Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

rarest f-bodys ever made!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Bright Red 1996 SS Conv #1503, one of 264 SS conv made in '96. This one has Taupe Leather and originally had a Taupe Top and an automatic. I know there were only 42 bright red SS automatics made in '96 but havn't been able to find out how many of those had Taupe leather and top, most of the ones I have seen have black interior and top. I am looking to sell the car to move onto something else, so if anyone is interested, check out my ebay ad.
Attached Thumbnails rarest f-bodys ever made!!-100_1269.jpg   rarest f-bodys ever made!!-100_1267.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm not the kind of guy that believes option combinations make a rare car. Like paint, interior and trim combos. That's fine if you do, but I would never be willing to pay any type of premium for a "rare" combo of options on an otherwise normal LS1 or LT1 car.

It's the special editions that mean something to me. Berger, Intimidators, Dick Harrell , Blackbirds, etc. Anniversary cars don't even mean much to me except the 99 TA 30th Anniversary ones as they are tough to find a clean example intact. I just hope to have a chance at a Dick Harrell one day - a white one with the 427 or 454 and houndstooth interior please!
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (05-25-2024)
Old 05-26-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NW, I see your point, but that is a very fine line. To be a true special edition IMO, it was either blessed by GM (e.g. CETA), or was done special enough by the aftermarket company/dealer to be truly special. On these cars, that means engine swap or internal work.

While no quicker than a stock LS car, the 97 LT4 Hawks rate really high IMO.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroKing
yea slipped on the 02, BTW i believe autotrader has 2 LT4 firehawks for sale right now.
You are correct, out of those 29, 3 where 1le... And I know where one is, its my cousins car.. It has 6k miles. And its for sale to the right buyer... One went to 70k, at auction and the guy did not take it, and it was not a 1le... My cousin would consider offers... Let me know...

Last edited by stage274; 08-13-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Teching In

Well my 2000 Black WS6 is far far far from any 1 of 1..... lol
Old 12-18-2015, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got to page 11 and got tpp tired to stay awake, but curiosity on a fluke rarity car......1999 HOSSmn6 BBS with 1LE and white leather, documented at GM to be the only one ever sent back cause the dealer miss informed that SLP had closed. so after arguing with gm to send it back instead of offering to build the same car so there was two floating out there.....it has a gm door sticker stating it was built in January 1999 and all of the SLP options except bilstein were documented and installed at st therese Quebec....in may of 1999 five months later...and it also was ordered with all performance options and no luxuries...except it flukey csme with power door locks.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Idk how rare or legit this car really is but it's currently for sale on ebay right now.

Name:  EA45BBE2-43CE-4E50-9843-B68B2A8FCDE0.png
Views: 594
Size:  243.8 KB
Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2
The rarest one ever produced at a GM plant was Pete Estes 68 vert Z28,one of one.As far a the rest of them it's a subjective question,and impossible to answer definitively.
There are lots of 1 of 1 cars as others have stated. The Pete Estes 68 convertible may or may not be the most desirable, but it certainly isn't rarer than any other 1 of 1 car.

Originally Posted by David Gordon
Once again 89 Turbo TA with a Buick motor a special hand built 200 R4 tranny and a 1LE package with quick change Corvette brakes. 1551 made by the factory and sold for over 30k ( Window sticker 31plus ). These were made by GM and not sold only to private individuals as a one off car. They were sold to select Pontiac dealers across the US and Canada.
The 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am is indeed rare, but not remotely the rarest of them all. There are a select few, like the 24 leather interior, hard top TTA's that are up there in rarity, but again there are several one of one cars as well. I think the one SLP Firehawk with the competition package and 383 engine is more interesting than any TTA aside from the few non-white TTA test vehicles.

Or if you want to get rare they made one or two of these in a different color and sold to a rich select friend of a high up GM man. Come on guys cars with a rare interior is cool or a special paint scheme is ok but a car with a Buick motor and tranny is off the charts. These car handle like they are on rails even compared tosay a 2002 WS6, they handle ahead of their time!
I've always thought that the third generation cars handled better than thier fourth generation counterparts. I am the former owner of 2002 Firehawk #220 and my 1987 WS6 Trans Am handled just as well if not better once I refurbished the suspension. Granted I did have urethane suspension bushings instead of the factory rubber, but I had 75,000 miles on it compared to the 30k I had on my Firehawk which was much newer. I think the weight has a lot to do with it. The 4th generation cars are simply heavier than their third generation predecessors.

Originally Posted by NEW
Many things can make a car rare, colours, options, history and eventually all kinds of other things we can come up with..

But RARE doesnt always mean desireable,

and what i mean then is that it just isnt wanted dead or alive, even if you can prove that it is the one of a hundred thousand 6 bangers with pink cloth interior or whatsoever.

NEW
Indeed. Someone once had an Ebay and Thirdgen.org ad for a Trans Am that had the "paddle mirror" option with no-tilt steering in a GTA. The options combination this car had made it one of the rarest F-Bodies out there, but hardly desirable. Those mirrors were ******* hideous. Non-tilt steering in a GTA, who the hell would want that?

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
They made Trans Ams with an Oldsmobile motor in the 70's, and that wasn't particularly "off the charts". 1551 built isn't especially rare... there are much rarer models... A plain jane 1972 Trans Am is more rare than a TTA... I think certain people just overhype their "mystique" because of the GN connection.

For example, and '91/'92 Firehawk is FAR more rare, far more oddball, and far more collectible... 25 total over two model years... 21 of them were red, and the rest were 1 each in aqua, white, blue, and green. And ONE was built as a convertible... Now THAT'S a rare car.
Indeed, the Firehawks are not only among the rarest cars, but the coolest (in my opinion) for a number of reasons.

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
A couple of these had the vette ZF 6 speed. I would call a 89TTA 6 speed one of the best perfoming rare pontiac's out there. Also had a factory installed roll bar. There was also a twin turbo GTA in blue
No 1989 Turbo Trans Am came with anything but the automatic transmission (2004R) to the best of my knowledge. There were five test vehicles. At least two are known to survive to this day. One has been confirmed in red and I believe the other was supposed to be black, not blue.

Source: https://www.thirdgen.org/1989-pontiac-firebird/

I know there was at least one 91/92 Firehawk that had a ZF six-speed transmission which required the construction of a unique center console not found in any other car. I believe it's the 383 car.

They tried to put a manual in the TTAs but it was slow as crap due partly to lost boost between shifts. To my knoweledge all 1551 were all autos, two of which were not white. The rarest was the cloth seat no T-top option. These were the fastest as well due to being 150# lighter. My car is as fast as a basically stock LS1, thats about it, but you can just tighted the boost rod up to 20# and turn the fuel up , add a chip and they run 11,s.
Again, there were five test cars. Only two of which are known to exist today, or have been confirmed to exist. One black, the other red. Your right though, it's a hell of a car given how easy it is to make it into the 11's.

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
What were the colors of the other two? I had heard about a red one but I'm not sure.
One red, one black. The other three test cars have never been officially confirmed to exist or still exist. I recall reading some article where someone who worked at GM said they'd been crushed, but I'm not positive on either my recollection of the article, or its veracity.

Originally Posted by stagefright4
beat me to it. id give anything to have a 91/92 firehawk they look like a regular formula except the firehawk on the doors. imagine having one in 91/92 they would be the ultimate sleeper cause of the formula body
At this point, most of your average car guys probably can't tell the difference between a Formula Firebird and a Trans Am of the era. Especially since the 1982-1983 Trans Ams look so much like the 1987 and up Formula. You have to be a Pontiac or F-Body guy to know what you are looking at.

Originally Posted by Mcheap
TT GTA? got anymore info on that?
I think he's referring to one known prototype that sat in the Pontiac warehouse which was a 1991 or 1992 GTA that was given a twin turbo power plant for testing purposes. I've seen pictures of it and it's one sexy car.

Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2
Rarest Fbody built was Pete Estes 68 Z vert.That car was an auction no sale at 1.3 mil a few years ago-there aren't any other camaros valued within half a million of that car,that's why it's the rarest.
No, it's not the rarest. A 1 of 1 car is no more rare than any other 1 of 1 car, total production numbers not with standing. That said, the Pete Estes 1968 Convertible Z28 may be the most desirable, but it's certainly not more rare than any other odd ball one of one car is.

Last edited by Spamfritter; 06-26-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

What a killer first post^
Old 05-22-2024, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Looking to see what aero mods were available to improve the 2002 TA to better the '85-'89 TA's Cd numbers I came across this dealer optioned Trans Am, the Slingshot Edition Edward Feldman and Sheehan Pontiac-GMC of Lighthouse Point FL Trans AM Slingshot Edition Per the article it states:
"all of the modifications on this vehicle were Pontiac approved. Being manufacturer approved has always been important for dealer optioned cars, the mods shouldn’t void the original factory warranty. And like the dealer optioned cars of the muscle car era, the modifications were picked out with the intention of making the car better than when it left the factory line."
The article states the car should have sold around $65,000 new ($30k in mods) and had 1,544 miles and was seen a few times over the years on eBay and other auction sites but never selling as list prices found were at or above $70k. The only info I can find on it today is listed on a Portuguese website Trans Am Slingshot Edition that just has a few images of it. Nothing I found here on it.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jybravo70
Looking to see what aero mods were available to improve the 2002 TA to better the '85-'89 TA's Cd numbers I came across this dealer optioned Trans Am, the Slingshot Edition Edward Feldman and Sheehan Pontiac-GMC of Lighthouse Point FL Trans AM Slingshot Edition Per the article it states:

The article states the car should have sold around $65,000 new ($30k in mods) and had 1,544 miles and was seen a few times over the years on eBay and other auction sites but never selling as list prices found were at or above $70k. The only info I can find on it today is listed on a Portuguese website Trans Am Slingshot Edition that just has a few images of it. Nothing I found here on it.
I recall seeing that on Ebay at least once. I never knew anything about the car specifically beyond the fact I think its ******* hideous. Those headlights....oof.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by jybravo70

Wow. Almost everything done to that car cosmetically was a huge step down from the original appearance. The floor mats look like nice Lloyd's pieces, but even those are sullied by being a terrible accent color for the car (yellow on silver? ). I'm not surprised it had a hard time selling at that price. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a hard time selling even for original MSRP with all those mods.

Sometimes rare is cool, other times...not so much.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

1968 Camaro 1 of 1. Only convertible Z-28 1st gen built....and was for Chevrolet General Manager Pete Estes

The Story Behind The Rarest Camaro Z/28 Ever Built (slashgear.com)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Wow. Almost everything done to that car cosmetically was a huge step down from the original appearance. The floor mats look like nice Lloyd's pieces, but even those are sullied by being a terrible accent color for the car (yellow on silver? ). I'm not surprised it had a hard time selling at that price. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a hard time selling even for original MSRP with all those mods.

Sometimes rare is cool, other times...not so much.
It perfectly illustrates the point that rare does not necessarily equal desirable. I don't recall seeing anything making mention of the car being special on the Ebay listing. I just assumed the car was another one that was modified in poor taste and made to sound more special than it is.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it was around 1998+, so the LS 4th Gen, we had "specialty" Trans Ams running around Miami / Hollywood / Ft Lauderdale called the Tomahawk. No one I talked to, about the Tomahawk, has ever heard about it. We had some big dealerships down here, so it was probably a dealer option.

In 00, I bought the new WS6 M6 vert and a SS M6 vert. The WS6 was a run of the mill (missed scoring a Firehawk), but the SS had some weird **** done to it.

It had leather piping all along the carpet, the dash was wrapped in leather, with red stitching, the headliner, convertible top and shift **** also had red stitching; the exterior and engine, dual red stripes on the hood / trunk and custom black chrome with a red lip on the wheels (don't remember if they were factory WS6 wheels or not), as for the engine, it came swapped with a modified LS6. It was sitting on the showroom floor inside the main lobby. I tell everyone about the SS, and like the Tomahawk, no one knows anything about it, but I'm sure it was a dealer modded car. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it well exceeded the SS and WS6 base price. I had all the paperwork and window sticker, but lost it and the car, 3 years later, when my warehouse burned up, when crackheads broke into it. Luckily my F355, 740il and WS6 were at home in the garage.

I also had 3 Autoform 2 seater roadsters hardtop convertibles, an 83 and an 84 Camaro and an 86 Trans Am. Both Camaros were stolen and I sold the Trans Am. I had those back when 3rdgen.org was just a baby. At the time, no one heard about the Autoform Fbody and everyone thought I had it made... well first they thought I was lying, till I posted pics, lol, and other owners slowly came out of the shadows. I was the first to try and get a registry together, but it was a hassle, but now I see that someone took my lead and created one. I really miss those cars. I attached a pic of the Autoform T/A. NOT my T/A

I had another pre factory convertible, made by a designer named Todd (I think), I don't recall his last name; it came with a metal placard, with his name on it and production number, on center column below the shifter. The thing was a death trap, when dropped, to anyone sitting in the back; the way the frame was designed, it would stick you right in the skull, if in an accident... hell, getting out of the car in general, but especially from the back, you had to be careful lol.

Miss my chance at a Trojan Trans Am and an 88 GTA Notchback

Old 05-23-2024, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as rare Firebirds go...The factory GM RPO 1LE (1988 to midyear 1999) cars are amongst the rarest of the rare...The Only way to get one New was to do a (COPO) Special order...Most Pontiac Dealers had No Idea that 1LE even existed...Some years they were produced in single digit numbers...with 20 or less in produced in most years...They were the last of the True Lightweight Factory Stripper cars...
The SLP second sticker cars with 1LE (not really rare) are completely different cars than the GM RPO 1LE cars...And are Nowhere close to being the same except for the 1LE nomenclature....

Last edited by two lane blacktop; 05-23-2024 at 12:46 PM.
RONIN LSX (05-23-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 836 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin chicken
Well my 2000 Black WS6 is far far far from any 1 of 1..... lol
That applies to any black car. That's the most common Fbody color. Now a Bright Purple Metallic TA is worth dropping some coin for.

Last edited by wannafbody; 05-25-2024 at 10:31 AM.
JohnnyBs98WS6Rag (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Any Factory Purple Firebird/Formula/Trans Am is a rare sight...Doesn't matter the year or model...
1995 firebird convertable...Medium Dark Purple Metallic (05U)

Last edited by two lane blacktop; 05-25-2024 at 10:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by two lane blacktop:
NC01TA (05-26-2024), wannafbody (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

That looks like either 05U / Medium Dark Purple ('95 - '97) or 91U / Grey Purple Metallic ('93 - '94). It is definitely not 88U / Bright Purple Metallic ('97 - '98).

This is 88U / BPM:

But yeah, purple Firebirds are an uncommon sight.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag:
NC01TA (05-26-2024), two lane blacktop (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 500 Likes on 361 Posts

I really like those purple Firebirds ^^^ more and more as the years pass. Why should the Plum Crazy Mopars be the only game in town. Thanks for posting the photos.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC01TA:
two lane blacktop (05-26-2024), wannafbody (05-26-2024)

Quick Reply: rarest f-bodys ever made!!