Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Camaro SS specific question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69camaross
in 1998 GM took WS6 production away from SLP and gave it ASC. SS production continued with SLP until the end of the 99 model year. For 2000-2002 unless the car got extra eqiuipment (Y2Y) it was not shipped to SLP's LeSalle Quebec facility.

I have still to this day been unable to get a straight answer from anyone at SLP or the GM f-body brand teams as to what exactly happened and how SLP was able to F up such a sweet deal. But based on their other business models I can easily see why.

Now either GM put the base WU8 SS equipment on themselves or contracted it out to another off site shop. I'll have to pull out some old magazines to get the exact info as my memory is fading on this stuff as it's been almost 10 years.

Check your cars is you have a non (Y2Y) 00-02 SS, you won't find a single "modified by SLP" decal anywhere on the car.

By the way, someone mentioned the Ultra Z hood, SLP developed that hood with the intent for it to be the SS hood for the soon to be 96 SS. There are quasar blue "Z28SS" prototype pics floating around somewhere. GM saw that and said "um.... no" and sent the designers back to the drawing board to create the 79 Z28 style scooped hood for the 96 SS.
That is not correct Dave Himself has been on here many times and stated every SS went to SLP from 98-2002.. PLease lock this thread already!!
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
That is not correct Dave Himself has been on here many times and stated every SS went to SLP from 98-2002.. PLease lock this thread already!!
Then why don't the WU8 00-02 SS cars have a government mandated "modified after production" sticker on them like the 96-99's do and also like the 00-02 Y2Y cars?
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Why lock the thread??
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

in 1998 GM took WS6 production away from SLP and gave it ASC. SS production continued with SLP until the end of the 99 model year. For 2000-2002 unless the car got extra eqiuipment (Y2Y) it was not shipped to SLP's LeSalle Quebec facility.

I have still to this day been unable to get a straight answer from anyone at SLP or the GM f-body brand teams as to what exactly happened and how SLP was able to F up such a sweet deal. But based on their other business models I can easily see why.

Now either GM put the base WU8 SS equipment on themselves or contracted it out to another off site shop. I'll have to pull out some old magazines to get the exact info as my memory is fading on this stuff as it's been almost 10 years.

Check your cars is you have a non (Y2Y) 00-02 SS, you won't find a single "modified by SLP" decal anywhere on the car.
This has already been cleared up by Dave himself. All SS's went to SLP from 1996-2002 regardless of additional SLP content. End of story regardless of what you have read on google or in a magazine.

Then why don't the WU8 00-02 SS cars have a government mandated "modified after production" sticker on them like the 96-99's do and also like the 00-02 Y2Y cars?
Couldn't tell you. For all I know they do, I've never looked.

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Why lock the thread??
I enjoy educating new people, I had no clue about these cars myself when I got mine. It was from this site I learned the facts and cleared up the rumors I had heard. Those of us that have been on tech for awhile have seen these threads and debates come up fairly often. They get old trying to educate people on the facts as opposed to what they heard from a friend or read on another website.
Old 03-10-2009 | 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Bwhahaha new? Don't let the post count fool you. I was a frequent poster on the original SLP message board in the late 90s before SLP engineering disappeared. That's where this discussion orginally started as tons of people were "pissed at GM" for scaling back SLP's involvement and SLP was all playing the victim. Ever notice that their company took a nose dive in 2000? Everyone who played an instrumental part in Firehawk and SS development, marketing, and sales jumped ship. Reg Harris and Matt Murphy to name a few.

Regardless of what Dave Hamburger says now, they may have played a "small part" in 00-02 SS WU8 production but they had their control and influence severly reduced from 00-02 unless it was a Y2Y car.

The missing "altered after production by SLP" sticker says it all. Hell there wasn't even an SLP produced SS brochure in 2000. Only year that one wasn't produced. Clue number two.

Anyways I'm finished "educating" as the information is out there for anyone to find if you know where to look.
Old 03-10-2009 | 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know what to think. I know that SLP went pretty much belly up in the 99-01 time frame. In fact I think that 2000 was the lowest number of SS's produced too.
Old 03-11-2009 | 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SLP went belly up?????!!!!!!! Odd cause slpeng.com is still selling a whole crap load of stuff for new cars and is the ONLY place you can get factory restoration parts for 1996-2002 SS camaro's, and 1994-2002 Firehawks. Odd if they went belly up why their still selling things.
Old 03-11-2009 | 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know what to think. I know that SLP went pretty much belly up in the 99-01 time frame. In fact I think that 2000 was the lowest number of SS's produced too.
Originally Posted by kain01
SLP went belly up?????!!!!!!! Odd cause slpeng.com is still selling a whole crap load of stuff for new cars and is the ONLY place you can get factory restoration parts for 1996-2002 SS camaro's, and 1994-2002 Firehawks. Odd if they went belly up why their still selling things.
Reading comprehension is good. Even Dave himself said that the company was in pretty bad financial trouble in the early 00s. They even had to shut down the websites to save money apparently.

I NEVER said they went belly up.
Old 03-11-2009 | 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Reading comprehension is good. Even Dave himself said that the company was in pretty bad financial trouble in the early 00s. They even had to shut down the websites to save money apparently.

I NEVER said they went belly up.
Well between your post and the person saying that SLP didn't do the 00-02 SS's because of losing the contract, I just wanted to clarify that they are alive and well. I mentioned earlier about having a couple of brochures from SLP on the 2002 Camaro SS options. So obviously they did them and not that ASC or whoever.
Old 03-11-2009 | 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well between your post and the person saying that SLP didn't do the 00-02 SS's because of losing the contract, I just wanted to clarify that they are alive and well. I mentioned earlier about having a couple of brochures from SLP on the 2002 Camaro SS options. So obviously they did them and not that ASC or whoever.
People are not saying SS's didn't go there at all between 00-02. All SS's that got additional SLP content, like my car, and have the Y2Y RPO code when to SLP. The argument is whether the SS's that just have the hood, spoiler, and wheels went there or not. Yes there were cars that went there between 00-02, its an argument if ALL of them went there.
Old 03-11-2009 | 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greg_74
People are not saying SS's didn't go there at all between 00-02. All SS's that got additional SLP content, like my car, and have the Y2Y RPO code when to SLP. The argument is whether the SS's that just have the hood, spoiler, and wheels went there or not. Yes there were cars that went there between 00-02, its an argument if ALL of them went there.
I remember reading an article in Camaro performers back then (wish I still had it) about all camaro's selected for SS treatment being shipped across the street to SLP for the ram air kit. Part of it being an SS is the ram air hood, and SLP made the kit. If you don't have a functional ram air hood I'm pretty sure you just have an SS lookalike and only 305/315 hp like the Z28. Not 325/335 like the SS is supposed to have.
Old 03-11-2009 | 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know this deals with Firehawks from the 95 MY but basically I think that if they did this for the Firehawks why couldnt they do it for the SSs.

Here's how a Firehawk is born: A customer orders the car through a Pontiac dealer and specifies the desired options, which includes just about any option combination available on a Formula. Then, the basic car is produced alongside regular Firebirds in GM's St. Therese, Quebec, plant and transported 10 minutes down the road to SLP's Canadian facility. There, SLP's workers replace the hood and the air induction system with a new twin-nostril hood to direct air into a low-restriction intake system.
http://motortrend.automotive.com/742...awk/index.html
Old 03-11-2009 | 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did a little search and found the RPO codes for Camaro's. WU8 was the SS power/appearance package. If it has that I'd guarantee it went to SLP. If it doesn't you have a clone regardless of any other codes on it. Y2Y was the Bilstein shock package, and has nothing to do with your car being an SS. Not trying to sound harsh, just wanting to do a little edumicating.

http://camarossworld.com/Production%20Numbers/RPO.asp
Old 03-11-2009 | 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

But WHICH SLP? The one in St Terese or the one in NJ?
Old 03-11-2009 | 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But WHICH SLP? The one in St Terese or the one in NJ?
Neither, SLP's shop was in Broisband. St. Therese is where they made the Camaro. Now once they opened the NJ facility who knows, but does it matter since it's the same SLP?

http://books.google.com/books?id=k3l...um=1&ct=result
Old 03-11-2009 | 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did a little search and found the RPO codes for Camaro's. WU8 was the SS power/appearance package. If it has that I'd guarantee it went to SLP. If it doesn't you have a clone regardless of any other codes on it. Y2Y was the Bilstein shock package, and has nothing to do with your car being an SS. Not trying to sound harsh, just wanting to do a little edumicating.

http://camarossworld.com/Production%20Numbers/RPO.asp
Y2Y is Bilstein shock package, why does Camaro Source say this then:
Y2Y SALES PACKAGE CAMARO SS DUAL LABEL

Which means SLP second sticker content. I'm not where my car is now, but I'll look at my RPO code this weekend to prove it to you because I have second sticker content but now Bilstein shocks...
Old 03-11-2009 | 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Y2Y is Bilstein shock package, why does Camaro Source say this then:
Y2Y SALES PACKAGE CAMARO SS DUAL LABEL

Which means SLP second sticker content. I'm not where my car is now, but I'll look at my RPO code this weekend to prove it to you because I have second sticker content but now Bilstein shocks...
Don't know, but GMHTP claims it is the dual/dual exhaust. I'm thinking that Y2Y just means it came from the factory with an SLP upgrade, whether it was Bilstein shocks or a CME. I'm unsure if they only put Y2Y on SS's, since you could get the cold air kits and dual/dual on your Z28's also. Can anyone else verify? BTW throw me a link to the rpo list on camaro source I can't find it. Which is why I put up the one I did.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._ss/index.html

One last thought, you could have gotten the Y2Y code if you just got the SS grill and SS floor mats.
Old 03-11-2009 | 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found this after my last post.

http://camarossworld.com/FAQ/Camaro%20SS%20FAQs/#S1.12
Old 03-11-2009 | 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't know, but GMHTP claims it is the dual/dual exhaust. I'm thinking that Y2Y just means it came from the factory with an SLP upgrade, whether it was Bilstein shocks or a CME. I'm unsure if they only put Y2Y on SS's, since you could get the cold air kits and dual/dual on your Z28's also. Can anyone else verify? BTW throw me a link to the rpo list on camaro source I can't find it. Which is why I put up the one I did.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._ss/index.html

One last thought, you could have gotten the Y2Y code if you just got the SS grill and SS floor mats.
I'm almost 100% sure you couldn't get CAI or different exhausts for the factory for Z's. You couldn't even get cold air on SS's. Thats all aftermarket stuff man.

Also, yes the Y2Y could just be floor mats, its just anything that is slp second sticker content beyond the hood, spoiler, and wheels.
Old 03-11-2009 | 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm almost 100% sure you couldn't get CAI or different exhausts for the factory for Z's. You couldn't even get cold air on SS's. Thats all aftermarket stuff man.

Also, yes the Y2Y could just be floor mats, its just anything that is slp second sticker content beyond the hood, spoiler, and wheels.
My brochure has the high flow induction system listed as an option. That makes it not aftermarket. Combined with the dual/dual exhaust it gave the SS 345 hp factory. The 1LE Bilstein setup allowed it to pull .90 g's on the skid, and all that could be had for under 33k in 02.

As for the Z's I don't know about them for certain, need to check all Z28 rpo's.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS specific question