Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

800whp turbo and cheap, will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800whp turbo and cheap, will this work?

I want to make around 800hp with a turboed smallblock for as cheap as possible.
I'm assuming I will need all-new internals. My small block source will be a lightly used truck engine off car-part.com unless you know of a better source for cheap smallblocks. I'm new to this whole small block thing, So this is just an outline to give me an idea of how much this project will cost.
  • I hope to get one with vortec heads cuz I heard they were a lot better.
  • Can someone help me figure out how to combine different rods/pistons/cranks to get a 383 but with lower compression?(so it will proly be a little bigger than 383).
    I'm thinking scat/eagle cast peices for rods/crank/pistons
  • I'm also having trouble figuring out cam choices. I want a roller tappet but I think they're too expensive.
    How much power would I lose by getting a flat tappet?
    Should I get hydrualic lifters? I really don't see a point of hydraulic unless you are bothered by the noise. Maybe i'm missing something.
  • with a goal of 800whp on a turboed small block with cast internals, what should I shoot for as far as a power band?
    i'm thinking a 6000-6500 rpm redline
  • how much boost should I run?
    A rough guestimate would put 800whp at around 15psi of boost but I would like to run 20 if the small block can take it.
  • what is the weak point with cast internals?
    I would like to keep this budget, but I would be willing to invest in forged pistons or rods if opinions generally deem them nesecary. I haven't included them because I know of many import cars that run 20psi just fine on cast peices.
I know I need new springs/rocker arms/pushrods/piston pins ect. but I don't think any questions need to be asked about those.
Some other things I know I need are head and main bearing studs and a multilayer steel head gasket for the boost. I'm going to worry about the external setup, fueling, and transmission later. Am i missing anything else for the motor?
cast internals and a flat tappet cam setup should run me about 1.5k if my estimates are right. yay or nay?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:37 PM
ggk
Launching!

yeah you arnt going to get 800 rwhp with cast anything only the best will do int this application. I dont think you will do it if you re trying to do it cheap. It costs money to be that range of hp.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

the imports also dont make much more than 350hp with that 20psi... if you dont have the money to go forged dont even bother. iff by some chance u got it to hold with tht much power, it would be a big *** grenade with a relatively short fuse
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

You'll need an all forged 383 shortblock, and if I were you I'd use better heads than Vortecs. A roller cam would be a good idea too. You could use some of the better factory cranks, but forged rods/pistons will be a MUST. 800rwhp isn't cheap by any means.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91Z28
You'll need an all forged 383 shortblock, and if I were you I'd use better heads than Vortecs. A roller cam would be a good idea too. You could use some of the better factory cranks, but forged rods/pistons will be a MUST. 800rwhp isn't cheap by any means.
Dont mean to highjack in the slightest way but, if you already have a forged 383, would 600rwhpish be easily and less costly to obtain?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
Dont mean to highjack in the slightest way but, if you already have a forged 383, would 600rwhpish be easily and less costly to obtain?
well since they seem agree that my idea wont work, feel free to hijack. Yeah if I didn't have money limitations and already had a forged 383 things would be a lot easier. In fact, I bet 800whp could be done without much effort. There are several things I know you will need based on my import background:
  • lower compression internals.
    If your 383 was set up for natural aspiration you're going to need lower compression to run more than about 6 psi of boost. This means shorter rods, shorter crank stroke, lower compression height pistons, heads with bigger chambers, or a thicker headgasket. Thicker head gasket is the cheapest route, but it seems that most people change out pistons for shorter ones.
  • stronger-than-stock head gasket and head studs
  • main bearing studs
  • different fueling
    you will either need fuel injection(I recommend megasquirt), a special "blow through" configured carb so you can shoot boost through it, or a normal carb and a turbo that has carbon seals(so it can handle fuel going through it and manifold vacuum).
besides that, i'm not aware of anything. Of course you would need the regular turbo goodies like a wastegate, blow off valve, intercooler, turbo, turbo compatible manifolds...ect
the actual turbo setup will run you around 1-1.5 grand IF the source of most of your parts is the junkyard(turbos, intercooler, wastegate, blow off)
if you plan on doing it "right", a turbo setup will run you 3 grand and up. Neither of these prices include internal upgrades or fuel upgrades either.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

i would be scared to run a factory block anywhere near that much hp.for that kind of power i would look into a dart or world block,or at the minimun a bowtie block.then turbo style headers with atleast a t76 turbo,probably 96 lb injectors,and a large pump wich will be 400 or more by itself.big intercooler also.plus you will need a very strong trans also which won't be cheap.you are talking big money to make something like that.i have contemplated that route myself before and had the twin turbo headers for a sbc and holley efi also but still needed much more money than i cared to spend.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I agree with everyone else here. 800whp is going to be very pricey. You will be lucky to find turbos that will support that much HP out of the junkyard. Vortech heads probably will not flow enough. I would present this question into the forced induction thread and the people there will send you in the correct direction.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Teching In

the book- MAXIMUM BOOST by Corky Bell is the Bible of forced induction...
armed with that book you will get a proper idea of the science and formulas
behind lasting trouble free boost... turbo or supercharger..
Don't waste your money on parts or other books... I have read the one's
from Motorbooks and SA Design... and they are pure puffy vague BS junk.
Corky is a Mechanical Engineer... but is able to present the
science needed for boost comprehention easy to understand....
I agree that 800 hp with a turbo is not a cheap proposition..
.. if you already have a 383.. get some AFR Eliminators with the proper
Port size for your application and a cam/valvetrain to make them work..
500 to 600hp is reachable... spend the rest of your time finding ways to
shed weight off of your car... for every 100 lbs of weight you give up against
competitors...you will need to make roughly 10 to 15 horsepower more just
to stay even with them... this is why a 2200 lb Civic with a turbo and
280 to 300hp can hang with a 3800 lb Camaro that's putting out 500hp..
buy a cheap drag race analyzer software program and you'll see what it takes to go fast.... and how many forum members,sadly, are full of caca.
Good luck..
Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cast internal small block =
Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 AM
JUICED96Z

When someone says cast enternals on lots of boost I get scared

When someone says the word cheap when it comes to building an engine I get scared....

BOOM!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, 800 whp and cheap should not be used in the same sentence unless there is a big NOT in front of the cheap!

Derek
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Launching!

ditch the small block if your looking for high hp
a 454 would be a bit cheaper to get there
Old 10-19-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are going for the cheap, go buy a salvage motor, turbo it and hope for the best. You'll blow it eventually but it could be lots of fun until you do. lol
Old 10-19-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"800 hp turbo mall block" and "cheap" cant be used in the same sentence
Old 10-19-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
"800 hp turbo mall block" and "cheap" cant be used in the same sentence
I think "affordable" and "800hp" can be used in the same sentence. It probably wouldn't use a turbo though. There are some really nice all forged shortblocks for sale out there at good prices nowadays though. That would be a good place to start.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

hahahahahahaha sorry.

what i read here:

$1.5k
non-forged, vortec
junkyard
800hp

NO NO NO. NO NO. NO. NONONONO. NO. NO.

NO.

it cant happen.

first off, the components u want to use will not produce enough power, let alone sustain it.

-vortec heads blow, they do not flow.
-800 stock engine...babababababaBBBOOOOOMM
-you jsut dont realize the amount of supporting mods you need in order to make this power.

not trying to be a dick, im just trying to save u time and ALOTA money. you need to do alot more research, and really understand how engines and cars work, and make power before you tackle a job like this
Old 10-19-2006, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

In fact, I bet 800whp could be done without much effort. There are several things I know you will need based on my import background:

Fellas, to me this explains it all. I wouldnt recommend taking a old stock block and trying to spin it anywhere near 6-6500 RPM. Hell, alot of stock cast internals cant even take a 150 shot, how in the hell is it going to take 15-20PSI of boost?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
hahahahahahaha sorry.

what i read here:

$1.5k
non-forged, vortec
junkyard
800hp

NO NO NO. NO NO. NO. NONONONO. NO. NO.

NO.

it cant happen...

hold up a second here guys... you all are going about this all the wrong way.

800 RWPH can be had for cheap. the problem is simply that you have to factor in the other side of the trifecta.

fast, cheap, reliable.

pick two.

take a junkyard 350 w/ two CTD turbo's, add about a 250 shot of juice, and ~Viola! 800+ hp for mmm.. 'bout 2 seconds...

seriously, i about spit DP all over myself when i saw this thread title. spend the money.

take a jy 454 w/ two t04b's add race gas and 1100$ carb shop toilet, and you're there.

my biasd route, at least build a rod and pistoned LSX, with stock intake,heads, arp studs ect... now throw a t-76 in the mix and you're there with room to grow.

junkyard LSX = 3-500$

rods/pistons 1100$

6L truck gaskets / exhaust manifolds -free

83# inj, hpt3 bar a1000 fp 600$

plumbing, ect.. 500$

building the power is NOT hard. it's spending the money to put it to the gound...

Last edited by Vents; 10-19-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

i dont agree. you come up with a such budget, but the turbo builds never come close to modest budgets.

i do agree that turbo setups can be done going down much cheaper paths, but in those instances the setup sucks, doesnt perform, ***** breaking, and then the engine blows.

Quick Reply: 800whp turbo and cheap, will this work?