Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

NPD likes to charge more than they list

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NPD likes to charge more than they list

Well I bought a new grill emblem for my 70 Chevelle SS as the original owner took it off for some reason. Well I ordered one from National Parts Depot and on their website they list it for $24.99 and in there catalog they even mailed to me it was $24.99 but they charged me $44.20 for it. I call them up and say the price is wrong and basically they told me there catalog and website are always wrong with the prices and thats what they sell them for. The whole reason I bought it from NPD instead of Original Parts Group because they were cheaper including shipping. NPD even lists that they have "Great low prices" on their website. Just make sure if you go to order something from NPD you make sure you double check what the price is as when I ordered I failed to notice how much it was until I recieved the invoice for it.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

man go through classic industries or year one
Old 01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Phil....

can't you return it? that's about the dumbest thing i've ever heard a shop say! thanks for the warning, but how stupid. you should have them refund the full amount and pay for return shipping. if you're persistent about it and especially if you have the persons name who told you that, you should be able to make them take it back. i'd rather do that and spend a few dollars extra if need be to go through their competition.

later,
Dave
Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
hey Phil....

can't you return it? that's about the dumbest thing i've ever heard a shop say! thanks for the warning, but how stupid. you should have them refund the full amount and pay for return shipping. if you're persistent about it and especially if you have the persons name who told you that, you should be able to make them take it back. i'd rather do that and spend a few dollars extra if need be to go through their competition.

later,
Dave
They have a 20% restocking fee so no point in returning it. Im just not gonna buy from them anything else.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

tell them they're not restocking, they're saving face! tell them you want a full refund or you'll get all your parts elsewhere and that's the last thing you'll ever get "ripped off on"! there's a difference, and they should do it if they're reputable aside from "accidental" false advertising. just trying to help. if they have a toll free #, just give them a call and go throught the chain of command. if the first flunky says that's not they're policy, or some bs like it, ask for a supervisor. it's worth it, believe me cause i've been there.

Dave
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

I always had great service from classic industries
Old 01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maddboost
Well I bought a new grill emblem for my 70 Chevelle SS as the original owner took it off for some reason. Well I ordered one from National Parts Depot and on their website they list it for $24.99 and in there catalog they even mailed to me it was $24.99 but they charged me $44.20 for it. I call them up and say the price is wrong and basically they told me there catalog and website are always wrong with the prices and thats what they sell them for. The whole reason I bought it from NPD instead of Original Parts Group because they were cheaper including shipping. NPD even lists that they have "Great low prices" on their website. Just make sure if you go to order something from NPD you make sure you double check what the price is as when I ordered I failed to notice how much it was until I recieved the invoice for it.
Just make sure them asshats know that your telling everyone on the internet that they rip people off. Bad news travels fast on the internet
Old 01-11-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Thats shitty man!!!! I really dunno what I'de do....... maybe go ape-**** crazy and hurt some1?? I dunno!

Josh S.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Honestly I dont have the time to call them and bitch about it, its easier to just never buy anything again from them.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM
7 Second Club

Phil,

Sorry about the problem on pricing. I'd like to try and explain if I can:

NPD's 2004 catalog (which was printed March 2004) had the current pricing at that time. We usually print 80,000-100,000 catalogs per model per year, so pricing is always subject to change. That's why you'll find a disclaimer in just about every company's catalog about pricing being current at the time of printing, and they are subject to change without notice. We can't afford to print a new catalog every time pricing changes, as dealing with 700 companies we get parts from can never seem to get pricing updates done at the same time. Trust me, it is frustrating printing a catalog and then having a company change pricing in the middle of the year (ask me how I know). GM is the worst about this, as they can have 4-6 pricing changes a year, and some can be moderate, while some can be HUGE (example: a 1969-72 Chevelle outside RH rectangular mirror was listed in our 2003 catalog at $86 dollars, then in October 2003 they go and change suggested retail to $175.69!!) We go with GM's suggested retail on all the GM-manufactured (read: parts still available directly from GM, not a reproduction) parts we sell. This way, we're not making a "premium" on parts compared to if someone can get them at a local GM dealership.

If you'd like, I can issue you a full refund including shipping (no restocking fee or such) if you'd prefer to purchase elsewhere. Keep in mind the emblem listed in OPG's 2004 catalog at $21.95 is a reproduction, and the one you received from NPD is an original GM part.

I apologize, but our website is not updated until all 2005 catalog are printed. We also have yet to start doing online ordering that most other companies have. My boss has always thought the internet was not as personal as being able to reach someone by phone 24-7 to answer questions or help you place an order. This way you can know exactly what your getting and unlike other companies, we give you a total including shipping when you order (again, ask me how I know). I'm not sure how you didn't get the total cost, or even the price of the emblem when you ordered, and I apologize for that.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion. If you have further questions or problems, please call me at 800-976-1117 ext 4207 or e-mail at derek@npdlink.com

Derek

Last edited by Villain281H; 01-18-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Well thank you for your response. The grill emblem is already on so its silly to return it but thank you for the offer. I guess I was more upset at the way the guy on the phone had a "so what" attitude. Just kinda bothered me.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:58 AM
7 Second Club

Phil,

Sorry my response wasn't sooner, but I've been buried with catalog work (imagine that) If you are contemplating anything else for your Chevelle, let me know and I'll try to get you a discount to make up for the troubles.

Derek

Quick Reply: NPD likes to charge more than they list