Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Columbus, GA

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk238
craig, you need to stop trying to sell my parts! lmao
See man, you let the cat out of the bag.

I'm going to pick up the new project today maybe Tuesday or as soon as this dude pays me for his brake job. I got that guys 32' ford running like a sewing machine on Saturday. He said that he could never power brake the car until now. It was cool to see him so happy about his car after 7 years of building that hot rod. It felt pretty good watching him drive it down the road knowing I tune it. He also said that he would refer me to his hot rod friends, so the money should be rolling in soon.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm starting to grasp this tuning stuff, or at least get a better understanding. I need to learn alittle more about adjusting the maf. From what I gather, once you kill ol/cl and set your target afr, you log it. Once logged you check afr and if it's off then you calibrate the maf. Going to do some more research since the book doesn't go in depth there. Thinking about doing some things to the truck here soon, mainly kill torque management. At least now I am looking forward to tuning the car. Would really help if I could see a few cars get tuned.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sheikss
I'm starting to grasp this tuning stuff, or at least get a better understanding. I need to learn alittle more about adjusting the maf. From what I gather, once you kill ol/cl and set your target afr, you log it. Once logged you check afr and if it's off then you calibrate the maf. Going to do some more research since the book doesn't go in depth there. Thinking about doing some things to the truck here soon, mainly kill torque management. At least now I am looking forward to tuning the car. Would really help if I could see a few cars get tuned.
Glad to see your doing your homework on that tuning stuff. The more you do it the more it makes sense.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mean the more he does the less work for you!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

this may seem like a stupid question but, does the TSP Y-pipe fit through the same hanger/bracket as the stock y-pipe does? i'm assuming so since you are supposed to be able to hook it up to your stock exhaust, but just thought i'd ask to be sure.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier
this may seem like a stupid question but, does the TSP Y-pipe fit through the same hanger/bracket as the stock y-pipe does? i'm assuming so since you are supposed to be able to hook it up to your stock exhaust, but just thought i'd ask to be sure.
I am not for sure, shoot them an email and tell them to send a pic of their new y pipe too.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, I sent a big pm to Dan at masport since he wrote the book I bought asking for some clarification on this maf calibration/scaling stuff. I also don't understand why we modify the adaptive fuel modifiers when were in "forced open loop" and then once the vehicle is completely tuned we change them back to stock. How is the car going to hit it's targeted afr when this is set to stock. What does your afr read at idle on your car Craig? The afr will vary as the car gets to operating temp correct? Like cold=rich hot=target afr (ex. 12.5:1). Or will it shoot for 12.5 from the get go?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Grease, you are planning on buying a stall for that car correct?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

yes i am, it's part of "stage 2" of my build. along with the tranny cooler and a shift kit
Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

here are some photos of sheik's hooptie. lmao

Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Teching In

So, I sent a big pm to Dan at masport since he wrote the book I bought asking for some clarification on this maf calibration/scaling stuff. I also don't understand why we modify the adaptive fuel modifiers when were in "forced open loop" and then once the vehicle is completely tuned we change them back to stock. How is the car going to hit it's targeted afr when this is set to stock. What does your afr read at idle on your car Craig? The afr will vary as the car gets to operating temp correct? Like cold=rich hot=target afr (ex. 12.5:1). Or will it shoot for 12.5 from the get go?
It all depends on how cold the ambient air is at start up, but yes the ECM will shoot for the target AFR at the specific temp. My cars AFR at start up is about 12.7:1, but after 1 to 2 minutes later it's already around 14.0:1. So by the time it's fully warmed up 14.7:1 is achieved. Like I said, ambient temps has a lot to do with it.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So it is using the open loop f/a vs coolant temp vs map table then.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

okay guys...i've got it figured out....running open headers ruins the O2 sensors and can cause the computer to push more fuel because it reads the fresh air from just outside the collectors....to resolve this i was just going to put on a TSP ORY....however....i read about a couple of guys that installed dynomax bullets right to the collectors...soo....i'm gonna do that. just clamp some bullets onto my headers....maybe add a couple of turn-downs....and viola!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier
okay guys...i've got it figured out....running open headers ruins the O2 sensors and can cause the computer to push more fuel because it reads the fresh air from just outside the collectors....to resolve this i was just going to put on a TSP ORY....however....i read about a couple of guys that installed dynomax bullets right to the collectors...soo....i'm gonna do that. just clamp some bullets onto my headers....maybe add a couple of turn-downs....and viola!
That's what I did, but I used slp loudmouths instead. I ran those for two months before I got my true duals setup. It sounded like crap but it was just a temporary setup so I didn't care lol.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Jerrame, looks like your car is coming along nicely. It looks sexy lol.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Slowly but surely, can't wait for it to be finished. The only crappy part is having to store it and the 00 when I am on the road. If I end up going to carolina for 18 months then I will cancel the apartment lease and stockpile money to get a house. I want to be able to put enough back to be able to build a good size 2 car shop if I get a house.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tj1986c
That's what I did, but I used slp loudmouths instead. I ran those for two months before I got my true duals setup. It sounded like crap but it was just a temporary setup so I didn't care lol.
lol. yeah, i'm not really worried about how it sounds as long as it performs. eventually I will probably go TD and reuse the bullets, but for now I'm on a tight budget.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you go duals in the future grease, I would suggest sticking with 2 1/2" or 2 3/4". I an getting rid of the duals do to the fact that they are killing the floorboard and torque. There have been several people on tech that have gone from duals to a y and single pipe and picked up power. If you can get 7 feet of 3" pipe I will drive you to Atlanta to a shop that can bend it to help you out. I just feel that on a h/c/i 346 that 3" duals are to much. Try to come up with a hanger system for those bullets too. I would not be shocked if hanging bullets only would cause just enough stress on those hookers to cause problems. At least with duals you have a legitimate excuse to pull the radio and speakers.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

If you go duals in the future grease, I would suggest sticking with 2 1/2" or 2 3/4". I an getting rid of the duals do to the fact that they are killing the floorboard and torque. There have been several people on tech that have gone from duals to a y and single pipe and picked up power. If you can get 7 feet of 3" pipe I will drive you to Atlanta to a shop that can bend it to help you out. I just feel that on a h/c/i 346 that 3" duals are to much. Try to come up with a hanger system for those bullets too. I would not be shocked if hanging bullets only would cause just enough stress on those hookers to cause problems. At least with duals you have a legitimate excuse to pull the radio and speakers.
I appreciate the offer as well as the advice. i also read a couple of threads about this topic and it seemed to me that the general concensus was that back pressure wasn't really needed for the LS1. but the proof is in the numbers and they don't lie so....
Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey craig, you still alive? havent heard from you in days...

Quick Reply: Columbus, GA