Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Can you tell me the cause of this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell me the cause of this?

some ppl told me its because of the missfiring and the others told me the water leaked into the chamber and caused this just look at the pictures and tell me what problem do you see

I believe it was a missfiring because my car had a terrible distributor but let me know what do you think
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone help please !
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

First off, why did you take the engine apart? was it using coolant or what?

a lot of times a miss will wash the cylinder out if ran long enough; the unburned gas will clean it out. But, a spark related problem can cause deposits on the plugs/cylinders too.

And yes, burning a small amount of coolant can create white deposits. The plugs should have similar white deposits on them. Other indicators would be that you use a small amount of coolant over time. btw, is this thing off of a salt water cooled marine engine or something? those heads have some corrosion issues developing.

I find it hard to believe that you have crack in every cylinder, allowing water to be burned. I'm not saying that its impossible, just illogical. take a look at the plugs, tops of the pistons, and let us know if it was showing any of the normal signs of a cooling issue (using coolant, burning coolant, overheating, etc.)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I toke the heads apart because Im changing the top end and the pistons has carbon on them nothing more and only spark number 1 is showing white deposits the others has carbon on them and the salts in the water jackets because of a regular water the garage used I will clean the water jacket in the block and one more thing is that when the garage had the engine they tried to open the heads but they only could open few bolts and they couldnt open the others so Im assuming that the head wasnt fully tightened thats why the water leaked into the chamber
Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

well at the minimum you should send the heads to a reputable machine shop and have them inspected for cracks and surface flatness.

edit: and remember to put thread sealer on the threads of the head bolts before you torque them down.

Last edited by jg04222; 05-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I will put thread sealer I know about that Im just curious about whats wrong with the heads I have a question can I clean the pistons while they are in the block? the top pistons need to be cleaned from carbon thats all
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Besides half the damn water passages plugged up with crap and it running way rich what else would you like to know?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it was very rich because the distributor had weak spark and the carb was tuned by a pro. and he told me that there is a missfiring and everytime I floor it it back fires and sometimes it dont and it throws fuel from the exhaust I dont care about those heads that I toke off soon I will put the Track 1's and have more fun btw ED can I clean the pistons while they are in the block? or should I remove each one and clean it from carbon
Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

I use a razor blade but i dont know how bad your pistons are. MAke sure the block etc are clean of all that crap in your cooling system
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the pistons are in very good condition only carbon on top of them thank God I will clean the pistons later and change the crankcase gasket thnx for your help ED
Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F-Body Lover
it was very rich because the distributor had weak spark and the carb was tuned by a pro. and he told me that there is a missfiring and everytime I floor it it back fires and sometimes it dont and it throws fuel from the exhaust I dont care about those heads that I toke off soon I will put the Track 1's and have more fun btw ED can I clean the pistons while they are in the block? or should I remove each one and clean it from carbon
what kind of heads are the old ones? If you dont care about them you can send them to my house..................I will keep them out of your way!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedy55
what kind of heads are the old ones? If you dont care about them you can send them to my house..................I will keep them out of your way!
they were Edelbrock E-tec 200 and they are long gone I gave them to a friend of mine

Quick Reply: Can you tell me the cause of this?