Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Specs on 97' Hendrick Motorsports Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specs on 97' Hendrick Motorsports Camaro SS

Hi, I'm currently working on a third gen engine/transmission swap and a friend of a friend has a wrecked 97' Hendrick SS. I have seen exterior pictures and it was in cherry condition. He had a tire blow out in a corner that eventually gave him a twisted frame and messed up back half. The engine and transmission are fine but the car is totaled. I have been searching the net all night and I can't turn up and specs on this Camaro. I know there were only 61 of them made so there isn't a whole lot of info out there. I found this site and figured it was the place to ask. If anyone has any drivetrain info on this car or can at least point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I think this would make a great combo for my third gen if it lives up to what I was told. The only thing my friend could tell me for sure is that it was a 6spd car that ran very well and was well taken care of. I hope I came to the right place. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

I found this 1 for sale but it doesn't give much info.

http://classyauto.com/v/Chevrolet/Ca...orts+LTD/29116
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think Hendrick did any performance mods to the cars, it was an appearance package that SLP installed for them.

The LT1 Hendrick MS package included:

Chrome 17" x 9" Firehawk chrome wheels
Heritage Stripes on hood, roof, and deck lid
Hendrick Custom floor mats
Hendrick Dash Plaque
Hendrick Key Fobs
Hendrick Sail Panel Badges
Hendrick Car Cover
Quaker State Lube Package
Dual Dual Performance Exhaust System
BF Goodrich Comp TA Tires

I have 1 of 9 LT4 Hendrick SS . . .

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 01-09-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Nice, thanks for the info. I just talked to my father on the phone and he saw another Hendrick SS for sale in our hometown. Kinda weird I guess. I might go have a look at it and see if it is an LT-1 or LT-4.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LT4 cars are the 30th Anniversary model, white with orange stripes and were all hard tops.

Here is a sample window sticker for a 1997 Hendrick SS.

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 01-09-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Hendrick motorsports V6?

Hello Guys,

I am going to add a twist to this hendrick motorsport badging.

I just bought a 97 base coupe ,v6 5speed,red with black stripes.
It has the hendrick motorsport special edition badges on the pillars.

The car is all original,but I am not sure about the badges,someone could have just stuck them on it.can anybody help me out! .

Ive spent countless hours on the web trying to find out what the story is with the hendrick motor sport special edition badging.

so far I have found sites that list either 60 or 61 of the ss versions produced but only one other camaro enthusiast at another forum believes they did produce possibly 30 of the v6 versions.

If anybody can shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

The couriousity is just killing me.

Thanks Todd
Old 01-12-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

^interesting, good luck on finding out
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM

Default HMS V6 were produced

Hello all

Just got off the phone with a guy named Joey at SLP Performance. The HMS cars were produced by a division of thiers that is" long gone by now" he said.

He knew about the ss HMS car but when I asked him about the V6 he said he didn't think so but hang on let me ask around,when he came back to the phone he said he stands corrected they did in fact produce several v6 versions of the HMS camaros. He took my vin# and is going to run the # and call me back to le me know. I will try to find out more about the production numbers.

I will let You know what I find out.

tmons
Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM

UPDATE

After speaking with a guy at SLP (street legal performance) he confirmed that a division of theirs did produce the 1997 Camaro SS Hendrick motor sport special edition for chevorlet.(HMS cars).The production numbers are posted at several web sites on the net. SLP no longer has the production numbers in their data base.

As for all other HMS cars produced in 1997 I contacted several Hendrick's Auto dealerships in the Carolina's. According to all of them a person could by a Camaro off the lot and then choose from several options that were offered in the Hendrick motor sport specail edition package. Ranging from tuned exhaust,performance intake,zr1 wheels,special spoilers,ground effects and so on and so on,depending on how deep your pockets are. The dealership would then install the options that were chose and ofcourse put the HMS badging on the car.Therefore the production numbers are unknown. All three dealerships did say that the cars are rare and safely could agree that there were fewer than 100 made.

I thought that was pretty interesting.. I would like to thank SLP and also the Hendrick auto dealerships for their time,they were all happy to help me out.

If you got em drive em

BE SAFE

Todd

Quick Reply: Specs on 97' Hendrick Motorsports Camaro SS