Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

How many extra hp does a Firehawk have over the WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many extra hp does a Firehawk have over the WS6?

I made the mistake of asking at a social site vs. asking over here at LS1tech.

Anyways.. I'm trying to figure out what the difference in hp is between the two. I know that the Firehawks are more apperance than they are performance but I know they arent dead even as to what the factory rates them hp wise. Over a stock WS6 I know performance wise the Firehawk comes with a diffrent cat-back.. (the SLP Dual Dual) and it comes with an air lid. SO I was guessing at at most maybe 10-15 hp. Even the mods at the other site claim there isnt any hp difference between the two. Now that I'm asking at the right place.. what do you think?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds about right.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
sounds about right.
Yeah I dont understand how anyone with a lick of common sense can say...

More mods = same hp numbers.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've seen the SS's @ Firehawks with the 345 Package in 2002 dyno around 10 more rwhp than a comparable year base SS or WS6. This is due to the addition of the lid @ DD Catback. My 345 Car dynoed 315rwhp @ 326rwtq at 1500 miles. At the same time a 01 WS6 laid down 305rwhp @ 318rwtq bone stock with 29,000 miles on the clock. However the non SLP cars when modded with a lid @ Catback usually dyno higher than the SLP cars because they go with a better lid and higher flowing exhaust than what comes on the 345 cars. I wanted the CME so that's why I opted for the 345 package.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

dynos mean jack ****, take both to a track and find out that the firehawk is just an expensive appearance mod...a very hotlooking appearance mod, but nothing more nothing less.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF it came with the 345 HP package (offered only in 2002 if I recall correctly), then it has the lid and dual/dual catback, and in the real world, those probably added an extra 10 HP over what a WS6 would have had coming from the factory. I never dynoed my 345 HP package SS, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I think what they may be trying to get at on the other site is that there are huge differences in the LS1s that come from the factory, commonly known as factory freaks. There have been cases documented where people dyno their stock WS6/TA/Formy/Z28/SS against a 345 HP package Hawk or SS and out dyno them. Why? Who the hell knows...engine tolerances perhaps?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
From what I've seen the SS's @ Firehawks with the 345 Package in 2002 dyno around 10 more rwhp than a comparable year base SS or WS6. This is due to the addition of the lid @ DD Catback. My 345 Car dynoed 315rwhp @ 326rwtq at 1500 miles. At the same time a 01 WS6 laid down 305rwhp @ 318rwtq bone stock with 29,000 miles on the clock. However the non SLP cars when modded with a lid @ Catback usually dyno higher than the SLP cars because they go with a better lid and higher flowing exhaust than what comes on the 345 cars. I wanted the CME so that's why I opted for the 345 package.
That's the theory I'll agree to. Really it's only about 10-15hp, but on the street, it probably won't matter anyway. Who leaves their stuff stock now anyway?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
IF it came with the 345 HP package (offered only in 2002 if I recall correctly), then it has the lid and dual/dual catback, and in the real world, those probably added an extra 10 HP over what a WS6 would have had coming from the factory. I never dynoed my 345 HP package SS, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I think what they may be trying to get at on the other site is that there are huge differences in the LS1s that come from the factory, commonly known as factory freaks. There have been cases documented where people dyno their stock WS6/TA/Formy/Z28/SS against a 345 HP package Hawk or SS and out dyno them. Why? Who the hell knows...engine tolerances perhaps?
took the words out of my mouth. anyone who thinks there 345 package car is gonna waste a WS6/TA/Formy/Z28/SS of the same year and tranny is just plain ignorant.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

The 345 option wasn't worth the money. Ive boosted the HP on my T/A WS6 well over 345 for much less than what that option ran for.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

I have had both, a 02 hawk 345 hp car and a 02 ws6 car with a lid and flowmaster. The hawk did look very good but the ws6 is faster...why...i don't know! I still have my 94 and love driving it but I know that it is not any faster than any other lt1. As for the ls1's, look at my sig for the differences.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
took the words out of my mouth. anyone who thinks there 345 package car is gonna waste a WS6/TA/Formy/Z28/SS of the same year and tranny is just plain ignorant.
And thats where the post will take a completely different turn.. I never said anything about blowing a stock SS or WS6 away on the street or let alone strip. Just asking the simple question is to how much more rwhp does the Firehawk or SS package's get over a Z28 or a WS6. I was guessing right in around the 10-15 range. Looks like i wasnt far off
Old 08-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
The 345 option wasn't worth the money. Ive boosted the HP on my T/A WS6 well over 345 for much less than what that option ran for.
Of course you could spend less out of pocket to get 345 hp out of a stock WS6, BUT you forgot to add in the pretty wheels and sick looking hood
Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

While I don't think my Firehawk is that much faster than any given WS.6 or Z28 Camaro, I do think if you had the same tires, the exact same track conditions for both lanes, and absolutely equal drivers the Firehawk and SS Camaro's would win over the stock T/A and WS/6.

Again not my much, just a little bit. Maybe a 10th of a second? Since we know that the exact conditions will never be met to match them totally equally it doesn't matter. If you miss a shift or your car's having a good day or anything is different between the two, who knows what could happen?

The Firehawk in my opinion is about style. Not much else.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slik98z
dynos mean jack ****, take both to a track and find out that the firehawk is just an expensive appearance mod...a very hotlooking appearance mod, but nothing more nothing less.
This is where I start to get irked. If you get a suspension package as one of the Firehawk options, you're well ahead of the game. If I take a 1LE or even the Bilstein Firehawk to the track, and I mean a real track with turns, then the Firehawk will best a WS6. I'll also take the Firestone Firehawks over the Goodyear GS-A F1's that come on the WS6.

As for the hp, first, I want to clarify that the lid was only available in 2002. And yes, it's worth a few poines over the stock GM lid the WS6 uses. Is it going to make a significant or noticable difference? Highly doubtful. Factory tolerances are going to make a bigger difference that can even make up for the lid.

I'll also note that for Firehawks, which are being discussed here, came standard with the 345hp package. It wasn't an option as I saw mentioned, though it was optional for the 2002 SS.

Lastly, there was no mention of wasting a WS6. The original poster just asked what the hp difference was. He guessed 10-15, which if you threw the same mods on the same motor, you might come close to at the crank. So if I took a WS6, and put on the SLP Dual/Dual exhaust, and the Donaldson Blackwing lid, you can't tell me there's no difference. I'd guess maybe 10hp to the wheels. I think that's all the questioner was asking, yeesh.

I'm guessing this thread has headed the way the other one Ohmyneck started on another board. Thanks to everyone for jumping in with ignorant, half-though out comments!
Old 08-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
This is where I start to get irked. If you get a suspension package as one of the Firehawk options, you're well ahead of the game. If I take a 1LE or even the Bilstein Firehawk to the track, and I mean a real track with turns, then the Firehawk will best a WS6. I'll also take the Firestone Firehawks over the Goodyear GS-A F1's that come on the WS6.

As for the hp, first, I want to clarify that the lid was only available in 2002. And yes, it's worth a few poines over the stock GM lid the WS6 uses. Is it going to make a significant or noticable difference? Highly doubtful. Factory tolerances are going to make a bigger difference that can even make up for the lid.

I'll also note that for Firehawks, which are being discussed here, came standard with the 345hp package. It wasn't an option as I saw mentioned, though it was optional for the 2002 SS.

Lastly, there was no mention of wasting a WS6. The original poster just asked what the hp difference was. He guessed 10-15, which if you threw the same mods on the same motor, you might come close to at the crank. So if I took a WS6, and put on the SLP Dual/Dual exhaust, and the Donaldson Blackwing lid, you can't tell me there's no difference. I'd guess maybe 10hp to the wheels. I think that's all the questioner was asking, yeesh.

I'm guessing this thread has headed the way the other one Ohmyneck started on another board. Thanks to everyone for jumping in with ignorant, half-though out comments!
Now this guy is on the same page with me Actually believe it or not, this board has been more helpful than the other site. I did ask in the bar and grill forum instead of technical, BUT they claimed there was no rwhp difference between the two, and it was just a marketing scam. Ohh well All i wanted to find out was the difference in hp between the two and i think you hit my awnser right on the spot. Thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
Not everyone buys a Hawk for the power...I bought mine more for the collectability than the increased power. You can see a few WS6's on the road every day, but you don't always see a Hawk.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The firehawk will probably dyno slightly higher on average (5-10 hp) than a WS6, but it's really not enough to make a difference at the track IMO. Also the LS1 has a very wide dyno range (I've read of LS1's dynoing anywhere from 290-330 hp stock), so a strong WS6 will dyno higher than an average firehawk. Also have to consider A4/M6.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

I agree that the Firehawk in later years was more about exclusiveness and handling than raw power. I've had my Hawk for a few months now and have yet to see another. WS6's I see a couple everyday.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Saturday, it was sunny and nice out so I decided to take the Firehawk for a spin...went to return a movie and a woman pulled up in a WS6 and then later on the way over to the in-laws house, saw another WS6 coming the other direction. I have yet to see another Firehawk on the road (even though there are a few in the STL area)...
Old 08-23-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I do have to agree with u there. I have seen like 3 WS6s in one day and I live in a city of only 100000. I have however seen a few different firehawks around.

Quick Reply: How many extra hp does a Firehawk have over the WS6?