Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Need some advise on an engine build

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some advise on an engine build

I'm looking for advice on a engine build....I wanted so see if my combination of parts will work for a swap I'm doing.

Engine: 86-up 4-bolt 350 1-Pc seal, Ramjet GMPP FI Intake

Eagle Rot. Assy: 355ci. (Inter. Bal. 5.7 5140 rods/3.48 crank/-10cc .030 Hyper Pistons for 9.3:1 with 64cc heads)

Cam: Comp Cams XR270HR-10 (218/224dur@.50)(270/276@.006 .495/.502lift 29IO/24EC 110LSA at 106 CL)(53deg. overlap) (Largest cam with stock conv)

Heads: Edelbrock E-Tec 200 (2.02/1.60's) .575 max lift (200cc Int/180cc Exh) 64cc chamber (.040 gasket)

Rockers: 1.52 Comp pro mags

(9.3:1 static/ 7.9 to 8.1ish DCR?) (Aluminum heads)

Swap Vehicle: 2002 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4 (4250lbs)
Stock stall 2200 (v6) I figure about 2500 for the small block.
3.42's in the front/rear....and still using the 4L60E.
Tryin' to stick with or around 87octane

Just want someone to double check my work...I figure it will be good for about 405hp/425tq at the fly and have a pretty flat torque curve from 2000 to about 5500 and the hp peaking around 6000 if I wanted to up the rev limit.
I've built a few engines...but never ironblocks with aluminum heads or this style of FI. Mostly stuck with all iron motors or aluminum LS style engines.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Teching In

I dont see why it wouldent work but I think the 200s are a little overkill for what your doing the 170s or even a stock vortec would be better i think
Old 11-29-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350sd
I dont see why it wouldent work but I think the 200s are a little overkill for what your doing the 170s or even a stock vortec would be better i think
I agree.....You could save some major cash by doing iron vortecs with the guides machined down for higher lift springs. Otherwise, looks like an awesome motor!! Out of curiosity, what does that blazer weigh?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the money I would go with a set of RHS 180 cc int runner aluminum head. The stock cast iron vortec heads would probably pull a few rocker arm studs(due to lift). And for the price of machining the vortex heads you would have the same money into them as the RHS heads. The other great thing about the RHS head is that they flow way better than the vortex heads. RHS is a Comp Cams company who bought out Pro Topline, who make some of the best cast iron SBC heads out there. Don't miss under stand me, please, I also like the vortec Chevy head in my engine builds.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

I'd stay away from the E-Tec 200's. I had a set, flowed them, had them ported by a local porter, flowed again, chamber work, larger springs, better valvejob, etc and flow went from 230@ .600" to 260@ .600". I wasn't impressed even with the low lift numbers, and to TOP IT OFF(literally), you have to use a Vortec style intake and it just so happens that they all have TINY TINY ports that create a bottle neck on top of the cyl head intake runners. Cross section of the head runner is nearing 1206 felpro size and the intake manifold is not even close to being that big. Port matching the intake is what I did but it's probably a terrible setup because of cross-section variance. I'd stick with a stock vortec head and put money into a sweet valvejob, good springs, chamber polishing, runner and pocket porting. The small efficient Vortec intake port and Ramjet intake port were made to match. It will keep flow velocity up which makes for a great engine all through the powerband. SDPC2000.com has great combinations for the head and also cam's that should be a close match(thought I think a little bigger is usually better). A GM Hotcam would be a great cam. Sounds good, cheap, a bit more aggressive than your Comp cam, etc.

I'd also try to see 10:1 compression with polished chambers, maybe a thinner headgasket if clearance allows. It will make for a stout combo that makes the same HP as E-Tec 200's but with A LOT more bottom end and with a stock converter, you need bottom end. If funds allow, a lockup style 3000-32000 converter would wake things up BIG TIME. Goodluck!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah, and I'm still angy I dumped roughly $1900 into a set of E-Tec 200's when a set of cheap prepped Vortec's would have been better.

Question! What EFI system? If it's GMPP's little self contained Ramjet computer, who will modify it to make a larger cam work compared to a stock ramjet engine(which is weak by the way, that cam sucks..)
Old 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Well....where to start....the Blazer is 4250lbs....the reason I wanted the E-Tec's...is because I want aluminum heads for one, to save weight on the already porky small block couple with a heavy mid-size SUV....and two, for the fact that I can get away with more compression (Lower DCR) on 87octane or around there abouts. The only reason I wanted the E-Tec 200's was because it allowed for upgrades in the future....and I can get them for $945 for the pair The RamJet setup...which requires the vortec style heads...can be purchased with or without the ECM. I chose without because I'm using the stock PCM to drive it...the manifold came with 30lb/hr injectors/rails/and injector harness for about $1395...not bad I thought because it will clear the hood and sit right between the AC compressor and the alternator Since nobody has done this swap that I know of, it's taken alot of consideration and planning.

The goal is to keep the cam I have because it's the largest I can use without any drivability issues and I'm going to attemp to pass jersey inspection/emissions. I figure if I can't pass...I'll just register it back home in Nebraska where we don't have inspections. I'm trying to prove it can be done retaining the cats...(I didn't have EGR or Air INJ from the factory)...do some nice wideband logging with EFIlive...and try to dial-in the best AFR I can over a few long drives down interstate. As long as they don't pop the hood...I'll be golden...I don't want to hear anyone say "that's not legal" crap...I can probably get this vehicle to better standards then with the V6 it will replace. Wish me luck

Last edited by Rabidbandit; 11-30-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

A Ramjet will look somewhat factory installed if you keep the lines and wires all black, etc. We won't say anything.

If aluminum is your goal for weight savings, there is nothing wrong with the E-Tec 170's vs. vortecs. I just wanted to make it clear that E-Tec 200's big ports are useless because all avaliable intake manifolds are designed for tiny vortec/170 ports.. Sounds like a good project though!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Well....you got me....your right The E-Tec 200 requires 1.75 primaries for the exhaust ports....nobody makes swap headers that big So I guess I'll have to down size to the 170's. Plus the increased port velocity might help for better atomization/power in my application anyway. Good lookin' out AutoRoc....that's why I post this stuff
Chris

Quick Reply: Need some advise on an engine build