Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

will my SS be worth a lot in 20 years or so from now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a Camaro Expert

I need to know if my SS will be worth alot in 20 years or so from now? I have 1 of the 37 SOM SS vert 6 speeds for that year and of those 37 only two had tan tops and leather with all SLP options. I have all documentation and build sheets on it. Even have a sheet where Scott Settlemire even special ordered it for a friend of his. I see the 67 to 73 Camaro's selling from 35k to 150k restored and I don't even know if some were as rare as mine. Reason being I don't want to kick myself in the *** in 20 years from now if I decide to sell this for a newer Z06. So any help would be awesome guys. Yes I do know none of use can perdict the future but I'm just looking for others opinons on this.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-18-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's an SOM on Autotrader for $40k?

I'm no expert, but I think the well kept well equipped SSs are already showing signs that they have bottomed out on depreciation and are on their way back up in value.

Forecasting that a Camaro will be a money maker is an argurement that may have a few historical examples to support it, but it has many more that do not.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 226 Likes on 181 Posts

I think alot depends on the future car market. If 650HP factory-equipped cars are available in 20 years, the value of our LS1s won't be a whole lot, but if wheezing 90HP hybrids are all thats available, you better believe an LS1 would be worth alot more.

Having said that, I've been checking the NADA value of my car about every 6mos since I bought it new. Just within the last year the NADA books started distinguishing a WS6 as an extra value adder. But even ignoring that factor, a '98 T/A 'vert value went up since 4/04:

4/16/2004 - 10/21/2004 - 4/6/2005
$12,600 --- $12,925 ---- $12,800

So yes, some LS1 cars are already showing signs of bottoming out on value. How much they might increase in the next 15-20 years though is anyone's guess.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

i think it would probably depend on how many of those car actually exist in 20 years too. One of my good friends ownes a company that just deals only with totalled f-body's (parts them out), and uhh i have seen a few hundred cars pass through his shop.

So just hope all of the other 36 of the SOM Verts get totalled, and then it is a shoe in to be worth something in 20 years.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

That car would definatley be worth more than the other Camaros of the same era. Who knows what the world conditions will be like that far in the future. Cars are poor investments though. It'll never make more than carefully invested money of the same caliber. The 4th gen cars are something that "I" would pay big money for years from now, but will others pay? I don't know about that one.

That's definately a nice car...
Old 09-19-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Cars are poor investments though. It'll never make more than carefully invested money of the same caliber.
Try telling that to owners who have sold original 71 Hemi Cuda drop-tops in the $2-3 million dollar range in the last 12 months. Same goes for owners that are getting $1/2-3/4 million for original 69 ZL1 Camaros. Unless you win the power ball lottery, that beats any legal investment hands down!

It all depends on the car and how desirable it MAY be 20 years down the road. My future car price crystal ball broke years ago so I'am not even gonna hazard a guess.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

I think the LS1 version 4rth generation SSs are sleepers. So I bet you will be kicking yourself in the *** 20 years from now.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Try telling that to owners who have sold original 71 Hemi Cuda drop-tops in the $2-3 million dollar range in the last 12 months. Same goes for owners that are getting $1/2-3/4 million for original 69 ZL1 Camaros. Unless you win the power ball lottery, that beats any legal investment hands down!

It all depends on the car and how desirable it MAY be 20 years down the road. My future car price crystal ball broke years ago so I'am not even gonna hazard a guess.
Hey man, those are one in a million cars. It's rediculous to compare investments to a needle in a hay stack car.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Good time to harp on this: Until and unless GM and/or SLP release the actual final numbers of SSs built BY OPTION we may never know how rare or common some of these cars actually are!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Hey man, those are one in a million cars.
Actually they were not at the time. The original owners bought the cars not thinking of future value. They simply liked the car, bought it and used it as they wanted. Some have more then 70K miles on the clock. Little did they know what they might be worth in 35 years.

Same goes for a few desirable LS1 cars 20 years from now. Please let us know which ones will command the higher $$ in the long range. Thanks for your wisdom.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

On 4th gen cars, but not limited to:

1) LT4 cars especially the Firehawks
2) 1LE cars especially SS and Firehawks
3) Purple, orange and yellow f-bodies
4)All GMMG cars (Berger,Earnhardt,Blackbirds)
5) WS6 Formulas
6) All anniversary cars-especially 30th
7) rare prototypes
8) Firehawks
9)SS & WS6 in general.

I'm sure I missed a few.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the miles are kept low and the car remains in excellent condition I don't see why the car wouldn't be worth a pretty penny.

I don't think 20 years will be long enough. I would say 35years. Cause '85 Camaro's are not worth right now and I don't care how rarely optioned they are. But early 70's and back are starting the bring really good money.

I personally would not keep the car just for the investment. Drive it, enjoy it, but keep the miles relatively low.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
I should point out though, that what makes those cars valuable like they are, are the combination of the "top-shelf" engine/drivetrain and body. Hemis are pretty rare anyway, but one in a Cuda (ching!), and a vert (double-ching!) is what makes those cars stand head and shoulders above all the other similar cars (Hemi Cuda coupes, or 440+6 Cuda 'verts). Same w/ the ZL1. Very rare "top-shelf" engine, making those Camaros stand out from the rest. Constrast that to a "1 of 37 SOM SS 'vert 6M w/ ........" car. No offense (it's a nice and desireable car), but the only thing that makes it "rare" is the buyers' color option choices. 20 years down the road, a collector willing to pay big $$ will definately care less about the color and more about what is under the hood. "Rarity" is not everything. Some of the rarest '66 Vettes have powerglides. But who is willing to pay the big bucks for one??

Unless the car's color is associated with some "anniversary package" option, rarely does color influence value.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Unless the car's color is associated with some "anniversary package" option, rarely does color influence value.
I'll agree with that except for the anniversary package color. I've seen
anniversary Vetts sell for little more that a base car of the same year and drivetrain. Historicaly, anniversary packages and color combinations have not brought significantly higher $$$.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

I would think some of the cars modded by the big guys like MTI, Lingenfelter, SLP, Tom Henry (GMMG), etc. may well be the Yenkos of the future. But who knows? The whole vintage/muscle car thing may colapse like a house of sand. And then again, maybe not.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

My advice is to drive it, and enjoy it. If Chevy does decide to bring back an LS-2 Camaro, ours will be a dime a dozen. The cars from the mid-80's were junk when they were new. With that badass 305, I wonder why? The Berger cars (and others) will be strong in the future, because of the "masters touch"...kind of like old Shelby's.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag

Wrong answer!! I have owned and solds over 40 classics and I can tell you that the right color can add up to 20% to the value.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Something to consider? Will we be driving gas powered car in the future? How many will be on the market? How popular were they (Nostalgia)? They were discontinued. There are a lot of 1975 Z28's out there that you can pick up for nothing. Even 1970-1973, which are going up, are still relatively easy to buy for cheap.

The reason some of the 1970 -1971 cuda's are selling in the millions is because they are super rare. For example, they only made 6 convertible 426 Hemi cuda's in 1970.

About 10 years ago I bought a straight # matching 1972 SS and restored it. Today I will probably sell it and break even. You rarely get over what you put into classics unless they are super rare and super popular. CUda's, Challenger R/Ts, 396 SS/RS or Z28 67-69 Camaros, 427 stingrays, Shelby Mustangs, Cobras, and so on. Everybody loves a big block.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
There are a lot of 1975 Z28's out there that you can pick up for nothing.
LOL, I'll bet!

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
Wrong answer!! I have owned and solds over 40 classics and I can tell you that the right color can add up to 20% to the value.
Really? How about providing some examples? Was one of them a '75 Z28? LOL. Look, I'm sure that in some rare instances, color may come into play, but I'd say that it would be the exception, not the rule.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Banned

I think color will have some effect on these cars. Think about it. The real buyers for these cars are going to be the people who had them when they were younger. If you owned a Sunset Metallic Firehawk, wouldn't you jump at the chance to get the same one, or the car you WISH you had when you were younger? Would you be willing to pay an extra bit compared to an identical car colored in say...white? I would!

The people who own these cars are diehards, and if you can still get gasoline in 30 years, there will be a very healthy demand for these "discontinued" cars. The Camaro will be back, but the Trans-Am is extinct and I think the T/A's will bring a lil bit more coin than a similar 'camaro