Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

305 build up

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
i was thinking 600-650...750 i would think would be too much for the 305. trickflows small bore heads, everything else i agree with. like ive said, get more compression get more power. the 305 is capable of power its jus the stock compression blows.
I only reason I went 750 was because I knew spraying the 305 with nitrous, it wouldnt last forever and knew I would be upgrading to a 350. Down low suffers a little but if you go with 4.10s it helps compensate.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Launching!

I too have a 305, but i have a 91 Z28 with TPI, so the whole carb scene im not too familular with. I have full exhaust and ram air on it and it runs great for a stock motor with 147k miles. But if you did go higher compression i would get a 180 thermostat and some electric fans and wire them to a switch, and work on getting rid of accesories, i bet thats a lot of horses just going down the drain right there!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

thats alot of good info

im not so much looking for the 425hp monster as just something thats gonna kill ricers and pre 05 mustangs

Originally Posted by nate81camaro
if you want some good fire power for cheap, check this out - If you want, I can give you an ebay (power)seller's username. I bought a billet distributor w/ a 50k volt coil, bronze terminals (the seller, who really a parts store claims it's a 65k volt coil) for under 90$ shipped (and it's all brand new!!!)
yeah id like to see a good power sellers name for ebay thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by captaincamaro

here ya go buddy! - and it's even cheaper than I told ya!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBC-C...QQcmdZViewItem

seems to be good quality....so far it's performing just fine on my 355...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by captaincamaro
thats alot of good info

im not so much looking for the 425hp monster as just something thats gonna kill ricers and pre 05 mustangs

For what your looking for (something to beat stupid looking ricers) a 305 can be just the ticket. I have one in a 82 Z/28 that I have a lot of fun racing around with, I believe I described the modifications in another post of this thread.

Along with the 305 camaro - I have a firehawk and a corvette -

Here is the point I am trying to make- yes the 305 is slower than the firehawk or corvette, however I have the most fun blasting it up and down the street racing ricers. Sometimes the most fun can be had with something that isn't the sate of the art LS engine - but rather with a mild 305.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

I don't think carb is the answer but most like it. I am a TPI guy..I have a mild build up that actually runs strong. I am currently in the process of adding either the ASM runners and TPIs Big Mouth intake or just getting the FirstInjections set up. I have already bought my 3.42's(TPI like 3.42 better than 3.73's unless more heavily modded)and I am waiting to go get dyno tuned. I have already gotten decent times on street tires and 2.73 gears. 13.6's are not bad for a mild 305and I haven'ttimed it yet with the new converter! I am looking into some heads for it as well as maybe Nitirous. Its not the best "bang for the buck" build up but you gotta love the conversation that ensues after you beat someone "hey what do you got in there?" "TPI" "What size motor?" "305 or LB9" 'WHATT???" and on and on. Yeah I get beat all the time by LS1's and Lt1's but I tell you what the ones that I have beat are very happy about being beaten by an automatic 305 TPI. But man do I get stomped on! Messing with the ricers is the best!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, unfortunately the early LG4 is about the worst of the SBCs to start a performance build on, but it can be done, and best of all, cheap. Speaking from experience...

You'll need to address everything on that engine, and I mean everything, as your faced with one bottleneck after another.

First, the MOST IMPORTANT thing to making power on these cars is the exhaust. You'll want good quality parts that flow well. Shorty or long tube headers wont matter much at this power level, just make sure they're at least 1 5/8" primaries with a good collector. STAY AWAY FROM THE EDELBROCK CRIMP TYPE COLLECTORS! Y-pipe should be free flowing and as large as possible. Buy headers for a TPI car, as they'll have a larger y-pipe and will eliminate the butterfly valve in the passenger pipe. Catback should be at least 3" with a good flowing muffler. Magnaflow, Dynomax, etc. NOT FLOWMASTER.

Second, address the induction. Forget about the stock CCC QJet. They can be made to run, but require $, time, and patience. Do yourself a favor and select a good 600-650 piece on top of Edelbrocks Vortec Performer RPM intake (see below). Open element aircleaner is OK.

Finally, cam, compression, and heads. Do all 3 at the same time. Comp Cams XE 256 and XE 262 work well in the 305s. Buy the cam kit, not just the cam. Look around in junkyards for late model GM vans. From 96-02? the 305s had good cylinder heads that can be had for pennies. You will need an intake designed for the Vortec heads. Mill them slightly and install a thinner head gasket.

The above mentioned parts should make for a strong 305, and produce just under 300HP. Combine that with a 2400-2600 stall (try to source an S10 converter from GM) and some 3.42 or 3.73 gears (cheaper to install complete rear end from donor car) and you should have a fairly quick car.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Yes the Edelcrap headers suck. Hooker or SLP are the way to go. Hedmens are pretty kick butt to for the dough.
Just get some world heads and port them out. Have fun...thats the name of the game.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by IrocTransAm
I don't think carb is the answer but most like it. I am a TPI guy..I have a mild build up that actually runs strong. I am currently in the process of adding either the ASM runners and TPIs Big Mouth intake or just getting the FirstInjections set up. I have already bought my 3.42's(TPI like 3.42 better than 3.73's unless more heavily modded)and I am waiting to go get dyno tuned. I have already gotten decent times on street tires and 2.73 gears. 13.6's are not bad for a mild 305and I haven'ttimed it yet with the new converter! I am looking into some heads for it as well as maybe Nitirous. Its not the best "bang for the buck" build up but you gotta love the conversation that ensues after you beat someone "hey what do you got in there?" "TPI" "What size motor?" "305 or LB9" 'WHATT???" and on and on. Yeah I get beat all the time by LS1's and Lt1's but I tell you what the ones that I have beat are very happy about being beaten by an automatic 305 TPI. But man do I get stomped on! Messing with the ricers is the best!!!
i have a never used holley stealth ram setup if youre interested
Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

PM me whats included in the buy and how much. I am going to Vegas to blow some dough that I could better use on my T/A or Roc but oh well.
I am interested because I would like the see the results of a aftermarket system on a 305 with mods that can keep up with the setup. I was really looking into the FirstInjections setup since it is still TPI but we'll see what happens. PM me. Thanks
Oh and you can't forget the thing all gearheads hate to hear more than building a 305....STROKE IT TO A 335!!!! LOL Release the hate mail!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The funest car I had was a 1983 Cutlass 4-door with a rebuilt 350 with a RV cam, 305 heads, headers, and a 600 Edie carb. It wasn't the fastest thing by anymeans, but it was the altimate gravel road car\ **** around car, especially since i didn't care about the car. If the car is a beater, then though an intake, headers and a mild cam in it, and had fun.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thought I'd help ya out a little, when my car was stock it had the original 87 305 roller motor with the quadrajunk 4 bll and 700 R4. At around 145,000 miles I started modding it just to see what I could get out of it and believe me it was a surprising little motor. I started out by running Hedman mid length headers, ORY, and a 3" American Thunder cat back. That was the single best mod I ever done to that car, it really woke it up, anyway after that I ditched the computer and quadrojet for a Edelbrock Performer intake and matching 600cfm Edelbrock carb. I swapped out the HEI, this car had the coil seperate from the distributor, for a Mallory Billet old school HEI distributor and Taylor 8mm wires. After that I swapped the factory 3.08 gears for 3.73's and put a vette valve body on the transmission. The car was running 9.2's in the 1/8th miles with close to 200,000 miles and at 210,000 the electric fuel pump went out so I built a 406ci small block for it, that old LG4 was still running strong when I pulled it out, didn't smoke or use oil not one bit. 305's are bullet proof as far as I'm concerned because I beat the living **** outta that little motor and it never gave me one bit of problems!! Good luck
Old 07-12-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

WOW thats alot of good info

thanks guys

im gonna get some midlength deader and dynomax catback first

then a carb and intake.

should i go with performer or rpm intake?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

RPM make the little thing work for the bottom end!!! I actually like the Weiand Stealth intake more. Either way it should help out a lot!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Watch your hood clearance - With the holley carb on top of a regular performer I don't have that much room -

A Performer RPM I think is a little taller.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28fan
Watch your hood clearance - With the holley carb on top of a regular performer I don't have that much room -

A Performer RPM I think is a little taller.
im going all edlebrock, is the edlebrock carb shorter than a holley?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Face it dude your 305 is better off as a boat anchor at the bottom of the st. Johns River. The bores are way to small to put a good breathing set of heads from a 350 on it. Dude go fine a one piece rear main 350 block and stick it on a stand a go with it, drive the 305 till you blow it, buy then you should have a nasty 5.7 ready to install. I bet the MOST power you can make with that 5 liter salt shaker motor as right around 375 HP..... Thats flywheel power to. WEAK!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Squat13
Face it dude your 305 is better off as a boat anchor at the bottom of the st. Johns River. The bores are way to small to put a good breathing set of heads from a 350 on it. Dude go fine a one piece rear main 350 block and stick it on a stand a go with it, drive the 305 till you blow it, buy then you should have a nasty 5.7 ready to install. I bet the MOST power you can make with that 5 liter salt shaker motor as right around 375 HP..... Thats flywheel power to. WEAK!
im not lookin for more than 300, i just want to have a quick car and have some fun until i get a new car for graduation
Old 07-13-2006, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Let the kid have his fun...he knows whats wrong with the 305 and he knows what will come of it. Have fun man and enjoy it until you get something else at the least.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

I am not very knowledgable about edelbrock carbs- But I think it is a bit shorter than the holley.

Build your 305 and have fun with it- my 82 is setup basically for doing what you describe, and I have a blast driving it. I built it on the cheap and have had good luck with it.

What I do with it is race ricer cars when I get a chance - every now and then you can find a stock 5.0 mustang and that makes for a good fun race.

Check out thirdgen.org there are a couple good running 305's drivers on there for example this thread.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/or...-305-does.html

Last edited by z28fan; 07-13-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 305 build up