Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Need help quick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help quick!!!

So, me and a couple of friends bought a kegerator. However, we are having some issues. So I need the help of a kegerator expert.

Here's the deal, the beer pours a little too fast, and is about 75% head. The CO2 is between 10-12 psi as recommended, the temp inside the kegerator is 38 degrees give or take 1 or 2 at any given moment. The keg has been at rest in the kegerator for almost 20 hours now, so it isn't unsettled. There are no kinks in the lines. And the beer flowing through the clear hose going to the tap looks right. Not filled with foam or anything.

So what in the world could the problem be? We have tried adjusting the temperature, the CO2 levels, basically everything we can think of. And the case of the foamy beer hasn't been solved.

Any help would be much appreciated, because dammit I'm thirsty.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL @ this thread. Ahh the difficult problems in life.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Hey, this is no joking matter!!!! This is VERY serious. . .lol

But for real, anyone have any idea. I wanna drink my damn keg beer tonight!!!! And out of my kegerator!!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

The World Famous Adam B? How dare you get a keg and not inform me??? just kidding if you haven't already fixed this problem i will gladly help you get rid of it haha.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Wheres Travass when you need him. Jerry you can chime in to I'm sure
Old 01-31-2007, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adamB
So, me and a couple of friends bought a kegerator. However, we are having some issues. So I need the help of a kegerator expert.

Here's the deal, the beer pours a little too fast, and is about 75% head. The CO2 is between 10-12 psi as recommended, the temp inside the kegerator is 38 degrees give or take 1 or 2 at any given moment. The keg has been at rest in the kegerator for almost 20 hours now, so it isn't unsettled. There are no kinks in the lines. And the beer flowing through the clear hose going to the tap looks right. Not filled with foam or anything.

So what in the world could the problem be? We have tried adjusting the temperature, the CO2 levels, basically everything we can think of. And the case of the foamy beer hasn't been solved.

Any help would be much appreciated, because dammit I'm thirsty.
How long is the beer line? For a balanced system, the line needs to be about 5 feet. If it's a short line, that could be the cause of the foam (even if you don't see foam in the line). I set my CO2 to 10 psi. Do you just pour straight into the glass or do you tilt the glass? Is the line fully secured where it attaches to the tap? Could it be sucking in some air at that point causing the foam? It's always possible that the keg is over carbonated.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Banned

^^^ Good idea...

Pm... 02 WS6 TA

He's the resident beer expert. ~Joshua
Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAWK915
How long is the beer line? For a balanced system, the line needs to be about 5 feet. If it's a short line, that could be the cause of the foam (even if you don't see foam in the line). I set my CO2 to 10 psi. Do you just pour straight into the glass or do you tilt the glass? Is the line fully secured where it attaches to the tap? Could it be sucking in some air at that point causing the foam? It's always possible that the keg is over carbonated.

I knew you would see this and chime in! I already PMed the guy telling him to contact you Mike

BTW, when is the next homebrew party?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HAWK915

What he said. I always used a 6' line, that does wonders to reduce head pressure.
Also, over carbonation is a common problem with Miller products. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
I knew you would see this and chime in! I already PMed the guy telling him to contact you Mike

BTW, when is the next homebrew party?
I was thinking sometime in March.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

UPDATE:

On the first keg, we ended up dropping the pressure to 3psi. With occasional bleeding of the CO2 pressure we were able to get a decent pour. I think that the keg got too saturated with CO2.

On this keg, we are running about 4 psi, and not running into so many problems, but it still gets a little foamy here and there.

I am thinking the line length might be a problem. I think the line is in the 4 foot neighborhood. Also, I am wondering if maybe the regulator is just bad.

To troubleshoot, I was thinking of replacing the line first, since that is obviously the cheapest part. Then, if that doesn't fix getting a good regulator.

What do you think?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

UPDATE:

On the first keg, we ended up dropping the pressure to 3psi. With occasional bleeding of the CO2 pressure we were able to get a decent pour. I think that the keg got too saturated with CO2.

On this keg, we are running about 4 psi, and not running into so many problems, but it still gets a little foamy here and there.

I am thinking the line length might be a problem. I think the line is in the 4 foot neighborhood. Also, I am wondering if maybe the regulator is just bad.

To troubleshoot, I was thinking of replacing the line first, since that is obviously the cheapest part. Then, if that doesn't fix getting a good regulator.

What do you think?

Change the line first since it would be the cheapest thing to do. Are you using a really old regulator? Try all of the other stuff first before changing out the big parts. I think the getting a longer beer line is going to help a lot.

Is this for commercial kegs or homebrew?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

We got the Avanti Kegerator from Best Buy. It was only like $500, so we figured why not. The regulator is new, but from what we have read, the regulators tend to be shitty on those. Of course, what do you expect when you get a kegerator that cheap from a place like Best Buy.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

We got the Avanti Kegerator from Best Buy. It was only like $500, so we figured why not. The regulator is new, but from what we have read, the regulators tend to be shitty on those. Of course, what do you expect when you get a kegerator that cheap from a place like Best Buy.
Cool man. I'm not familiar with the pre-made kegerators sold at the store. Good luck with it!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Well, as far as pre-made kegerators go, this is the cheapest they come. Notorious for having cheap regulators. However, bang for the buck, not to shabby. Other than the foam problem, we have had no problems. Everything went together great.

We were gonna just build a kegerator, but we are a little impatient, lol.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
What he said. I always used a 6' line, that does wonders to reduce head pressure.
Also, over carbonation is a common problem with Miller products. Ask me how I know.

We knew that you knew ... MY HERO ... the beer swillin beach god has spoken... the 6 foot hose is for HIGH PERFORMANCE BEER CONSUMPTION ... ...

Quick Reply: Need help quick!!!