Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Bought me a new toy

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought me a new toy

It's a 377 small block chevy that's going in my 69 camaro.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I've been told about the motor, it has 10.5-1 compression, the dart intake with a dominator flange . Don't know the exact specs on the cam but the guy I bought it from said he put 1.6 rockers on it and that it lifts somewhere around the .705" range . He pulled it out of his chevelle which ran 11.80s at 3700 pounds. My camaro should weigh in at around 3100 or maybe less.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Teching In

That thing is going to want alot of stall and alot of gear! I hope it has much better compression than that with those cam specs, It'll be a dog without 11.5:1 ++ Do you plan on pulling the heads and checking her out?
Cool toy
Old 03-07-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not much of a mechanic and knowing that the motor is proven, I don't plan to tear it apart. The guy we got it from sold us the converter that the motor ran good with. I believe he said its a 3500-4000 stall converter. As for the gear, don't have a rearend yet so we'll see when we get there but I do plan putting a lot of gear in it.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you trust the guy you bought it from if you're not going to tear it down and check things out.....or have someone that IS a mechanic check it out for you.

What heads are on it?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We know the guy we got it from and he doesn't skimp out on the parts for his motors. He made us wait a couple of weeks just so he could get it started that way we knew it ran and all of that stuff. The guy that will most likely tune the motor for me is a friend of ours which knows the guy that sold us the motor. Everybody knows everybody where i'm from A bunch of my dads friends knows the guy also and told us that it's a hell of a motor and that it's a good deal and stuff.

As far as the heads, brand is unknown. There aren't any markings on the outside that show what brand it is but one guy that knows the motor really good said they have over 5 grand of headwork into them. As far as that, I'm not really sure
Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
7 Second Club

Hope you got a good deal on it.

IMHO, 5 grand in the heads and a 700 lift came should be running much faster than 11.80s unless the car was not geared (rear end & convertor) or set-up right in the suspension department. That cam sounds WAY too big for 10.5:1 compression, and as mentioned above you'll likely need a 9" convertor with a good 4000+ stall speed and a 4.10 or higher gear to get that motor in the powerband it will be happy with.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, just that I've seen small blocks do much better E.T.s with less carb, cam, and money in parts.

Good luck with her!

Derek
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69chevy
We know the guy we got it from and he doesn't skimp out on the parts for his motors. He made us wait a couple of weeks just so he could get it started that way we knew it ran and all of that stuff. The guy that will most likely tune the motor for me is a friend of ours which knows the guy that sold us the motor. Everybody knows everybody where i'm from A bunch of my dads friends knows the guy also and told us that it's a hell of a motor and that it's a good deal and stuff.

As far as the heads, brand is unknown. There aren't any markings on the outside that show what brand it is but one guy that knows the motor really good said they have over 5 grand of headwork into them. As far as that, I'm not really sure

i'm sorry, but i'm gonna have to call on this one. i don't think i've ever done that in the 2 1/2 years i've been here, but that just does NOT sound logical! please don't take the following as an insult, but rather a warning/helpful oppinions.......

you say "the guy doesn't skimp", but the heads are unkown which usually means they're brand "No-name". and he claims to have put $5000 into them in port work??? i hope you don't believe that. i've gotten a quote from Sonny Lenard of www.sonnysracing.com, (perhaps you've heard of him), to fully port my 18* Dart high port heads for $3000 complete! and if that motor only ran 11.80's, you'd better pull that overgrown cam out and put in something much more useful for your intended purposes, no matter what they are. i don't think that guy told/sold you anything but a lie, weather you know him or not! and that's got to be a fact from what you've said so far. that combo just doesn't make sence. and it's a 377? i've only heard of one other 377, and it was a 400sbc destroked to a 377 and used for dirt/oval/road racing. and do NOT put a dominator on that little motor after you put in a Better cam because you'll drown it. the bottom line from what i see/read here, is that the guy SKIMPED! did you see the throttle return spring bracket? i guess you could say it's custom...lol quietly....but by no means am i basing my assumptions on that. i would definately take 1fastWS6's advise, take it to a mechanic before you do Anything. and again, the purpose of this was not to upset you, but get you to take a better look at this thing. if it had all that guy said it did, it would have had to run a minimum 10.80 in a 3700lb car, not 11.80's! my last car had an ls1 (apples to oranges, i know) 348 cubes, stock heads, 224*/224* .581/.581 114lsa baby cam, 10.1:1cr, 4l60e trans, 3.73 gears, TCI converter (stalled at about 2600rpm) and an ACTUAL 3800lb race weight with me in it on the scale at the strip, (a 2000 SS convertible)and went 11.92 @ 114 mph! so that bigger 377, with such highly ported heads, a bit more compression, much more race oriented converter, and probably trans/rear/suspension, and a Pro Stock cam, should have run a minimum of said 10.80, MINIMUM! btw, sorry for so many caps and exclamation points, but i'm trying to get a point across. i think someone got over on you and you need to do something about it faster than that motor can turn a 1/4 mile! feel free to fire away if you need to.

Dave

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 03-07-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
i'm sorry, but i'm gonna have to call on this one. i don't think i've ever done that in the 2 1/2 years i've been here, but that just does NOT sound logical! please don't take the following as an insult, but rather a warning/helpful oppinions.......

you say "the guy doesn't skimp", but the heads are unkown which usually means they're brand "No-name". and he claims to have put $5000 into them in port work??? i hope you don't believe that. i've gotten a quote from Sonny Lenard of www.sonnysracing.com, (perhaps you've heard of him), to fully port my 18* Dart high port heads for $3000 complete! and if that motor only ran 11.80's, you'd better pull that overgrown cam out and put in something much more useful for your intended purposes, no matter what they are. i don't think that guy told/sold you anything but a lie, weather you know him or not! and that's got to be a fact from what you've said so far. that combo just doesn't make sence. and it's a 377? i've only heard of one other 377, and it was a 400sbc destroked to a 377 and used for dirt/oval/road racing. and do NOT put a dominator on that little motor after you put in a Better cam because you'll drown it. the bottom line from what i see/read here, is that the guy SKIMPED! did you see the throttle return spring bracket? i guess you could say it's custom...lol quietly....but by no means am i basing my assumptions on that. i would definately take 1fastWS6's advise, take it to a mechanic before you do Anything. and again, the purpose of this was not to upset you, but get you to take a better look at this thing. if it had all that guy said it did, it would have had to run a minimum 10.80 in a 3700lb car, not 11.80's! my last car had an ls1 (apples to oranges, i know) 348 cubes, stock heads, 224*/224* .581/.581 114lsa baby cam, 10.1:1cr, 4l60e trans, 3.73 gears, TCI converter (stalled at about 2600rpm) and an ACTUAL 3800lb race weight with me in it on the scale at the strip, (a 2000 SS convertible)and went 11.92 @ 114 mph! so that bigger 377, with such highly ported heads, a bit more compression, much more race oriented converter, and probably trans/rear/suspension, and a Pro Stock cam, should have run a minimum of said 10.80, MINIMUM! btw, sorry for so many caps and exclamation points, but i'm trying to get a point across. i think someone got over on you and you need to do something about it faster than that motor can turn a 1/4 mile! feel free to fire away if you need to.

Dave
Nothing taken personal Pray Hrd but I do see what you guys say. Villain, as for the gears, they did tell me that the chevelle it was in could've ran faster if it did have the right gears so you are right on the gear department. And yes I did get a pretty good deal on it .

Quick Reply: Bought me a new toy