Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Columbus, GA

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig, got the pics.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

So i'm dying to get my car to the track. I wanted to go to see what it ran stock, but i've already put the Lid on and so far that's it. If my coolant lines and gaskets come in this week i'll probably put my LS6 intake and ported TB on as well this coming weekend. So I won't be completely stock but I'd still like to run the car. I think I have like a 3 or 4-day the weekend of Apr. 2nd so I'm thinking of going that Friday. this Fri. they have the "NITTO TIRE NMRA PEACH STATE NATIONALS" going on so no dice there. Anybody interested in going next friday?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier
I think I have like a 3 or 4-day the weekend of Apr. 2nd so I'm thinking of going that Friday. this Fri. they have the "NITTO TIRE NMRA PEACH STATE NATIONALS" going on so no dice there. Anybody interested in going next friday?
What drag strip are you referring to, Silver Dollar which is 40 minutes away, or the sorry track in Phenix city? I was planning on going to Silver Dollar next Friday because it is a better track and plus a 1/4 mile oppose to the local track in Phenix city which is 1/8 mile track with horrible track prep on Friday nights due to the street tire cars. But anyway if you are up to going to Silver Dollar then come along otherwise you'll be wasting your time going to Phenix city. I also heard good things about Montgomery but have never been.

Last edited by zz17iroc; 03-22-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to see you made it back to posting craig! when i get back, weather permitting, we will go down to montgomery and check it out. ive heard good things about it as well. im sure we will be able to drag sheik along too
Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firehawk238
glad to see you made it back to posting craig! when i get back, weather permitting, we will go down to montgomery and check it out. ive heard good things about it as well. im sure we will be able to drag sheik along too
Well was home for lunch and figured I say something. Just got of work and planning on going to your storage to pick up the LM1 and drop some boxes off. It's boring around here.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

lol....actually i was talking about Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, GA i didn't know there were any closer other than Phenix City and i have heard bad things about that track. But Silver Dollar sounds good to me. What is their schedule like?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

saweet! sucks you are bored though.....
Old 03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Teching In

lol....actually i was talking about Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, GA i didn't know there were any closer other than Phenix City and i have heard bad things about that track. But Silver Dollar sounds good to me. What is their schedule like?
Yeah man, Reynolds is 50 miles away which takes us about 45 minutes to get there doing 65-70 mph just crusin which means no speeding tickets. Here is there website. www.silverdollarraceway.com

Their track is always prepped well no matter what type of cars are running, but T-n-T or grudge racing is every Friday night with gates opening at 6pm until 11pm. Hopefully I should have my other tire because I just noticed my drag radials are showing the beads when I took them off Saturday.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

yeah I'm not sure if i'm going to put my DR's on yet. My funds are a little shorter than I had anticipated so I'm probably going to have to hold off a couple of months on my Moser 12-bolt.....and I can't afford to blow out the stock 10-bolt right now so I'm probably going to hold off on putting the DR's on and just run the tires that are on there now. They suck but atleast i'll keep my rear end...lol
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I'll be down for going to mont. I have been there before for a super chevy show that was horrible. I already told the old lady I want to go to G14 in may so I got that on my schedule unless I leave early for bliss. Just want to get the car tore apart and put togather. Definetly got alot to do on the car.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, called mufflex, they don't make a y-pipe for kooks headers. Got ahold of kooks and they make a y with a 4" outlet, they want $495 for it. Looks like it will be awhile before the 97 see's a 4".
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

oh, luke, by the way, there is alos 1993 firehawk #0002 with around 1500 miles on it there in the columbus area, and there was a red 99 hawk owned by a guy named Ian that works at the steak n shake over there by the main post office. there are a few around, but not very common to see. last i knew ian was trying to sell his so it may not be there anymore.
I thought the guy at Steak out traded his Hawk in? There was a 99 red 6/speed at Jay automall about 2 months ago for $9,900...had 80,??? miles on it.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

yeah I'm not sure if i'm going to put my DR's on yet. My funds are a little shorter than I had anticipated so I'm probably going to have to hold off a couple of months on my Moser 12-bolt.....and I can't afford to blow out the stock 10-bolt right now so I'm probably going to hold off on putting the DR's on and just run the tires that are on there now. They suck but atleast i'll keep my rear end...lol
Hey Grease...I use to launch my 96 ss with a 3600 stall with slicks and never had a problem out of the 10 bolt. Had a window switch set at 3200 rpm's for a 150 shot, ran it for a few years and never blew the 10 bolt. Couldn't run drag radials, I would just smoke the **** out of them. Just saying that I wouldn't worry too much with a automatic.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

That's good to know. I would like to put them on seeings how the tires that are on the car give NO traction whatsoever. And I have read that an A4 is pretty forgiving on the rear end. Maybe I'll slap them on there then and cross my fingers, lol. I'd like to run a low 13 and the DR's would definately help.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Teching In

That's good to know. I would like to put them on seeings how the tires that are on the car give NO traction whatsoever. And I have read that an A4 is pretty forgiving on the rear end. Maybe I'll slap them on there then and cross my fingers, lol. I'd like to run a low 13 and the DR's would definately help.
Yeah you should put the DR's on. I've always considered it a waste of time to hit the track on street tires. Auto's soften the hit to the rear end because it preloads the drive train opposed to a manual which shocks the drive train. I've gone mid 10's on my 9 bolt more than I can count and never broke. Let it rip.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z51C6
I thought the guy at Steak out traded his Hawk in? There was a 99 red 6/speed at Jay automall about 2 months ago for $9,900...had 80,??? miles on it.
He must've just traded it in recently. He still had it last time I was there.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey sheik, that y pipe from kooks, does it have the flowmaster merge Y on it, or do they use the other method of joining them together? the merge Y is much more effective as far as flow is concerned.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey craig, got a question....how hard is it to assemble a set of heads? thinking of getting a set bare, and installing the valves,springs, etc. is it fairly easy or should i just have a machine shop do it? thanks man. your car sounded good in those vids from reynolds.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TABBED 5.3
hey craig, got a question....how hard is it to assemble a set of heads? thinking of getting a set bare, and installing the valves,springs, etc. is it fairly easy or should i just have a machine shop do it? thanks man. your car sounded good in those vids from reynolds.
It's pretty easy to do. All you need is a good valve spring installation tool like the one we used on your car when you installed your cam. Additional tools would be a height mic tool to measure valve install height for whatever spring and cam combo your going to use. And don't forget the spring seats and shims. That's it man, the most important thing is spring install height to prevent coil bind when valve is open.

I had a good time at Reynolds but the at the end of the runs my converter was locking at 95 mph, so that slow me down some on the big end.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey sheik, that y pipe from kooks, does it have the flowmaster merge Y on it, or do they use the other method of joining them together? the merge Y is much more effective as far as flow is concerned.
I will send you a pic.

Quick Reply: Columbus, GA