Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

scored a big block for my 63 nova

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scored a big block for my 63 nova

i scored a .60 over 454 guy didn't no what he had he said it had eagle rods on the phone they wernt there dimple gm rods witch in my opnion are far superior then eagle. the crank i believe is a steel forged crank looks like it has been polished up i cant tell if its forged for sure forge mark has been ground smooth there are some casting numbers on it so hopefully i can look it up. the pistons are dome pistons not sure if forged don't no how you would tell anyway my guess if crank and rods good so are pistons. i also got a new damper and flex plate its all assembled scored it for 1250 not bad i don't think. i do have a set of oval port heads that need totally redone valves ect would it be worth it to redo the heads or buy diffrent heads?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

As much as people hate them, the newer casting pro-comps are great little hidden gems. Look up Skip White on ebay if you do buy a set and only get a set from him. They are unfortunately a chinese product, but I would trust the product after its been gone over by this guys shop. The best part is I think you can even clean the valve guides up even more once you get them

Sell the oval ports to fund for 'em. They are the cheapest aluminum head out there for the BBC that flow what they do, and several people have flowed them independently with numbers that near if not match what they are "advertised" to flow. So imagine if you can clean them up a little more.

Very nice find by the way, makes me jealous.. and I even got my bare gen V block (All machine work done, .060 over etc) for 450.

Pics of the Nova? Love some Nova.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Teching In

What castings are the oval ports?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could end up with a lot of money in the heads, depending on what they need, i would look for a set of used ones ready to go or spends 1000 Plus on some after market ones. you can tell if the pistions are forged by looking at the bottom side, if they are smooth they will be forged,if you can take some pics i could tell easy. you can give the crank a tap with a hammer if if pings, its forged, it will kind of pingggggggggggg lol.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Stopped at my local engine builder crank is a cast eagle unit and the pistons are hyper blabla how ever you say that word don't no what ill do now sell that **** and get forged or just run it.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Not familiar with that casting. I know that those pistons are junk unless your going to stay na.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

When dealing with BBC's that cast stuff is not as bad as a cast sbc or LT1 cranks. Cast GM bbc cranks are f'in tough as nails and you will see tons of budget truck pull motors running many seasons on them.

Have the crank and block magnafluxed (spelling on that?) and setup your piston/deck height with heads your planning on and go crush some ego's.

Quick Reply: scored a big block for my 63 nova