Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

How to verify a WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to verify a WS6?

I am sure this has been asked plenty of times. But anyways My friend just bought a 98 Trans Am and he said its a WS6 and that he checked the VIN (he has been well known to be full of $hit plenty of times). He brought the car over so I could take a look at it and it was dark out so I couldn't get a good look. But the hood looked to be a replica WS6 ram air hood and it also had the suncoast creations airbox. The airbox is what really threw a red flag for me. Anyway I am pretty sure its not a WS6 and would like to prove him wrong. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO VERIFY IF ITS REALLY A WS6?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

On the driver door on the sticker it will have WS6 on it.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any other major things. I would really like to make him feel like an idiot. I am about 99% sure its not a WS6 and I know he would be so iritated if I pointed out like 3 or 4 things to him to verify that its not a WS6.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

rims, badge, hood, air box
Old 03-21-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
those can be added...only way to tell is door sticker.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
The rims are not the WS6 rims but that is no matter. I have been around here a while and know the basics. There are vehicles called "CLONES". These vehicles look like the real thing but arent the real thing. Just like you can have a WS6 without the WS6 wheels, air box, hood or suspension changes. I want to verify its not a WS6 I know its all in the Vin # and certain codes and stuff. That is the stuff I am interested in. Sorry to go off but that was an answer for a newb.

NHRA u just beat me to the punch there. What are the codes to look for guys? I am sure a bunch of u guys know what they are.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Launching!

look for WS6 on the driverside door sticker, bout the only way, unless you want to call GM with the VIN and verify it. Other than that, it's nothing more than parts that could or could not be originals, so they're no help.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

The only code you need to look for is WS6.. no WS6, not a real WS6. It's as simple as that. After that you can check if he has WS6 lower air box, 32mm front sway bar, 1LE springs, WS6 badging & Ram Air decals, Lower restriction catback, 17" high polished wheels w/ 275/40/ZR17 tires, Jounce spacers for 17X9" wheels, Power steering cooler. Look for 1LE on the rpo sticker, don't take my word for it, but I think only WS6 got it.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bastien
The only code you need to look for is WS6.. no WS6, not a real WS6. It's as simple as that. After that you can check if he has WS6 lower air box, 32mm front sway bar, 1LE springs, WS6 badging & Ram Air decals, Lower restriction catback, 17" high polished wheels w/ 275/40/ZR17 tires, Jounce spacers for 17X9" wheels, Power steering cooler. Look for 1LE on the rpo sticker, don't take my word for it, but I think only WS6 got it.
Ok guys. Thats all I need. Thanks Bastien. I will check for the WS6 on the drivers door and check for the 1LE. The things that throw you off the basic check for a WS6 are the facts that its got different wheels (somehow put WS6 center caps in them), Different exhaust, suncoast creations ram air box (No Lid/lower airbox) and I wasnt about to check for the suspension stuff in the dark. He was dead set that its a WS6 and I know its not (He's an LT1 guy and B.S.'s all the time) He claimed he had the Vin checked by the dealership (He didnt purchase it at the dealer). The Jounce spacers are about the I didnt realize came on the WS6, everything else I knew about. Thats why I got iritated when someone just says hood, rims, emblems when all of those items can be added on and dont mean anything.

PLEASE NO MORE POSTS UNLESS IT IS CODE RELATED. THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.

SINCE I DOWNLOADED HIS STOCK BIN I HAVE HIS VIN AND CAN PM IT IF SOMEONE WANT TO LOOK IT UP FOR ME.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

There aren't any codes that will help you though. The only difference code wise between a trans-am and a WS6, is the rpo code "WS6".
Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok Next Time I See The Car I Will Take A Look. Thanks Bastien.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 226 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bastien
1LE was only available on Formulas w/ WS6 as a mandatory option. If this is a T/A, it can't be a 1LE, but it could be a WS6.

The ONLY way to tell a real WS6 is to look for the "WS6" RPO code on the driver's door decal. If the decal is gone (in the case of door repair due to an accident for example), then your only recourse is to run the VIN thru a GM dealer to obtain the original RPO code listing for THAT particular car, then scan THAT for "WS6". There is NO WAY by looking at JUST the VIN to tell if a car is a WS6 or not, the VIN must be cross-referenced to the specific RPO listing via a GM dealer.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, these guys got you hooked up. WS6, Z28, Z51, Z06, LS1, LT1, LS6, LS7, LS2, LT4, ZR1, etc... they're not just cool names. They're the actual RPO codes that were given to certain option packages. Some of them just happen to wind up becoming normal street lingo. Look on the driver's door bub, and you shall find your answer.

Quick Reply: How to verify a WS6?