Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Georgia LS1-FBod Scene...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Georgia LS1-FBod Scene...?

Hey y'all

Me and the wife may be moving into GA, and I wanted to know about the racing action there. We're not sure exactly where we are going to set up, but perhaps some insight could help us.

I'm looking to get out of FL with a H/C 98 Z28 running high 11's at a slippery track. So please include any info on smog restrictions.

Also welcomed are your impressions of the cost of living, jobs, climate, people, crime, etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

I'm in the Atlanta area. If you live in the city limits you need to get an emission test (obd2) code search. obd1 cars get the sniffer on the rollers. In the Atlanta area there are two tracks Commerce about 40 miles outside the loop or Silver Dollar about 2 hours drive. Commerce hardly ever preps the track and it's clogged with rice machines during test and tune. The price of living is about the same everywhere... all in all it's an OK place to be.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Teching In

What part of Ga are you moving too? Or do you have any requirements, as in, how close to downtown atlanta you want to be in, cost of living, best bang for the buck area, North or South Ga...There are some really good places to live and some places to avoid..but it all depends on what you want.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmp02ws6
What part of Ga are you moving too? Or do you have any requirements, as in, how close to downtown atlanta you want to be in, cost of living, best bang for the buck area, North or South Ga...There are some really good places to live and some places to avoid..but it all depends on what you want.
try to avoid just south of atlanta, near the airport, its not that nice of an area
Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost of living is really not bad comparitively speaking. Gas is(was)generally on the low side of the national average before Katrina. Food is food.... Real Estate is a deal compared to where I'm from. My current house would go for approx. $150k MORE in the DC metro area(where I'm from)than what I paid here.

The different areas will differ in real estate pricing. Same house I'm in would prolly go for $20k less on the South side. IMO... the North side is a bit more affluent, and seems there are more opportunities for jobs/career growth.

Traffic SUCKS everywhere. PERIOD. Bring your cd case, Advil, a cool drink, and a good auto insurance policy w/you if you plan on anything more than a 20 mile commute(which btw IS good for a 45-90 minute session in rush hour traffic..... which btw.... does not end.)

Crime. Hhmm... just like any other major metropolitan city. It's here too. Mainly the wanna be bad *** thugs and their gangs who like to shoot each other. Lot's of gang related grafitty/activity in Gwinnett, Cobb, and DeKalb counties, but have never personally had any "problems".

Folks are generally friendly.... there are spuratic/iscolated incidents of road rage, but usually nothing an invitation to a severe *** whooping won't remedy. Have had a few instances of folks losing their common sense and having to "remind" them it would be in their best interest to get BACK in the car and STFU.

Weather: Just as hot as Florida in the summer months. Not as warm as Florida in the Winter months. It does get cold.... but unless you work outside everyday(like me).... you'll only notice it in your heating bill and to/from the car.

And last but not least: RACING

As already stated, you've got some choices. On the North side of the Perimeter(285)up 85N you've got Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, GA. www.atlantadragway.com A very nice facillity.... NHRA sanctioned. DA is usually on the high side so unless you get lucky at hit it on a cool/low humidity day before/after the summer heat, you're lookin' at anywhere from 1800-2800 DA averages.

If you want to hook at that track, you must race on a day that they are having points/$$$ events, and make some time runs between rounds, otherwise your normal Friday night test n' tune is really just an import night w/NO prep. Advantage: the track is close for most on the North side.

Silver Dollar Raceway in Renolds, GA. www.silverdollarraceway.com is about two hours South of Atlanta. Grass pits, not as nice as ADW, but generally hooks, and has a much lower DA. I usually go .002 and 4-5 mph quicker there than Commerce.

Also there's Dallas Dragway in Dallas, GA. 1/8th mile track. Never run it but am told it's a fairly qwik track.

Sorry 'bout the noval.... got carried away..... hope it helped-
Old 09-22-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

if u get down south GA theres a track in cecil its concret they have huge show there its great i go to test n tune every friday... its called south georgia motorsports they have a site u can look up on...
Old 09-22-2005, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, thanks for all the detailed responses Especially "LowETz"

A lot to think about here. I got into this topic because of my pure misery of living in S. FL. and my marriage and career is starting to suffer from it. My attitude is taking a **** from dealing with all the crap down here.

Traffic here is not dense, but it is pure danger. Here in Palm Beach County, it's basically every man for himself. The mix of aggresssive and hostile NY drivers, old old old retirees, a high immigrant (unlicensed and uninsured) driver percentage, and ZERO traffic enforcement (people blow red lights in front of cops, no ticket) makes me stay home. I was never a home-body person, but now I am. Car insurance rates reflect this bad mix.

As far as the climate, the summers are long and they suck ***. I understand that GA is similar, but not 6 months long.....right?! And I want to experience 4 seasons-never have before.

Crime here is bad, so I am pretty immune to the situation, but I do want to be in *safer* place. No place is safe-I know, but I like to be with better odds.

I am also tired of ugly flat scenery. There's is no eye appeal whatsoever here. (Except g-strings on South Beach.) I like views and mountains.

My wife has somethin up her sleeve which may save our marriage, because at this rate, it ain't gonna last down here. We're renting a mountain cabin up in Blue Ridge in Oct., and she said to take more time off from work to "look around GA..." This tells me she finally may be open to leaving this shithole, because she likes it here

As far as the racing scene, I will make the best out of it wherever I end up. I wish I could give you guys more specifics, but right now it is totally up in the air. I do know this...we can walk away with ~300k if we sell our house now. So a killer house would be awesome if I can afford one with some of this cash.

Thanks again to all, I will be on here to share my progress. And hey, is there still that "southern hospitality" in GA? And I do girls with the southern accent
Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's still pretty good here, but you missed the "great" times. About 4 years ago, everybody and their brother had a Camaro/TA/Mustang. Big meets every weekend, street racing all night long. Those were the good ole days.

Still some fellas doin their thing. BLKWS6, ssrallyred, smallwood, LowEtz, etc...All still have their cars, and meet up @ Hooters occasionally (except LowEtz he's at home polishing his walker).

Overall Georgia is a great state to live in. Gas is cheap...err cheaper...cost of living is dirt cheap compared to the rest of the world, the weather is pretty stable (no real natural disasters) and if you're not inside the perimeter traffic really isn't that bad. You can get to anywhere in the ATL area in about an hour with decent traffic.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LowETz
Cost of living is really not bad comparitively speaking. Gas is(was)generally on the low side of the national average before Katrina. Food is food.... Real Estate is a deal compared to where I'm from. My current house would go for approx. $150k MORE in the DC metro area(where I'm from)than what I paid here.

The different areas will differ in real estate pricing. Same house I'm in would prolly go for $20k less on the South side. IMO... the North side is a bit more affluent, and seems there are more opportunities for jobs/career growth.

Traffic SUCKS everywhere. PERIOD. Bring your cd case, Advil, a cool drink, and a good auto insurance policy w/you if you plan on anything more than a 20 mile commute(which btw IS good for a 45-90 minute session in rush hour traffic..... which btw.... does not end.)

Crime. Hhmm... just like any other major metropolitan city. It's here too. Mainly the wanna be bad *** thugs and their gangs who like to shoot each other. Lot's of gang related grafitty/activity in Gwinnett, Cobb, and DeKalb counties, but have never personally had any "problems".

Folks are generally friendly.... there are spuratic/iscolated incidents of road rage, but usually nothing an invitation to a severe *** whooping won't remedy. Have had a few instances of folks losing their common sense and having to "remind" them it would be in their best interest to get BACK in the car and STFU.

Weather: Just as hot as Florida in the summer months. Not as warm as Florida in the Winter months. It does get cold.... but unless you work outside everyday(like me).... you'll only notice it in your heating bill and to/from the car.

And last but not least: RACING

As already stated, you've got some choices. On the North side of the Perimeter(285)up 85N you've got Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, GA. www.atlantadragway.com A very nice facillity.... NHRA sanctioned. DA is usually on the high side so unless you get lucky at hit it on a cool/low humidity day before/after the summer heat, you're lookin' at anywhere from 1800-2800 DA averages.

If you want to hook at that track, you must race on a day that they are having points/$$$ events, and make some time runs between rounds, otherwise your normal Friday night test n' tune is really just an import night w/NO prep. Advantage: the track is close for most on the North side.

Silver Dollar Raceway in Renolds, GA. www.silverdollarraceway.com is about two hours South of Atlanta. Grass pits, not as nice as ADW, but generally hooks, and has a much lower DA. I usually go .002 and 4-5 mph quicker there than Commerce.

Also there's Dallas Dragway in Dallas, GA. 1/8th mile track. Never run it but am told it's a fairly qwik track.

Sorry 'bout the noval.... got carried away..... hope it helped-

Damn Mike that is a well thought out summeray Props
Old 09-23-2005, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

The fact that you guys took the time to post well-thought-out messages says a lot.

You really are a friendly bunch, aren't you...!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

We can be every now and then
Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out www.GAFBA.com once you get down here.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
Traffic here is not dense, but it is pure danger. Here in Palm Beach County, it's basically every man for himself. The mix of aggresssive and hostile NY drivers, old old old retirees, a high immigrant (unlicensed and uninsured) driver percentage, and ZERO traffic enforcement (people blow red lights in front of cops, no ticket) makes me stay home. I was never a home-body person, but now I am. Car insurance rates reflect this bad mix.
I wouldn't move near Atlanta if you are wanting to get away from bad traffic.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

....tell anybody and we'll kill ya
Old 09-23-2005, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

LOL....no moving into more congestion is not on the agenda.

And y'alls secrets are good with me.

(Did I say that right?)
Old 09-23-2005, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by infinitebird
I wouldn't move near Atlanta if you are wanting to get away from bad traffic.
..and several other reasons. Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Augusta beat ATL in all catagories! And Reynolds is only 40 miles away from Columbus!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

The fact that you guys took the time to post well-thought-out messages says a lot.

HUH!! Is he talking about the Atlanta group????
Old 09-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Launching!

It's better in the Mtns and them FBods lov them curvy roads!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by TazmanSS
Darn right! And Crime? Traffic? What's that? lol
Old 09-24-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TazmanSS

What he said. Nice curves, good air and a 1/4 mile track and Road Atlanta within easy driving distance. What could be better!!

Quick Reply: Georgia LS1-FBod Scene...?