Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Thunder Racing or AntiVenom :confused:

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thunder Racing or AntiVenom :confused:

Hows it going guys.

Ok heres the deal. Im currently deployed and when i return im defintly looking into upgrading my 99 SS its bone stock right now. Ive sent an email to Thunder Racing of Baton Rouge, LA and one to AntiVenom of Tampa, Fl. My question to you guys is, does anyone have feedback or possibly dealt either of these 2 performance shops. Im just trying to get an overall idea of which of the 2 may be better, if all at ( maybe they are both equally good at there trade ). Im looking at getting a comp XR265HR cam installed with all supportingmods, my buddy has a 05 GTO with that cam installed and ive done some research on it and all the things ive read are saying it makes a great daily driver cam. I want to have that sound that a cammed car has. but i also want it to still be a really good daily driver, so it would seem that is my best bet as far as choice of cam is concerned. So if any of you all have any inputs on either of these 2 shops. please all info would be greatly apppreciated. Take it easy.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know the folks at Thunder personally, if your car is perfect and unmolested, it will leave perfect. Give Shane a call and see what true professionals work like, it's one of the few places left that does not employ bicycle mechanics tp install cams U would be surprised at the **** going on and the tuners (BIG NAMES) that are doing it. In dis-belief myself
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Nice to know Kinda cool to hear that, im stationed at Barksdale AFB, in Shreveport, LA. So of course just for sheer distance alone Thunder Racing is a good choice.. 5 hour drive and stay a couple of days as opposed to dirve for damn near a day lol Awesome. Well Hey ya mind doing me a favor give Shane my email david_kizer@hotmail.com. Since im deployed at the moment and somehow this location ran out of calling cards. im restricted to calling only areas local to military bases.

Also, Thanks for the response. all information i can get on either of these speed shops would be greatly appreciated. If it does turn out that Thunder Racing is my choice. Awesome. regardless, i am definatly looking forward to working with either of the 2 shops on putting new parts in my car.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shane is a member on here you can PM him he'll get back to you. XtraCajunSS i think it is. Good guys over there at Thunder they my tune. Great people to deal with.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:42 AM
Teching In

awesome thx for the info.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

If you don't mind me asking, why did you pick these two particular shops? One in south LA and one in mid/south FL?

-Will
Old 03-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Teching In

I chose Thunder racing, for the obvious reason, its in the same state that i am stationed . As for AntiVenom.. my buddy who is a MASSIVE LS1 freak kinda the one who got me into em. Well, he used to be stationed at BArksdale AFB with me, but he got orders to Tampa. and he said that AntiVenom is literally 4 miles from his house. Also, i plan on going to visit him and his wife. we want to have a Track Day so to speak. and we both thought it would be cool i suppose. he was just giving me ideas becase he knows i want to upgrade my SS. so he was just telling me of another option i have. But i think ive made a decision to go to Thunder Racing.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Teching In

futral motorsports is who i would recommend. TR has been a little off cue since they split the business IMO.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Teching In

didnt realize there was another in Losuianna
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jnoehl
futral motorsports is who i would recommend. TR has been a little off cue since they split the business IMO.
I have deep knowledge of the situation and I can tell u that to the customer, it makes no difference. Your car is built by the same 2 guys and tuned by the master. The building changed, and the tuner/dyno is in another building, what's the big deal? The "off cue" lasted about 2 weeks, long ago. If u know the people at Thunder, u would know that only buildings and office locations changed, and Geoff is tuning separate from T/R, but he still tunes for them. It all comes down to a good combo, perfect installation, and a dead-nutts tune. Other than my tune, I wrench/build my cars 100% myself, and Geoff does the tuning. The results speak for themselves. Give Shane @ T/R a call, or call Geoff @ EPS. This is my expert opinion and yours may vary, as will your e/t
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Talking

Ill put it this way. I liek the fact that T/R is close to Barksdale. And ive got nothing but great feedback so far about them and there services. So ill say T/R is about to make some serious $$$ off me lol
Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

No disrespect to Thunder, I know Shane personally and have had work done there. They are very good and take care of their customers. Another option you might consider though is Shawn David at Ragin Racin in Lafayettte. He has also done work on my car and I've been very satisfied. Shawn does all of his tuning and also has a dyno in house. Either way you can't go wrong
Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Another vote for Futral Motorsports. They are located in Walker,LA on exit 15 off of I-12 just east of Baton Rouge.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Spartan Performance in Atlanta recently installed my Cam. They installed the Cam AND tuned my car for literally less than half of what the other local places were charging. My car put down 409 whp and 394 wtq with just the Cam they spec'd for me and boltons.
You should definately contact Josh(owner) from Spartan Performance to see what he can do for you. He's alot closer than Florida and has AWESOME service. Really knows his stuff. I think his screen name is Damian.

Last edited by asthmamax11; 03-31-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let's say u want a tune, and u go to a tuner and he connects his cable to the diagnostic connector and tell u somethings wrong w/ the car and he can't tune it. Should this tuner then LOCK your PCM so it can't be flashed by another tuner? IMHO thats being a dick, life is short, don't be a dick. Ask your tuner if he is one of these guys, if he is, ask yourself "who does this benefit?". I don't lock ****
Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by asthmamax11
Spartan Performance in Atlanta recently installed my Cam. They installed the Cam AND tuned my car for literally less than half of what the other local places were charging. My car put down 409 whp and 394 wtq with just the Cam they spec'd for me and boltons.
You should definately contact Josh(owner) from Spartan Performance to see what he can do for you. He's alot closer than Florida and has AWESOME service. Really knows his stuff. I think his screen name is Damian.
x2 Like asthmamax said Josh of Spartan Peformance is the place to get your stuff done. He did every mod on my car for an unbelieveable price and I got amazing quality work. My car has full boltons, 160 therm, he ported the TB, changed my rearend from 2.73 to 3.42's and street tuned it. You don't have to take my word, just search his name "Damian" on here, trust me you won't read anything but great comments. Shoot him a PM and talk to him yourself, he knows alot and he's real cool.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Yep! Josh at SP is the only to respond back from my email sytating what im looking at getting out of my camaro. semms liek a real down to earth guy. Its takign him some time to put a ballpark figure together for me, but im just glad i found a shop that responds to customers lol seriously. i was beginning to lose hope. Anyways. he seems ready and willign to work with me, and help me obtain the gains im looking at getting. Thx for pointing him and his shop out. Just wish they had a website lol.. unless i havent looked hard enough.

thanks for all who replied to this thread. inputs were greatly appreciated
Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

David thanks for the email. I shot you back a reply this morning. Sorry for the delay in responses, I've been SLAMMED.

Thanks for the support everyone else.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Teching In

i had my gears and ls6 intake manifold installed at thunder racing. and i have to say that shane and all the mechanics done an excellent job. shane will also work with you on choosing the rite cam you want for your car.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JUNK
Let's say u want a tune, and u go to a tuner and he connects his cable to the diagnostic connector and tell u somethings wrong w/ the car and he can't tune it. Should this tuner then LOCK your PCM so it can't be flashed by another tuner? IMHO thats being a dick, life is short, don't be a dick. Ask your tuner if he is one of these guys, if he is, ask yourself "who does this benefit?". I don't lock ****

I have the ability to unlock PCM'S that are 'tuner locked'

REALLY thinking about posting up the 'double secret locked tune' that this 'tuner' refused to unlock for the customer, unless they came back to him...

Quick Reply: Thunder Racing or AntiVenom :confused: