Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

High Output Alternator

Old 09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Output Alternator

Well my alternator took a crap the other day even though my car hasnt started or been on 4 wheels in about 4 months. So of course i went to go get a new one and was shocked at some of the prices for a measly 105 amp refurbished alternator from some of the parts stores....Upwards of 150 bucks and a core. So i decided to go ahead and get a High Output model. It is made by a company called Power Bastards and they have a spectacular reputation. It is a 220 amp model that is a direct fit for our cars. The great thing is the alternator puts out 14 volts at idle. I will post some pics once it comes in. Great thing is it is Made in the USA. WOOHOO!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Launching!

How much was it if you dont mind me asking and where did you get it? I have been looking at the Ohio Generator alternators which are just plain awesome but are in the 450 price range.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my car has been in the yard for 5-6 months now since i wrecked my wheels, i went the othe day and started it, it fierd just fine but when i put the A/C, Lights, Stereo on it drops to high 10 low 11 which not usual,

im thinking of getting the Load Boss High Output Alternators.

link me to ur alt let me see.....
Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Make your own...

http://www.alternatorparts.com/category_cs144.html
Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Well i purchased directly from the manufacturer. However i have come to know Mike at WS6Store pretty well and i didnt think they were carrying any alternators currently. So i called up Mike and suggested that they get ahold of Power Bastards and try to add them to their product lineup. Luckily just that has happened. These alternators are now available from WS6Store. The price is $249.99 for a great 220 amp alternator with the backing of a one year warranty. For anyone looking for a dressed up piece the alternators are available in standard finish, chrome, or any color powder coat, of course for an additional charge. It is highly suggested that you also add a 0 gauge power wire from the alternator to the battery. Since the factory 8 gauge cannot carry a full 220 amps safely. I added the 0 gauge plug an inline 220 amp fuse just incase this massive wire gets a nick. I will post up some pics as soon as i get a chance to click a few. I am already done with the install so it shouldnt be to long. The alternator supplies a full 14 volts at idle, i am not sure what my factory one put out at idle since it is dead now and i cant test it. Others in the past have only been around 10 volts. If anyone has any questions please send them my way.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whats the Amperage at idle?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Alternator is installed. As advertised i hooked up a meter and it does truely charge at 14.4v at idle. Great product with even faster shipping.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

There are many decent companies on the market. Excessive amperage was a popular one also. My favorite so far from all the research I did was 4alterstart.com, 2 year warranty (best out of any company) and offered a 275amp version and idled around 120amp and ran 14.5volts. The new ones now do 14.7v. More than enough power to push 155+ db on term labs on a sumthump deep box with 2 15" Kicker L7s and a kicker 2500.2 amp (3000rms). This was about 2 years ago. I posted on here about it. Subthump still has my car pics on their site, it was an odd setup. http://www.subthump.com/images/camar...0p%2015L7s.jpg

All of these companies have since updated their specs.
So they are even better. But 4alterstart was the only company to give you a benchmark paperwork to show you what your alternator does. The only company to do this. So 2 year warranty and a benchmark results, was a no brainer for me. Expect to pay $400+ on power above 250amps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Output Alternator