Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

nascar technical institute

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nascar technical institute

does anybody go to school there? or know anybody who does?

I am planning on getting out of the Marine Corps after this enslistment and move to Mooresville, NC to go to school there. I'd like to know how it set people up career wise and other information. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

I go to UTI in Orlando, FL. Have some friends that go to NTI but havent talked to them in forever.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM

I am planning on getting out of the Marine Corps after this enslistment and move to Mooresville, NC to go to school there. I'd like to know how it set people up career wise and other information. Thanks.

My school is deffinitely not all its cracked up to be the knowledge they teach you is very general to give you a strong foundation of how things work but i have heard the after school programs such as Ford F.A.C.T. is much more in depth and really strong with helping you get better with electrical, and MSAT programs actually like to see kids who go through elective programs like ford or nissan.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be going there in August, actually. It seems to be a very well-run place when I took the tour about a month ago. Everything is very clean and they didn't take and shortcuts to get the best possible tools/equpment/vehicles/etc. I can't vouche for how in depth they go with the teaching, but while I was there there was a lot of cool stuff (chassis dyno, engine dyno, race cars that the students build themselves...). I am planning to take the NASCAR program. Not to get involved in NASCAR, but rather just to get a background of motorsports and hopefully get involved in a road-racing team (Le Mans maybe? ) But yeah, lemme know when you get up there. It's nice to know a few more people in a town where you know no one.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm here right now. I was gonna be graduating next Friday but decided to take the Ford program cause I'm trying to get in an MSAT with either Porsche or BMW. The core side of things is very general but teaches a good bit if you didn't know much coming in. If you can stick it out through core it makes the NASCAR portion worth it. But I've been here since February of last year and after this much time it just gets really monotinous and I'm just ready to be done.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I finished UTI in Orlando October of last year... I enjoyed the school for the most part. I met a kid in town here that "graduated" from NTI and I don't know how that ************ finds his way home at night. I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Armageddon
I finished UTI in Orlando October of last year... I enjoyed the school for the most part. I met a kid in town here that "graduated" from NTI and I don't know how that ************ finds his way home at night. I'll leave it at that.
I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately they'll let most anybody in, so there's a bunch of idiots up here that give the ones of us that actually know something a bad name.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

i graduated from NTI rite after ^ yrone started. like he said, if u can make it through core, or if you dont have much knowledge about cars (core is great). but if u make it past and move on to FACT or NASCAR you will really learn a lot.
if your looking into going the dealership rout, FACT or some sort of M-SAT will do wonders at finding a job. i took FACT and roger (the job finder) helped me nonstop untill i found the job i wanted. i finally ended up at Hickory Automotive Group in hickory NC. its a "multi" brand dealership. they sell Porscha, Cadilac, Volvo, VW, and Lincoln. the service manager is on the board at NTI and highers a lot of NTI students.plus the shop is extra clean and the people who work their are awesome. i work with a guy i was in school with at nti the whole way through and i also work with a former teacher from NTI who tought me.

let me know if ya have any questions!

ryan
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

What are your career goals?
If you are wanting a job in Nascar, NTI is not the school to go to.
If you are wanting a job at a dealership, NTI is the school to go to.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

im scheduled to start june 25, 2007. im currently in highschool but im graduating the 18 of may. ima leave for mooresville on the 8th of june so i can find a place to stay and a job.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

when u planning on starting or getting in??
Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Launching!

down the road, like january 2010...

Id like to learn a lot more and have the skills to be a mechanic. Eventually i want to work on a mechanic team for a pit crew for nascar or NHRA or along those lines.

I want to do performance, prefer to be on a team. I have a lot to learn, i just did a torque converter today so pulling a transmission is the farthest on difficulty i have gotten so far...unless you count the opti on an LT1 that was rough.

I DO NOT want to end up at a toyota dealership down the road but if i had to work at chevy i guess i could go that route, as long as the pay is good enough.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Launching!

do you guys reccomend another school?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

if you want to save some money, some comunity colleges have really good programs.
but as far as getting on a pit crew team, its not really the school you go to, its how many people you KNOW.
then again, if you want to learn to fabricate, the NASCAR side is a good choice at NTI.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Launching!

NTI is in a really good location for that too it seems...
Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

do you guys reccomend another school?
http://www.bobbyisaacmotorsports.com.../introfrm.html

You need to do your research though. The people that do the "work" (fabricators, welders, etc....) do not make that much money.

However, I worked at a tire & auto garage for a while & they had a Master Certified ASE Mechanic that makes close to $70k a year.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked for Nissan for nearly a year. The money isn't bad, but it's hell on your body. I'm 6'5 260 and picking up wheel/tire pairs all day long will do a number on you. Driveability guys do pretty well... Not to mention I like the challenge.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Also look into WyoTech, Lincoln Tech, or VC Tech.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Its good if you know you want to work on cars the rest of your life, I know a few guys that went there and they said that its all what you take it for, you could roll through it and slack off and not learn a thing or really take the time to learn everything and get ALOT out of it.
The downfall is you just get a certificate, no degree. opposed to going to a community college you will earn an associates degree in automotive, so if you ever want to go back to school (4 yr. batchlors degree) you will already have your core classes out b/c its an actual degree.

I just say this b/c I know someone who went though NTI, and 3 months after graduating from it decided he didnt wanna work on cars anymore, now not only did he pretty much waste $25,000 but he has to start back at square one b/c that "certificate" pretty much is useless for any job that isnt automotive related
Old 05-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Launching!

but as far as getting on a pit crew team, its not really the school you go to, its how many people you KNOW.
This is very true. A guy I worked with went to some tryouts for pit crew members with someone he knew about 2 yrs ago. Now he works for one of Dale Jr's Busch team.

Quick Reply: nascar technical institute