Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Stolen F-bodies Inside:

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

95CamZ I hear where ya comin' from. The thing is, though, that this is a legitimate problem that has included a number of F-Bodies in the double digits, if I'm correct on that fact. Hell, this entire thread alone, simply printed out and presented, along with the documened lack of action by NOPD, could be a big enough course of action. I'd think that the FBI is entirely fed up with FEMA fraud cases and would like a bonafide sting operation in southern LA, hehehe...
Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FST-Z
95CamZ I hear where ya comin' from. The thing is, though, that this is a legitimate problem that has included a number of F-Bodies in the double digits, if I'm correct on that fact. Hell, this entire thread alone, simply printed out and presented, along with the documened lack of action by NOPD, could be a big enough course of action. I'd think that the FBI is entirely fed up with FEMA fraud cases and would like a bonafide sting operation in southern LA, hehehe...
Lmao great point! I know i would feel the same!! Try to PM blake with the idea because he is basically the organizer of this whole thing and i'm sure he will take steps toward doing so!!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default dddd

The sad part is... I wouldn't be surprised if someone/somepeopele in NOPD were involved in this as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tee-boy
The sad part is... I wouldn't be surprised if someone/somepeopele in NOPD were involved in this as well.
I wouldnt put it past them for one second neither!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be interesting to know the percentage of total vehicles stolen in the area that are actually F-bodies compared to the percentage nationwide.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

I looked on the FBI website and they do investigate car theft rings. It says so in plain text on their site!
Everyone subscribed or viewing this thread please go to www.fbi.gov and submit a crime tip on their website. If enough of us band together we may see some action.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Internet Brands

Internet Brands
Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Have ya'll seen the news tonight?? They busted a theft ring in Baton Rouge. 9 or 10 guys had stolen around 60 cars. The guys moved here after Katrina....Not sure if these are the F-body thieves, but at least they are off the street (for now).
UPDATE......They had someone on the inside at a dealership cutting keys according to US attorney David Dugas. He has asked dealerships to tighten up their internal controls and do background checks on employees.

Also the number to call with any info into the matter is 225-291-5159. Hope this helps. Andy

Last edited by snake hunter; 01-22-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i covered my vin the other day bc of this thread.....im glad yall are giving the heads up to everyone.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

FBI bugged a warehouse in Gonzales, LA., and discovered a crime operation covering half the Gulf Coast. The FBI, along with Louisiana law enforcement, busted a stolen car ring on Tuesday that started in Louisiana but fanned out across three states.
Looks like www.wdsu.com has a video too on this, cross your fingers??

Car Theft Ring Investigation Nearing Its Closure

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 12:54 PM CST
Updated: Jan 22, 2008 01:47 PM CST
U.S. Attorney David Dugas

54 stolen cars have been found. Six men have already been indicted in connection with the crimes and two are locked up. U.S. Attorney David Dugas says it's a two-year investigation that's coming to a close.
The men moved to Baton Rouge after Hurricane Katrina, and according to the U.S. attorney, were stealing cars from dealerships in Baton Rouge, Houma, Houston, and Hattiesburg, Mississippi. They simply switched the VIN numbers and sold them.
"Using the services of car dealership employee in Baton Rouge who participated in the conspiracy that would go onto the General Motors database using the car dealership code and get the code to cut a replacement key," Dugas says.
Police believe more stolen cars are out there and they are looking for two other men that were allegedly involved. The 54 stolen cars have a $1.6 million price tag.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 PM

this wasnt the people that are stealing the cars my friend had hs 35th camaro stolen at 3.30am last night off the west bank a few miles from avondale
Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

hopefully its the same people that stole my bbq pit last year.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yo stangeater, your fquick link should read:
http://www.fquick.com/stangeater01

try that...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 PM

will i ever get it right
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stangeater01
this wasnt the people that are stealing the cars my friend had hs 35th camaro stolen at 3.30am last night off the west bank a few miles from avondale
Damn!! That sucks how everyones hard work gets pissed down the drain by a bunch of skumbags with no life!! And the worst part is they can do it with such ease!!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Latest in alarm technology.

I will now introduce you all to the latest investment.

GSM alarm systems. Basically turns your car into a cell phone. You can up to the minute track the vehicle on google earth map, control the vehicle via telephone. (e.g. start car, lock/unlock, activate panic, disable the car)

you can set global parameters for the vehicle. If it goes outside a desired area the alarm activates and calls up to 4 programmable phone numbers and deactivates all vehicle functions. Even if your car is towed away, once it goes out of the specified range the alarm will activate!

secondary and third resource power optional. (try to cut power and there are back ups )

only down side is that you pretty much have to have a seperate cell phone media plan or package. Go to Cingular (at&t) or T-mobile for a cheap media plan or a basic phone plan with unlimited text messaging. put the SIM card in the alarm head unit or "brain" and do some simple programming. Viola!

some systems come with microphones and speakers so you can use your car as a cell phone as well. There are different brands of these alarms but you get the jist of it.

here is a link to one.

GSM ALARM
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Yeah right.

Originally Posted by Blake @ FMS
Latest in alarm technology.

I will now introduce you all to the latest investment.

GSM alarm systems. Basically turns your car into a cell phone. You can up to the minute track the vehicle on google earth map, control the vehicle via telephone. (e.g. start car, lock/unlock, activate panic, disable the car)

you can set global parameters for the vehicle. If it goes outside a desired area the alarm activates and calls up to 4 programmable phone numbers and deactivates all vehicle functions. Even if your car is towed away, once it goes out of the specified range the alarm will activate!

secondary and third resource power optional. (try to cut power and there are back ups )

only down side is that you pretty much have to have a seperate cell phone media plan or package. Go to Cingular (at&t) or T-mobile for a cheap media plan or a basic phone plan with unlimited text messaging. put the SIM card in the alarm head unit or "brain" and do some simple programming. Viola!

some systems come with microphones and speakers so you can use your car as a cell phone as well. There are different brands of these alarms but you get the jist of it.

here is a link to one.

GSM ALARM
Yeah right.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tee-boy
Yeah right.
no actually it's quite feasible (sp?) I've viewed schematics on how to build a homebrew one and read up on the functionality of them as well as writing firmware for their operation.

Think of it as a cell phone because that is essentially what they are. they use a GSM network GPS processor and wire it into a car alarm. Cell phones operate on DC voltage systems and so do cars, so there is no need for voltage converters. Only a few small step down transistors to bring the 12v car system down to the 2-4v cell phone system.

Basic break down, it sends vehicle commands via text message styled media files. Each operation is attached to a code, these codes are deciphered via the traditional computer binary language and performs a function.

GPS is basically triangulation of 3 satellites and their geometric relations to one another and the GPS device. The same can be done with cell phone towers, which is cheaper per message transaction. However if there are no cell phone towers around it uses traditional satellite. The same way cellular phone customers are found if they dial 911....

lets say the binary code to unlock the doors is 11001001.(for sake of simplicity, the actual codes are far more complicated) A gsm text message is sent 11001011 to the phone number registered to the SIM card. When the unit receives the binary code it uses it's firmware programming to supply a voltage source to the wire going to the power locks.

The reason you need a plan with good text messaging is because you can set the number of transmissions sent via GSM to email or google. If you want real-time tracking, edit the firmware code for updates every X amount of seconds. The smaller the value of X the more streaming tracking.... but it also means more text messages. a GSM text to a google account with longitude and latitude slightly tweaked with a mathematical equation indicates a location on the map.

Similar processes for other functions.

You can literally control car functions from anyplace you can make a call. Imagine starting your car from the other side of the country. There are also guys on Electrical engineering sites that have rigged video transmitters to their homemade boxes. They can see and hear exactly what is going on at all times with a memory as large as you want to equip it with. Someone steal your car 2 days ago while you were in Vegas? log on to google/ firmware application and know exactly what went down! While I'm only a Mechanical Engineer, even I can understand these circuits! And if I get lost in a program, I have EE buddies

Last edited by Theblueone; 01-25-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey guys my gf's stepdad said that he saw my car today on N. Claiborne but couldn't get to it in time. He said it had the LE stripes in the back, The polished ZR1 rims, and my magnaflow exhaust. How many LE's have that same setup in SE louisiana? ONE AND ITS MINE!!!!!! He said the put a big cowl induction hood on it and painted it to match, but it dosen't have the :E stripes on the hood. IT dosen't have a license plate so hopefully a cop will stop them. I called NOPD and they said the have the police report of it getting stolen but they cant make a report bc i wasnt in NO at the time, bunch of BS. I told her that i feel like the only thing i can do is go out and look for the car myself bc they arent going to do anything, IDK what to do. Im just happy its not torn apart yet and they might get caught.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stangeater01
will i ever get it right
membersearch=username&sfor=stangeater01&miles=0&zi p=&search=user&x=92&y=15[/url]
No, not yet, just copy / paste this just has it is, nothing more...

DELETE anything else after the "1"...

Quick Reply: Stolen F-bodies Inside: