Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

sbc vs. LS7

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc vs. LS7

Just curious, don't know much about the sbc.

Is there more power/torque to be had from using, say a 427 sbc in an F-Body over an LS7 engine. All parts being equal.

I would suppose there are better heads for the sbc and intakes like a Beck or Hogan would be used for both.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Depends on what heads you use. 15 degree heads, SB2.2, etc can all flow enough to make LS7 like numbers. Probably won't get there with 23 degree heads though.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 91Z28
Depends on what heads you use. 15 degree heads, SB2.2, etc can all flow enough to make LS7 like numbers. Probably won't get there with 23 degree heads though.
So, you're saying that a sbc with the best stuff will just match the LS7 flow potential?

So, basically, an LS7 with the best stuff will simply be better?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quickin
So, you're saying that a sbc with the best stuff will just match the LS7 flow potential?

So, basically, an LS7 with the best stuff will simply be better?

It depends on how wild you are willing to go. SB2.2 stuff can flow well over 400cfm. On a 427 you can imagine what kind of power that would make. I don't think the ultimate flow potential of the LS7 head has been reached yet, but I've seen them in the 370s.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep in mind the camshaft spends most of its time a mid lift, peak numbers are just part of the bigger picture. I would bet money that the LS7 head out powers the SB2 head in the lower to mid flow numbers. Anytime you compare aged technology to new the new is most allways going to come out on top.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 91Z28
It depends on how wild you are willing to go. SB2.2 stuff can flow well over 400cfm. On a 427 you can imagine what kind of power that would make. I don't think the ultimate flow potential of the LS7 head has been reached yet, but I've seen them in the 370s.
A head shop in Lauderdale is getting 392 cfm @.650 lift from his ported LS7 heads.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Keep in mind the camshaft spends most of its time a mid lift, peak numbers are just part of the bigger picture. I would bet money that the LS7 head out powers the SB2 head in the lower to mid flow numbers. Anytime you compare aged technology to new the new is most allways going to come out on top.
The SB 2.2 Heads arent aged at all. Those are brand new GM heads. They flow amazing to. Some top dragster and circle track guys use those.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Pretty sure they also make 10 degree heads also and the SB2 stuff is really small CC's so helps out with lowend TQ.There are some guys making 650 rwhp with alot less cubes then the ls7......www.ramracing.us.....Check them guys they run all motor and go some pretty crazy #'s.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 AM
Teching In

sb2 heads are wonderful but they are not the top head for a sbc dart and brodix both make canted valve heads that work great htey flow in the 390 cfm range aswell but wont likely work for a street motor
Old 11-01-2006, 01:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

SBC is a better platform if you want to make insane amounts of power for a decent price (try building a ls7)... i know for a fact with as much as the LS7 cost I could build a SBC that would whip the **** out of it all day long....

The ls7 aint god or nothing. You people need to quit acting like it is.

You f orget they still make 18* heads and **** for the SBC... all with new technology in them...
Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

does anyone one of a write up about putting sb2 heads on a iron block
Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

It takes a good bit of money to make them work but they can make some nice#'s.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Restricted User

I agree..For the $13,000 a LS7 crate engine cost i could build a SBC that would lay waste to it. This bandwagon **** is getting old. They both are excellent platforms and both have endless potential. Yes out of the crate the LS7 owns, but it should! it's brand freaking new and more modern. but, once you start modifying **** that all goes out the window. Then the SBC steps up and can hold it's own. I would say the deciding factor would be the ultimate goal for the engine and how deep your pockets are.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

BrianEsser,

For your build also consider fuel mileage, low speed driveability, weight and handling.

Makes things a bit harder than just building a motor to top out the LS7 on HP alone.

Dennis
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Big-DEN
BrianEsser,

For your build also consider fuel mileage, low speed driveability, weight and handling.

Makes things a bit harder than just building a motor to top out the LS7 on HP alone.

Dennis
Exactly! It goes back like I said to intended usage. Do you want a killer street engine or a maxed out race motor. Though the weight thing is negligible with SBC aluminum heads/intake/water pump etc.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street/Strip car = LSX

All out drag car = SBC/BBC
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Im in the middle of a 18* build up checkout this thread for pics and info.

18* SBC build

progress has come to a hault on it due to a new project.I know ,u should always finish what u started.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UCABlackChevy
Street/Strip car = LSX

All out drag car = SBC/BBC
I'll have to disagree with you there. Maybe once upon a time, yes, the LSX engine family were much better suited for the street/strip... but technology has definitely changed how we look at the SBC generation.

Yes, the LS7 comes with much better heads (and tuning ability) from the factory, and since we're trying to make the comparison fair, why not take a 427 Motown SBC crate engine, throw on a set of Aero heads, top it off with a Holley Stealth Ram (w/it's ECU), and compare them then. Price range should be about the same for both engine's, give or take a few grand...
Old 11-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
I'll have to disagree with you there. Maybe once upon a time, yes, the LSX engine family were much better suited for the street/strip... but technology has definitely changed how we look at the SBC generation.

Yes, the LS7 comes with much better heads (and tuning ability) from the factory, and since we're trying to make the comparison fair, why not take a 427 Motown SBC crate engine, throw on a set of Aero heads, top it off with a Holley Stealth Ram (w/it's ECU), and compare them then. Price range should be about the same for both engine's, give or take a few grand...

Couldnt be said any better........
Old 11-13-2006, 03:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Street Lethal

Aren't there sbc heads that flow into the 400's?

Quick Reply: sbc vs. LS7