Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

89 trans am...how would u build it???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 trans am...how would u build it???

Ok, I had a friend approach me today and told me that he is doing a build for his buddy here is what the guy wants...streetable car, 400 rwhp, and able to drift the car...budget is $10k-$15...we talked about this for a couple of hours on many different ways to get the car to this point...one thing that is limited is he wants to stay automatic but doesn't matter which one it is...like I said we talked about a couple different options but I am curious as to how you guys would do it...remember also that it will need some suspension mods as well so you cant tie all the money in the driveline...the car itself is a 89 trans am with a strong running 305 in it...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Sell the 305", and build a 350-400, and stick with an overdrive.
400 HP is a snap, and if he doesn't swap engine style, it will save a ton of dough.

I have no idea what the ballet suspension crap costs,
but a 400 HP engine will definitely not eat up all the money.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, here is a solid setup i have in my wifes 86 TA, 355, vortec heads unported with modded pockets for the higher lift, edelbrock intake, holley 750 vac sec carb, headman shortys and Y pipe with a 1 chamber flow dumped at the axle, trans is a built 700R4 with drilled separation plate and vette servo with a 2800 stall, 3.23 10 bolt with limited slip, cam is a mid range and the cars moves it *** off for a girls ride, she loves it and it impresses all of my buddies that i have taken for a ride.

Motor is about 400 HP, maybe a bit more but a bigger intake and full lengths can get it to 425 at the flywheel.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

drifting with an automatic? Lot harder to control the output to the wheels through a torque converter. I think he might need to reassess his goal or his plan of keeping the automatic
Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It is not as hard as you think, the shifting s a plus as no clutch engagement or disengagement makes it easier for going faster and slowing. The one BIG downside is my beloved third gen is NOT the desired ride for its lack of ability to have the tires turn as far as you want to get the really great high speed drifts that so many are after, that is the one thing that holds these cars back from being a great drift platform.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
It is not as hard as you think, the shifting s a plus as no clutch engagement or disengagement makes it easier for going faster and slowing. The one BIG downside is my beloved third gen is NOT the desired ride for its lack of ability to have the tires turn as far as you want to get the really great high speed drifts that so many are after, that is the one thing that holds these cars back from being a great drift platform.
Ive drifted quite a bit and i find in an automatic while yes its possible, its like doing archery blind folded. While in a good drift you really steer with the throttle and ......well, before i go on a rant ill just respect that its your friends choice, its not what i would do but that doesn't matter i guess.

400hp? LTX or LSX swap intake exhaust cam tune. Suspension? simple coil overs, pan hard, GOOD shocks. Most drifters weld there diffs, but if hes keeping in a street car thats out. For $10k-$15k i could buy a 3rd OR 4th gen and build an awesome drift car, he shouldnt have any trouble doing it, you should make a build thread.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Ive drifted quite a bit and i find in an automatic while yes its possible, its like doing archery blind folded. While in a good drift you really steer with the throttle and ......well, before i go on a rant ill just respect that its your friends choice, its not what i would do but that doesn't matter i guess.

400hp? LTX or LSX swap intake exhaust cam tune. Suspension? simple coil overs, pan hard, GOOD shocks. Most drifters weld there diffs, but if hes keeping in a street car thats out. For $10k-$15k i could buy a 3rd OR 4th gen and build an awesome drift car, he shouldnt have any trouble doing it, you should make a build thread.
yeah trust me I know about the whole automatic thing as that upsets us a little but he already has the car given to him and these were his wishes so I thank you for realizing it is him and not me...

We have talked about a ls motor swap with a 4l80 among other options...we also talked about stall speed and staying in the power band so it doesn't spin the car out that way...I personally was thinking a ls1 with a small cam and some bolt on's to reach the hp level and tuning the 4l80 so he can manually shift gears and keep them there with something around a 3500 stall speed...maybe a 9 inch posi in the rearend and off course suspension mods out the ying yang...

But I was just seeing if it might be better/cheaper going another route...just really looking for others input to look at other options that we might not have thought or known about...

Thanks to everybody for chiming in!!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would never pass up a clean 3rd gen like zones. am always looking for one.
im biased to an ls motor so i would go with that. a stock short block 6.0 lq4 with l92 or 243 heads with even generic cams will make over 400hp and with stock exhaust manifolds.
hell, u can even get 400+ with stock ls6 cam and 243 or even 317 heads in a 6.0 with cast iron manifolds or shorties
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'm building up a thirdgen that can handle well and have power so similar to a 400hp drifter. Guessing but I got about 5000 in suspension/steering/brakes alone and I don't have fancy stuff like Koni Red struts, watts link, or weight jacks. I plan on re-building a LT1 to 400rwhp and plan on spending $4000-6000 on that and that's not including headers/exhaust. Haven't mentioned the cost of tranny/rear yet. 10 bolts suck. I don't see $10K being enough. $15K maybe.

Get over to thirdgen.org/techboard.

Last edited by Firebat; 04-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 89 trans am...how would u build it???