Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

BBC head bolts sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BBC head bolts sealant?

is it so critical to put sealant on the threads?
I didn't use any. Just arb lube as I thought sealant won't work with lubricants

I have fel-pro performance gasket..
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

I use either antiseize sealant or teflon .You should seal the bolts or you will have coolant in the oil.You may get lucky and not have a problem though.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Some people say bolts don't leak, Only studs will.
I'm thinking of putting gm stop leak..
Old 12-08-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muayyadf1
Some people say bolts don't leak, Only studs will.
I'm thinking of putting gm stop leak..
No this is not true. If the bolt hole does not bottom out and goes into a water passage it has a chance of leaking.

Now you know that most bolts have threads that are not pointed but instead the edge is broken a bit to be flat. This helps reduce burrs and nicks to the edge of thread so that you don't tear up the thread. However water can spiral all the way up around the edges of the thread and come leaking by the bolt head.

I always try to use some thread sealant on the bottom of the head bolts. It is your engine, you can use whatever you want.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks,
I will let you know how it works with me
Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

id rather be safe then sorry.... the thick yellow teflon tape has always treated me and people i know well. its just a B$&*H to put them in without it spinning instead of going in.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Permatex #2. Or if you can find it, I really really like their "Super 300".
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pullincrazy88
the thick yellow teflon tape has always treated me and people i know well.
are you referring to the yellow teflon tape for natural gas and propane pipe thread fittings? you use this on head bolts and don't have a problem torquing them?

the big thing with cylinder head bolts or studs is to get even torque on every fastener. That ensures an even clamp on the head and reduces the chance of having a head gasket problem. Problem with using certain thread sealants is it can prevent you from getting consistent torques. Permatex super 300, and #2 are gasket sealants not thread sealants. While it's good stuff and can work as thread sealant under many conditions, it's not the ideal choice for fasteners like head bolts that get torqued to 60+ lb-ft.

permatex has what's called "high performance thread sealant" #56521 which is what you'd want to use. Other than that, any other thread sealant or thread compound or pipe joint compound would probably work fine. To be sure you could always do a test on afastener with normal lube or oil by torquing and marking the angle of the bolt head, then clean the threads and try it with a certain sealant and see how close you come. If you're within 45 degrees you're probably good, greater than that then i would alter the torque value and use whatever torque gets you to the same position.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ad_Sealant.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._compounds.htm
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It's foolish and an old wives tale to think head studs leak and head bolts do not leak. GM stop leak will slowly clog up your radiator and heater core.

You'll want a sealant that's impervious to high temperature, lubricants, fuels and coolants and sticky enough to not wash away like Teflon or moly based thread lubricants. Teflon tape may work but it's not normally used in this application-leave it to home plumbing

This is the best stuff to seal threaded head fasteners that are exposed to heat and liquids-keep a bottle on the shelf:
Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

It is indeed true some bolts will leak, its better to seal them and not have to worry about it later.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

As mentioned, if the bolts go into water jackets use some sort of sealant. Permatex liquid teflon is what I use now. I have used everything from RTV to 3M yellow adhesive.

If you are using ARP bolts put the moly lube or oil(which ever you are using) under the bolt head and washer.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Careful. I've seen Teflon-based thread "sealants" leak on several occasions.

You don't want something that's really a lubricant sealing those threads, it can wash away.

Go with some really sticky gasket goop.

Quick Reply: BBC head bolts sealant?