Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

30th anniversary cars come in!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any exhaust on a LT1 is going to sound COMPLETELY different than on an LS1 because of their different firing order.

For LT1s, there is no comparison for sound and performance to the Two on the left (TOTL) that was optional on all 91-97 Firehawks and all 96-97 SS.

It has a deep muscular rumble and has been dyno proven time and time again to offer up more power even over a direct cut out.

The late 97 resonators was a stop gap fix if I remember right because GM was catching flak over the TOTL being "too loud" for a factory exhaust. I think SLP tried this cross flow muffler with resonators. But SLP also started installing the cone of silence noise reducer in the 97 TOTL as well. The resonator style was so short term that nobody really knows anything about it. My advise would be to go to firehawk.com and ask Dave Hamburger for the story on it.

For a LS1, every exhaust is going to have some level of rasp. The GMMG sounds awesome, so does the B&B Tri-flow. But.... both of those are over $700, reason why you don't seem them often. You see everybody running the cheaper Loud Mouth, Magnaflow, or Corsa, or the trash pile flowmaster.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good information.

In the end, what I am after is a video clip of a '97 SS with LT1, cats, stock manifolds, and SLP Dual-Dual exhaust starting up and idling with the camera video taping near the exhaust tips.

Ideally the car wouldn't have the resonators, but I'm not going to be that picky! A video of such doesn't exist online and I want to hear it before I decide to buy the muffler.

Quick Reply: 30th anniversary cars come in!!!!