softer. i would need to change the cam though, i dont think a turbo would like a 106 lobe sep. lol
Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

I dont know if i want to go with a 4th gen.....then it would look like yours, then you would say i copied you again lol. hmm a turbo would hit softer. i would need to change the cam though, i dont think a turbo would like a 106 lobe sep. lol
I ran nitrous on my old motor and the first cam I had was 256/263 .638/.638 on a 106 lobe, ultradyne roller.

It still went fast on the nitrous but was no where as good as my 270/284 on a 114 lobe cam.

If you think turbos leave soft you're just not leaving with enough boost.

I was watching kenny duttwiler at bakersfield and I think he was leaving at 19 psi and that thing looked like it was shot out of a cannon.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

softer, not soft, and whats with those puney cams lol
Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

softer, not soft, and whats with those puney cams lol
Why rev the motor to 7,500 like you when you can make 2x the power on pump gas at 6,000 rpm
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

due to an inconvieniant failure of a stock rod i needed to build an engine quick before a race, i was planing a turbo lsx for next year but that got screwed up, plus the damn car trailer got stolen this summer, also reduceing the budget, so im working with what i had, I would still be running that stock crank and rods if that bearing hadnt spun, from a broken oil pump pickup tube ( still went 9.99 with it broken just that oil light was on for a loooooong time when stopping)
Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

due to an inconvieniant failure of a stock rod i needed to build an engine quick before a race, i was planing a turbo lsx for next year but that got screwed up, plus the damn car trailer got stolen this summer, also reduceing the budget, so im working with what i had, I would still be running that stock crank and rods if that bearing hadnt spun, from a broken oil pump pickup tube ( still went 9.99 with it broken just that oil light was on for a loooooong time when stopping)
What is your best N/A motor pass?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM
9 Second Club

10.60's its a bit under carbed and still kind of rich, i also think i can run some more timing in it, i am working on a tow at the track so i can do some plug checks with out driving like a mile back to the pits to dial it in better. I usually only do 1 or two n/a passes, but next time i go to the track i plan on dialing that in better. or might take it to the dyno, they owe me a session, last time i went there they couldnt get their stuff together, and their o2 wasnt working.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

10.60's its a bit under carbed and still kind of rich, i also think i can run some more timing in it, i am working on a tow at the track so i can do some plug checks with out driving like a mile back to the pits to dial it in better. I usually only do 1 or two n/a passes, but next time i go to the track i plan on dialing that in better. or might take it to the dyno, they owe me a session, last time i went there they couldnt get their stuff together, and their o2 wasnt working.
Leave it running rich, why push hurting the motor for .15

As far as the plugs I liked mine to look like a light coffee color, like coffee with milk.

I also am not a big fan of a lot of timing, we went 9.70 in our car with 32* of timing, the motor made 780 hp with 32* If anything we might go up to 36 but that's about tops.

Also I always pulled more timing on the nitrous than I needed.

I ran my car for for 2 1/2 years without a rebuild or a single failure, ran it on the rich side, too much tire, but it was always consistent, always hooked and never hurt a thing, ended up having a head stud leak after all the passes, but after I sold it the guy tore the motor down, and everything looked great, just re ringed and bearings and was at the races.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Posted new photos in the mini tubing post, my car looks so beat down with no floor or tubs in it Next week I'll have the tubs and floor in so I'll be
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Got my tubs late this afternoon, finished bending and putting the center trunk floor in, got some nice hot spark burns on the hand for free

Pulled an addition 38 pounds out of the car, with only putting about 16 pounds back in it with just a few pieces of metal and the aluminum tubs t go back in.

Took out 112 pounds out of the car so I am still 90 something pounds lighter with about 10 or less pounds going back in
Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 PM
9 Second Club

that weight split is looking worse and worse. but that thing is gonna look cool as hell with those big meats under it, just make shure the boss says its ok to order the tires lol. I think i need to go find a sponsor or three lol i was drooling over the pro mod 67 nova/chevy II body today damn fine lookin automobile there.
just need a couple hundred grand...and a competition license lol I would need to put dual funny car cages in it, then go to an outlaw track that lets passengers ride....that would be cool, hey you think your junk is fast , sit down. ah that would be a riot.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

that weight split is looking worse and worse. but that thing is gonna look cool as hell with those big meats under it, just make shure the boss says its ok to order the tires lol. I think i need to go find a sponsor or three lol i was drooling over the pro mod 67 nova/chevy II body today damn fine lookin automobile there.
just need a couple hundred grand...and a competition license lol I would need to put dual funny car cages in it, then go to an outlaw track that lets passengers ride....that would be cool, hey you think your junk is fast , sit down. ah that would be a riot.
Have you seen promods 67 nova? it's for sale it is a really nice street strip car, I saw a post today.

As far as the distribution, I can pull 100 pounds of the front of the car easy, I already took out the heater and a/c, front sway bar, moved the battery, ditched the factory coolant over flow, front bumper, power steering, I am sure the front to back is pretty good. I still have the seats and dash stuff, I have to tear it down a bit and start taking out more stuff, after the tubs I will pull out the door bars and go through the weight reduction sticky, I am sure I can find a lot of stuff, plus once I do my cage and subframes I am going to pull a lot of metal out of the car and replace it with aluminum.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Christmas is gone so it's time to wrench on the car, where are the updates?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

I am still waiting for the magic part lol, the forged -10 45 to oring fitting, then i can start on the fuel system changes, then i might pull the rear and put the back brace and stuff on, possibly change to a 3.90 gear also. I made up the air bleed lines, tapped the one 90 deg. fitting, now just waiting for that one fitting. I havent felt like welding more bungs in the tank yet, but need to, also need to order the lower arms and toe adjusters. I have been working on the list of cars that need to be beat though lol.

Quick Reply: old boring small block, 9.41