Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

427bbc z28 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 427bbc z28 conversion

Alright, Heres the scoop..

I've got a bbc 427 out of a 69 vette that i'de like to put in a 4 gen camaro.

Is there a company that makes prefab engine mounts, or anything to get me on my feet? I havnt aquired the camaro body, But i'm looking at a 99 z28 body..
Has anyone done this conversion yet? What all is going to be envolved?
I know anythigns possible, but is it worth the time and effort, and money?

The engines pushing about 600 hp, And i'de like to keep the 6 speed tranny..
and put some 4:11's in the rear..

Does anyone have any suggestions, or websites that i can look at for further information about this convesion?

Thanks..
Old 09-26-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

McLeod makes the bellhousing that will mate a LS1 tranny to a BBC. BMR makes a K-member that will mount your BBC correctly and also save you space for your headers. The only real problem in doing the swap is the fuel injection or carb setup hitting the cowl. Everything else is pretty straight forward and can be done easily. Is this going to be street driven or drag only? Removing the A/C helps a lot as far as room goes.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Its going to be street driven, no ac.

Do you know if i'll have to cut the firewall and fenderwells?
Beef up the front suspension?
I have a body shop that will fabricate any hood for clearence issues..
I'm just worried about the engine actually fitting into the body with out
too many modifications.. I'm going to stick with the carb, and probably
build the engine for a supercharger later on..

Thanks for the help... I'm ready to build one hell of a street machine!!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by daytonight
Do you know if i'll have to cut the firewall and fenderwells?
You don't have to cut the strut towers at all. No cutting of the firewall, but with a carb you will have to trim the cowl by the wipers a little.

Beef up the front suspension?
I'm not really sure on this one. I'm going to a completely tubular suspension to save weight and I'll probably get some new springs and shocks to handle the weight. BBC weight is around 520 and a small block is about 450 IIRC so with some weight savings it shouldn't be too bad up front.

I have a body shop that will fabricate any hood for clearence issues..
I'm just worried about the engine actually fitting into the body with out
too many modifications..
Shouldn't have too many problems with the hood, you can get a cowl hood or maybe an SS hood would clear it. Mine is in a 97 WS6 so I already have a little extra room.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Teching In

What have you done to your car so far?

Did you stick a Big Block in your ws6? How many cubic inches is your engine?
Are you going to use the same tranny? Thats a relief that I won't have to do to o much cutting. I think I might go ahead and get that body.. Do you have any more hints?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

I have two cars a 97 M6 Z28 and my new project car which is the 97 M6 WS6. I don't really post here, just look around and cherry pick information. The WS6 is basically a roller right now with no wiring. I pulled the front suspension and replaced it with BMR stuff, upper & Lower A-Arms, K-member, manual rack. This weekend my builder is lending me a 454 block so I can mock up the tranny and bellhousing and make sure everything fits the way it's supposed to. Then of course comes headers, TBI/Intake setup and dist. for clearance checking and then it all comes out again to be built and then it will just slide back in and be ready to go. While it's out to be built is when I'm gonna do the wiring for everything.

I am in the process of sticking a stroked 454 (approx. 510 ci) in the WS6 and yes, I'm going to use the tranny combo I mentioned earlier. 8710 Bellhousing, Street-Twin clutch, and LS1 transmission. The only real problem for me is going to be the wiring for the car and engine. I pulled all the wiring out and am going to run a Painless Streetrod kit and a FAST XFI for the engine. There is another member on the board I'm on that is in the process of doing the swap as well. Also Cwaldt on this board has done the swap as well so you might PM him for more info. They both are running carbs.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458573

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1214677/1

Last edited by ulakovic22; 09-27-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Can you still use the power steering with the big block conversion? Will it still work with the BMR k member?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Can you still use the power steering with the big block conversion? Will it still work with the BMR k member?
You'll need to go with a power steering pump that will bolt up to the BBC with the 2 brackets on the drivers side of the motor. Then just have your lines made to fit.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

The BMR piece gives you the option to use a manual rack or to retain the factory rack. I just chose to use a manual cause I think it will be easier and cleaner. Won't have to mount a resevior, a pump or any lines.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Just a thought, did you run the numbers?? That engine might be worth a bunch of money, then you can do what ever you really wanted to do. Stroker SBC, or if you want a BBC, you can get a more modern, fresh motor. Just thinking out loud.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

its got the original heads and block, but ofcoarse diffrent crank and cam and pistons.. Me and this engine how alot of centimental value hah.. But every mans got his price.

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Just a thought, did you run the numbers?? That engine might be worth a bunch of money, then you can do what ever you really wanted to do. Stroker SBC, or if you want a BBC, you can get a more modern, fresh motor. Just thinking out loud.

Quick Reply: 427bbc z28 conversion