Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

2002 Phase I ZL1 Camaro sold at Barrett-Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow..... that all kinda shocks me actually. there's no way if i had the money to buy some of those cars i'd want to buy them from a place that couldnt even get information right.

anyone want to help me sell my numbers matching 167 mile 1989 SS camaro w/ the 454 and true dual exaust from the factory at Barret? i figure we can build the thing for like 30 grand, make it look all pretty, and then sell it for 100k+ there to some rich dude who doesnt have a clue.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry but that is stupidly rediculous . . . Just proves that some people at BJ have way more money than sence . . .

Sorry that car is not worth $80 grand . . . and I own a Berger . . . .
Old 01-18-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Sorry but that is stupidly rediculous . . . Just proves that some people at BJ have way more money than sence . . .

Sorry that car is not worth $80 grand . . . and I own a Berger . . . .
Got to ask . . . why is that car not worth $80 grand? . . . I own a Blackbird and a Intimidator - both very low milage.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Ten years you guys will be saying different although you can pick a phase lll up for around 125k
Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Got to ask . . . why is that car not worth $80 grand? . . . I own a Blackbird and a Intimidator - both very low milage.
Sorry it's not. And like I said this is coming from a Berger SS owner. . . I'd love it if my car would sell for $80 but it won't not right now, and it has more options then that ZL1 . . That exact ZL1 did for **** on E-bay a few months back.

It's a BASE virtually no option ZL1 with a Stock LS6 . . . Sticker for less than $60 . . In approximately 4 years appreciated $20 grand??? 30% return? Crazy.

The bantering at BJ has gotten that car more money than it's worth . . .

Hey don't get me wrong congrats to the seller for making good money, congrats to BJ fro hosing the seller and buyer . . . too bad for the buyer . . .
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HOTROD1974
By the way, lot#1524 is a HOT ROD EDTION CAMARO proto-type #1 owned by Petersen Publishing.....HOT ROD Magazine.

It's a Phase I 380 HP / M6
What will it go for?
$22k
Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 2002 Phase I ZL1 Camaro sold at Barrett-Jackson

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Sorry it's not. And like I said this is coming from a Berger SS owner. . . I'd love it if my car would sell for $80 but it won't not right now, and it has more options then that ZL1 . . That exact ZL1 did for **** on E-bay a few months back.

It's a BASE virtually no option ZL1 with a Stock LS6 . . . Sticker for less than $60 . . In approximately 4 years appreciated $20 grand??? 30% return? Crazy.

The bantering at BJ has gotten that car more money than it's worth . . .

Hey don't get me wrong congrats to the seller for making good money, congrats to BJ fro hosing the seller and buyer . . . too bad for the buyer . . .
Hmmmm.................well..............apparently the buyer thought so. Who knows what these GMMG cars are worth? They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Weren't you criticized when you bought yours because you spent more that what you could get an SS for?

Back in the day...............people felt that the Yenkos, COPOs, Danas, Nickeys, Baldwin-Motions, etc. weren't worth what people paid either. Eventually they appreciated in value.

Who knows what your Berger SS is worth today................tomorrow..........or in the future. It is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Please don't take any offense to anything I have said. As you know, I have seen your Berger SS close-up and personal. IT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL RIDE ! ! !

As I said earlier in this thread. I didn't buy mine to make a profit on it. I bought it because I wanted it..........and still do. As ridiculous as some of you might think this sounds.............mine is not for sale at any price. If I were to get rid of it I simply can't replace it. Sure............I could pick up another ZL1..........but it would have been someone elses car built for them. Mine was built for me.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks JD for the kind words . . . I was more worried I offended . . .

All the GMMG cars are misunderstood for what they are . . . We all know that personally since we own one. Yes people thought I was insane for buying my Berger at the price it cost . . .

I didn't buy my car as an investment either, I bought it because it was what I wanted.

It is very hard to explain ones position completely behind a keyboard . . .

I guess more of my frustration goes towards BJ, I hate everything that organization stands for and personally feel what he has done to the car enthusiast market is disgraceful.

In one hand totally awesome that a 2002 ZL1 sold for such a wonderful price, and I hope that is an early indication of where the current Dealer Modified cars are to go . . . but I think it's true value is hidden behind the glitz of BJ.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

I have pictures of it at the auction, as I was there and took several, once I get them uploaded I will post them.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

i drive the **** out of my ceta after all that is what i bought it for. its got 69k and not planin on parkin it yet
Old 01-19-2007, 08:36 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

The car certainly is worth $88K because that's what a buyer paid!!
And few people even bid on a car at BJ without speaking to the rep or owner of the car and looking it over way before it goes on the block.
Whoever bought the car new probably didn't pay more than $53K for it.

That car move the bar up for all GMMG cars and not just the ZL1's. But I still doubt you will see very many for sale because most owners have no interest in selling them.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grb
The car certainly is worth $88K because that's what a buyer paid!!
And few people even bid on a car at BJ without speaking to the rep or owner of the car and looking it over way before it goes on the block.
Whoever bought the car new probably didn't pay more than $53K for it.

That car move the bar up for all GMMG cars and not just the ZL1's. But I still doubt you will see very many for sale because most owners have no interest in selling them.

What people have to remember is that a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just because you "personally" don't feel it is worth the price it sold for doesn't mean it is not worth that. Again, remember, this was an auction. At least two people wanted it and that is how it got up as high as it did.

Another thing to think about too is..........guys (and gals) who go to B-J and buy these cars obviously have money. I doubt that very many of them just inherited it. They have been or are successful business people who have made some good informed decisions in their life and have worked for the sucess they are now enjoying. As pointed out above by GRB, I doubt that the guy (or gal) who bought this car made the decision to purchase it without finding out everything he could about it and checking the car out rather closely prior to bidding on it.

And as pointed out earlier in this thread...........another GMMG car, a Hot Rod Magazine Edition Camaro will be going across the block later this week. Lot #1524, the proto-type that Petersen Publishing owns. Let's see how this one does. It may not do as good.............or it may do better than the ZL1.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:24 PM
JUICED96Z

Also remember that B-J is alwasy telling people to do their homework and that pretty much th eonly checking they do is make sure the title belongs to the seller. Any problems after the sell are between the buyer and seller and can go to mediation but B-J has nothing to do with it after they say SOLD and before that don't have much more to do with it.

THey people there do have money. When that BIG bus went up for sale and there was a screw up and the guy was done before they put him up for another 100k he fought them on it and proved them right.

When you are spending 4M whats another 100K? Yeah you have commision and all still on that but still.

I am sure he had an idea on teh future value of it and that 100k was at its peak value or was going to eat up some of the value.

Those big spenders know what they are doing if you ask me.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Bad *** car
Old 01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I think they paid about $50K too much for it, but whatever floats their boat! As someone said above, shoppers at B-J have plenty of extra cash, so this $80K is probably like 8 bucks to someone else. It is all relative. If someone owned a white '69 ZL1, I could see them getting into a bidding war to have the matching late model car too. A few newer ZL1 owners also own the '69 version of the same color. Which means they aren't exactly broke
Old 01-19-2007, 03:27 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

$50K would be below cost. I'll take every single low mileage ZL1 you can find below original cost. Would especially like to find a couple black phase I's. DH's too!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the original cost on them was too much also. I mean really, how difficult is it to slap in a crate LS6 and a set of Z06 wheels? What exactly made the price so high in the first place?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Guys with the GMMG cars, keep them nice I plan on buying one in the next 20 years.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I think they paid about $50K too much for it, but whatever floats their boat! As someone said above, shoppers at B-J have plenty of extra cash, so this $80K is probably like 8 bucks to someone else. It is all relative. If someone owned a white '69 ZL1, I could see them getting into a bidding war to have the matching late model car too. A few newer ZL1 owners also own the '69 version of the same color. Which means they aren't exactly broke
This is an excellent point and as far as I'm concerned knowledgeable if not expert testimony. I, hereby, reduce my offer on low mileage, excellent condition ZL1's to 25% less than original cost. The offer on DH's stands and I'm still looking for a 1LE HOSS.
A few dollars saved is a few dollars earned!!

PS - the '69 ZL1's sold for around $7,500.00. I'll pay dealer invoice for those which was around......Hell, I don't know....let's make it $6k even!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grb
This is an excellent point and as far as I'm concerned knowledgeable if not expert testimony. I, hereby, reduce my offer on low mileage, excellent condition ZL1's to 25% less than original cost. The offer on DH's stands and I'm still looking for a 1LE HOSS.
A few dollars saved is a few dollars earned!!

PS - the '69 ZL1's sold for around $7,500.00. I'll pay dealer invoice for those which was around......Hell, I don't know....let's make it $6k even!
grb..............you one funny guy ! ! ! !

Quick Reply: 2002 Phase I ZL1 Camaro sold at Barrett-Jackson