Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Good/bad places to live in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Good/bad places to live in Atlanta?

Looking into potentially transferring to Atlanta with my employer. What areas are areas to avoid when looking for housing? What are some good areas? Need to be within ~20-30 minutes from downtown Atlanta, FWIW.

Thanks, Shawn
Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club

We live in Kennesaw. About 30 minutes north of Atlanta. A great place to live!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kennesaw is very nice, if possible go there, stay away from Marietta, Smyrna, Buckhead, just try to stay centrally north of I-285, not N East. N west is decent.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Banned

Alpharetta (in general) is where the money is.

The rent may be higher, but you have prime shopping, clean areas, nice cars to drive by everyday...

That's where I live, and in my honest opinion... it's about the classiest place you'll find where any hardworking person can gain access. It feels like the gap between middle and upper class (mood).

Lifestyle.... or just a place to sleep. Decisions.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Alpharetta (in general) is where the money is.

The rent may be higher, but you have prime shopping, clean areas, nice cars to drive by everyday...

That's where I live, and in my honest opinion... it's about the classiest place you'll find where any hardworking person can gain access. It feels like the gap between middle and upper class (mood).

Lifestyle.... or just a place to sleep. Decisions.
This is very true as well, BUT it's law here to be able to carry GUN'S! LOL!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy ****! Captain "I buy LS1 parts and sell them before I ever use them" is coming to Atlanta.

As stated, Kennesaw, Alpharetta, and Roswell are some decent places to live however they are expensive. Cumming is another nice spot with an upscale community but slightly cheaper than some of the other Northern cities.

If you're looking for a cheaper cost of living, but still want a nice town then check out the east side. I'm in the Dacula/Auburn area, about 20 min from Atlanta. A 3500+ sq ft house can be bought here for under $200K, taxes are cheaper, no emissions, etc. Hamilton Mill is another one. Upscale community, right down the street from the Mall of Ga.

One thing is guaranteed. If you move to any of the northern cities, depending on where you work be prepared for a bare minimum of 2 hours of traffic every day. Where I'm at, I get pissed off if I sit in more than 10 minutes of traffic.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned

^ Good points...

But if he's got to be inside Atlanta everyday then Cumming (where you have to use Ga400 south and then north out of the city after work) is a parking lot for 15 miles in and out.

Same for ANY place northeast trying to drive in and out using I-85... good luck.

Marietta is good, but damn driving from I-75 into and out, or trying to merge on the 285 loop around the city is a killer around rush hour.

I stick by Alpharetta being best for commute and value being that it's very close to the 285 loop, farther down on 400 when driving into the city, although you WILL have to pay when it comes to living costs.

I'd not want to buy a house in Alpharetta, just rent/lease.....

I'd BUY out in the Lake Lanier area.... yeah c'mon.

p.s. Forget about the south part of the city. Lots of these guys hanging around.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BarbadosGoat
Kennesaw is very nice, if possible go there, stay away from Marietta, Smyrna, Buckhead, just try to stay centrally north of I-285, not N East. N west is decent.
What's wrong with Buckhead?

I live there, pretty nice imo.

I agree that the southside is really the only area that you definitely need to avoid.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Buckhead is cool if you want to live inside the city. For me, it's one of those "cool places to go, not live" type places. I dislike 1-way streets just as much as I'd dislike slamming my dick in a car door.

Unless you have a specific reason for living inside the city, suburbia > city. No emissions in some spots, WAY cheaper cost of living, less traffic, property tax is about half, less crowded, etc etc etc
Old 12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Damian
Buckhead is cool if you want to live inside the city. For me, it's one of those "cool places to go, not live" type places. I dislike 1-way streets just as much as I'd dislike slamming my dick in a car door.

Unless you have a specific reason for living inside the city, suburbia > city. No emissions in some spots, WAY cheaper cost of living, less traffic, property tax is about half, less crowded, etc etc etc
Ditto
Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Jedi Master

Alpharetta
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Im in Sugar Hill which is just down the street from vengeance racing, close to lake lanier(1 mile), you can either go down to 400 or take 985/85S to Atlanta, not far from commerce if you like to dragrace, and is close to mall of georgia, not to mention is not far from the n georgia mountains if you sportbike ride or just like a nice cruise.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the input, still looking at areas, houses, etc.

Also, not 100% sure of the relocation timeline yet. The position would be a newly created one, not sure of when it will be, waiting to hear back.

Thanks again, Shawn
Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Damian
Holy ****! Captain "I buy LS1 parts and sell them before I ever use them" is coming to Atlanta.
Glad to see my reputation is still intact, lol.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

If you are buying a house, Stockbridge has some insanely good property deals since the recent foreclosures.

Quick Reply: Good/bad places to live in Atlanta?