Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

383 Stroker anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 Stroker anyone?

New to the forums..., so pardon my newbness. Thinking of building a 383 stroker for my 86 Iroc. Have a long way to go.., got a guy at work that said he has a 350 block to sell me. After that the journey begins. But I need advice to squeeze the most power out of this thing..., and at the same time do a budget build. (3 kids and a wife and Im military) I know its gonna take time..., but I want to do it right. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks...
Old 03-20-2006, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the car a carb car or TPI car? If it's TPI are you going to stay FI. I sold my 86 last summer. I built a FI 383 for it some years back. Mild though, I went the budget route and didn't get quite the results I wanted. Ran good but not very fast. High 12's at best. Tons of torque though. Let me know what your plans are I will see if I can help you avoid some pitfalls. See my old 86 in the link in my sig.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Teching In

http://www.geocities.com/creid624/Camaro.jpg

Here is a pic of my car. As you can see I have some work cut out for me. Mine is also an 86 w/ 305. My intentions are to build the motor up and still be able to drive it as I piece it together. Dont think its worth all the trouble to stay FI and try to find a 350 TPI to completely rebuild. The thought has crossed my mind to throw a BBC in there. But that throws the budget build out the window. It seems like the 383 is a good, strong motor with lots of low end torque and can be done at a reasonable price. Just dont want to regret not going for more displacement and losing out on HP. So basically..., Im still undecided. Tell me what you think about a 454 in there..., and how difficult it would be to make it work. Thanks for your feedback.

(That was a nice ride btw. Hopefully mine will look that nice one day)
Old 03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Teching In

.....If I were you I'd build what I want to start with. If you really want a big block, well then DO IT! I say this because I've been in this position, not sure whether to go big or small. Wanted to go big but didn't, went with the small block and regreated it later. "Buy once, cry once!".... Just my opinion though bill
Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget swapping to a big block adds cost in the form of parts that you can use with the small block set-up already in/with the car.
I went the 383 route 3 years ago and haven't cried

Derek
Old 03-22-2006, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Yea...., the only problem with using parts from my engine is that I plan on building up the 383 while still driving my car. I know that a 383 build up would be less expensive than a BB. Just dont want to regret not going for more. Its tempting to go 383 because I can get a block for practically nothing..., and the machining shouldnt cost but a couple hundred...(right?). Anyone suggest a certain rotating assy package..., or should I buy the parts seperatly and go high end. Was looking at Eagle rotating assemblies.., but was told that that might not be the best idea. The more I have to pay..., the longer I'm gonna have to wait to get everything together. So I want to go budget build..., without sacrificing power.
Any advice for a walk through build up would be most appreciated.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Teching In

....revission to my previous post. Yeah, don't get involved in a big block project that'll take years to complete...
keep driving your car while you build something.... right before your new engine is ready to put in, put nitrous on your existing motor & have some fun .....

.....some build up ideas @ http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html

.....and build it with quality parts so that down the road when you STILL want more power you can add a blower or nitrous..... keep the compression low enough so you can add a blower later.... hope this helps ya..... bill

Last edited by billsbird; 03-22-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

I have a 383 in my Tubbed S10, and it's absolutely sick. You will not regret it. Mine has aluminum heads, longtubes, etc... and its almost too much for the street. Just build it up right, good heads, etc... and you will be more than happy.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Teching In

I have a 383ci motor going in my 96 TA...I would suggest going standered small block chevy...my motor is based on a 4-bolt main block, SCAT 4340 Crank, Mahle 6' Rods, Mahle 11.7:1 forged pistons, RHS 225cc Heads, HUGE solid roller, Holley Intake, Demon 850cfm carb, and a NOS cross bar plate....made 638fwhp on the engine dyno....its backed by a th400, ford 9in and a race weight of hopefully 3300lbs.....ought to go deep in the 9.10 range on a 300hp worth of gas......all that and I have less than $9000 in the motor....plus the $600 nitrous kit....Deff the way to go....
Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by billsbird
....revission to my previous post. Yeah, don't get involved in a big block project that'll take years to complete...
keep driving your car while you build something.... right before your new engine is ready to put in, put nitrous on your existing motor & have some fun .....

.....some build up ideas @ http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html

.....and build it with quality parts so that down the road when you STILL want more power you can add a blower or nitrous..... keep the compression low enough so you can add a blower later.... hope this helps ya..... bill

Good info on the site. Real informative with different combos. I Like combo #17. Wonder how much a set up like that might cost me. Anyways..., thx for the feedback guys. Im convinced..., when I come back from deployment..., Im gonna buy that 350 block and get started.

Edited---> Oh btw..., what do you guys think is gonna happen to my 700R4 when I put this bad boy in there. I intend to upgrade to a high end torque converter (not sure which stall though)... but do you think this trans will hold up. It was just recently rebuilt with a shift kit. Let me know what you guys think...
Thanks,
Charles

Last edited by CAR624; 03-22-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAR624
Oh btw..., what do you guys think is gonna happen to my 700R4 when I put this bad boy in there. I intend to upgrade to a high end torque converter (not sure which stall though)... but do you think this trans will hold up. It was just recently rebuilt with a shift kit. Let me know what you guys think...
Thanks,Charles
....I had an '84 Camaro with a 400 small block, 438 HP @ 5250 {cam was too small}, 499 Tq. @ 4000, car weighted under 2800 pounds, an a professionaly built 700R4 with a 2400 stall converter. I blew the trans up, so I wouldn't use a 700R4 again. But if you already have the trans might as well use it. Just keep in mind that it'll be a weak link {built I believe there good for 450 HP}. What rear end are you using???... In fact, I had the stock rear in this car {with 4:56 Posi} & the trans blew before the rear end..... I'm now having a '32 Ford built for me, using a 502/502 crate motor with a Ford 9" rear end & a Turbo 400, full manual valve body. OVERKILL on the trans/rear end. But, I've learned from experience to go 'over kill' on my drive train parts cuz it's never enough HP & sooner or later I'll have a motor that'll blow the trans &/or rear end.... bill
Old 03-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=CAR624] I Like combo #17. Wonder how much a set up like that might cost me.

LOL, he,he,he..... Yeah, the "easily low 10's in a Camaro" sort a does 'catch' a persons eye, huh??? And that's WITHOUT the nitrous ...... I had AFR 195 heads {2.05 intakes, 1.625 exhaust, 76 cc's} on my 400 & they were something like $1440 or $1480 years ago {this included 40 or was it 80 extra bucks to drill steam holes that 400's need}. Good heads, and remember the best place to put your money is in the heads..... Without good heads your not going to make good power...... Roller cam set up is probably around a grand or close to it..... headers are $425 or so for Hooker Long Tubes, 1 3/4 primaries. In fact I saw my rusty ones out in the garage just the other day .... I should take better care of things when I'm done with them....}.... Carb is $400 to $500, ignition $300..... enjoy your build-up.... bill
Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

hey charles,
i don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but i'm selling a fully built vortech supercharged 383 that was in a 1991 z28 for only a very short time. i have no use for the motor and trans (700r4) since i sold the car as a roller. i'm willing to sell the motor minus the supercharger. the motor has engine dyno time only with less than 100 street miles.

if you are interested in the engine i can send you some pics and discuss a very reasonable price. i know i could save you some money. this engine has all the good stuff and made 730hp & 700lb. ft. trq.

thanks for your time,
dan

email dan_barrie@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: 383 Stroker anyone?